• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

England 2023/24

Speaking of props and what Baxter was saying...where do you stand on it

Do you want an all action prop who can scrummage alright...or do you want a brick toilet who offers little in regards to playmaking or all action...but can scrummage a rhino and rock solid in defence.
It's got to be balance for me, I want brick a as props as long as they tackle hard and carry on the tight areas, then I want an all action back row.

I think there are a lot of 'mobile' props in the premiership who aren't solid in the scrum, don't really carry that well in the loose, don't carry well in the tight and tackle very averagely for a forward.

I think they get away with it because they are 'mobile' but in reality they just arnt that good at anything other than hitting a few more rucks than a lock.

Was he good in the scrum or not? I can't remember.
He was okay, but not great (NB, that's me judging, as a scrum half... take from that what you like).

But I never judge a coach by what they were like as a player - for some players it's purely instinctive, and they just can't put it into words, let alone words that will actually inspire anyone; others may be very limited in their capacity, but huge thinkers about the game, know all the theories, but can't themselves put it into practice.

Last edited:

Do you want an all action prop who can scrummage alright...or do you want a brick toilet who offers little in regards to playmaking or all action...but can scrummage a rhino and rock solid in defence.
Core duties should trump everything for forwards, doubly so for front rowers

He was okay, but not great.

But I never judge a coach by what they were like as a player - for some players it's purely instinctive, and they just can't put it into words, let alone words that will actually inspire anyone; others may be very limited in their capacity, but huge thinkers about the game, know all the theories, but can't themselves put it into practice.
Fair, and if he's been part of the coaching staff that's brought through Obano then that's a big feather in his cap

FTR, Flatman used to say that Nat was the best technical scrummager he'd played with.
But then, he kinda would say that, wouldn't he

So with regards to someone like Ehrem Painter who's getting a lot of talk time..were Saints asking him to be a prop who he is never going to be whereas Baxter is simply saying...scrum hard and tackle...similar to say Cole

Would you have Painter in the next Saxons or England sqaud if he continues in the form he's started?

I think a prop should at least be able to hold their own reliably in a scrum before looking at other stuff. I'm not so fussed about props winning penalties in the scrum, just as long as they aren't conceding them.

Tbf he could find himself in the first choice 23 by the six nations, Stuart is looking terrible this season
Imagine Borthwick is begging Cole to stay on another season while they try and find a successor

Tbf he could find himself in the first choice 23 by the six nations, Stuart is looking terrible this season
Imagine Borthwick is begging Cole to stay on another season while they try and find a successor

I see no other reason why Cole hasn't announced his retirement tbh.
I guess Cole prob feels he owes Borthwick due to getting called up again.

Yeah I've said before I bet SB is trying to persuade Cole to stay on for the 6n at least

Cole starting with big Painter to come on at 50mins would be a good scrummaging tight head pairing.

I see no other reason why Cole hasn't announced his retirement tbh.
I guess Cole prob feels he owes Borthwick due to getting called up again
Plus pro sports players are insanely competitive just by nature - he knows he can still hang so why wouldn't he go another season? Especially at 25k a cap - a six nations and a summer tour could net him £200k

Plus pro sports players are insanely competitive just by nature - he knows he can still hang so why wouldn't he go another season? Especially at 25k a cap - a six nations and a summer tour could net him £200k

Especially since at his age his "prime earning age" is long gone.

Well the 8s are dropping like flies...mercer out for the months...now Barbeary looks injured again...

Sadly, Barbeary and injured usually belong in the same sentence.

I think he was a way down the pecking order anyway. Leaving Earl at 8 is probably the best option right now, but Willis should be in with a good shout and Dombrandt has been in brilliant form (deserves a recall IMO).

Interesting article in the Times talking about as the Vunipolae and Manu come towards the end so another generation of Pacific Island origins is emerging. Those name checked include Tonga'uiga and Tuipuloto juniors, the latter highly rated at hooker, Filisau, Tuima, P Coka, Satala and Ma'asi-White.

Sadly, Barbeary and injured usually belong in the same sentence.

I think he was a way down the pecking order anyway. Leaving Earl at 8 is probably the best option right now, but Willis should be in with a good shout and Dombrandt has been in brilliant form (deserves a recall IMO).
Well we'll see the pedigree of Tom Willis on Sunday when he faces a ferocious challenge...the mighty Falcons...;):p

Interesting article in the Times talking about as the Vunipolae and Manu come towards the end so another generation of Pacific Island origins is emerging. Those name checked include Tonga'uiga and Tuipuloto juniors, the latter highly rated at hooker, Filisau, Tuima, P Coka, Satala and Ma'asi-White.
Is it Russ Tuima at Exeter at lock, playing very well..providing alot of power to pack.

Latest posts