• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

[2024 Six Nations] Scotland vs England - 24/02/24

Johnny Sexton was a Munster legend and we all love him. His time leading Ireland to another World Cup success will never be forgotten.

I thought Johnny Sexton was the definition of 'quarter finalist' in the dictionary.

Johnny Sexton is a poor man's Owen the legend Farrell. He's basically only got a load of caps due to how poor his completion in Ireland has been.

Apparently there's a poll being conducted amongst Racing 92 fans to decide whether Sexton or Dan Carter is their SGOAT No 10. It's currently neck and neck and so might need some Leinster interference to tip the balance.

Because Spencer is not Care in his unusual longevity, and not Smith in his ability. It's not that it's impossible, it's just unlikely that a player who no coach has ever been that keen on will get his big moment between the ages of 31 and 35

Exactly the kind of point I was making about McGuigan a couple of days ago. At that age some players, not all, can still be playing close to their best, but if the international stage hasn't really beckoned by then the strong balance of probability says it won't other than in an exceptional injury crisis.

... If I was a betting man I'd pick Scotland by 10+.
If I was a betting man I'd take you up on that.
Most recent Calcutta cups have been fine margins, and for all of the Borthwick stodginess I don't think you can write off England grinding out a turgid, narrow, ugly win.

The last two CC's could have gone either way. The lead changed hands a few times last year and Scotland snuck back in front just before 80th minute. The year before LCD had a brain fart at Murrayfield and got carded. Russell took advantage and Scotland edged the win but I always felt we were fortunate to win that day as England's pack were more dominant. I think this will be another close one.

The last two CC's could have gone either way. The lead changed hands a few times last year and Scotland snuck back in front just before 80th minute. The year before LCD had a brain fart at Murrayfield and got carded. Russell took advantage and Scotland edged the win but I always felt we were fortunate to win that day as England's pack were more dominant. I think this will be another close one.
I had forgotten about that infuriating brain fart.

I suspect this will be a close one (as long as FR isn't allowed to constantly tear this new English D apart), England showing a bit of heart when down on the scoreboard which has been lacking for a while, Scotland looking good for long periods and sometimes vulnerable, having said that on another day they could have popped the France game at the death, really hoping England can get it done, this time.

Honestly don't hold out much hope for England at Murrayfield these days.

I have a bad feeling this will be a very bad game for us. 2 teams have now very clearly exposed how bad our wide defence is. Short of a seriously good set of defence training, that weakness is still going to be there and Scotland will definitely know it.

If our entire gameplay revolves around trying to shut down Russell and hope he makes a mistake, we will lose. We need to shut him down and his options. He can handle us getting in his face.

If our entire gameplay revolves around trying to shut down Russell and hope he makes a mistake, we will lose. We need to shut him down and his options. He can handle us getting in his face.

This is exactly why Tuipolotu has been so key. Having a ball playing 12 who can step in as first receiver keeps teams guessing when Russell understandably has a target on his back.

I said before the RWC England would perform well and make a semi, I also expect them to get 3/4 wins in the 6N, I dont think they stand a chance v Ireland, but they may well beat both Scotland and France.

It's almost a 2nd place finish by default, England havnt done much well, but Italy and Wales are poor quality currently, and Scotland look a bit wishy washy currently. I expect England to win.

I think this season was Scotlands genuine crack at a 2nd place finish, if not now when?! Townsend is a very good coach, good man, and in my opinion has developed a better squad than Scotland have seen this century, I just think they're stagnating now though

I have a bad feeling this will be a very bad game for us. 2 teams have now very clearly exposed how bad our wide defence is. Short of a seriously good set of defence training, that weakness is still going to be there and Scotland will definitely know it.

You may be right about the rush D, but I'm not really concerned. England need to change it up and a new defensive system, that's proven to work, is a good start. They need to keep plugging away at it. There was improvement in the Wales game and as long as things continue to improve incrementally I'm not too fussed about the result. Of course I'd like to see England win, and I still think there's enough talent on hand to make that happen. Yes Russell is pretty handy, but his mercurial nature also makes him a liability, and let's be honest; is there any team in the world who are better at clutching defeat from the jaws of victory than Scotland. Probably fair to say it's theirs to lose, but losing is something they have down to an art.

Russell to have a moment of madness in the final minute, ball goes to Earl who ploughs through 5 Scotsman dotting down between the posts, conversion scored, England win by 5. You heard it here first.

So what are England going to do in terms of selection. With Manu and Lawrence back in the mix, and Mitchell out, there are some interesting questions. My suspicion is that Dingwall hasn't done enough to cement his place, and SB will look to the bulk on Manu in the centre, and have Lawrence off the bench to ensure the pressure up the middle is kept on all game. He will also want to counter the threat of Tuipulotu which may warrant a change.

Beyond that I can't really see many changes occurring. Ford will hold his berth no doubt, imagine the pack will stay the same, and Daly will still be selected on the wing. Just hope that that IFW gets a decent run out this game and chance to show what he can do.

The last two games Scotland have lost it in the last 20 minutes, and England have won in the last 20 minutes. Think that could be a critical part of the match and we need to make sure we are bringing on fresh legs that can win games.

Fingers crossed for dry conditions.

So what are England going to do in terms of selection. With Manu and Lawrence back in the mix, and Mitchell out, there are some interesting questions. My suspicion is that Dingwall hasn't done enough to cement his place, and SB will look to the bulk on Manu in the centre, and have Lawrence off the bench to ensure the pressure up the middle is kept on all game. He will also want to counter the threat of Tuipulotu which may warrant a change.

Beyond that I can't really see many changes occurring. Ford will hold his berth no doubt, imagine the pack will stay the same, and Daly will still be selected on the wing. Just hope that that IFW gets a decent run out this game and chance to show what he can do.

The last two games Scotland have lost it in the last 20 minutes, and England have won in the last 20 minutes. Think that could be a critical part of the match and we need to make sure we are bringing on fresh legs that can win games.

Fingers crossed for dry conditions.

My guess is Lawrence to start with Manu on the bench. Wouldn't be at all surprised to see Martin waltz straight back in to the starting XV either.

Latest posts