• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

2009 Season

S

SuperLeagueFan

Hi all,

This is my first post on these forums...

I'm also fairly new to rugby - I've also recently become a fan of the super league last season via the boots n all podcasts from sky sports. This season will be my first season watching the sport proper (sure I've saw the odd game here n there through the years - but this is the season I start following it religiously - just like I have with football).

I've become really interested in following the super league especially now that everything seems to have changed with the addition of 2 new teams and a new playoff structure in place - it really makes for an interesting season.

I'm hoping that by being on this forum I can find fellow super league fans and learn some more about the sport as the season progresses. maybe even contribute on here with some chat and knowledge.

I'm planning on attending the magic weekend cos it's in my city this year and well when else are you gonna be able to see 7 games on the same pitch?

anyway anyone else looking forward to the new season?

I sort of am, but in my view the new season doesn't start until next week, there's only the odd game or two this weekend.

Welcome to the sport of rugby league 'SuperLeagueFan' :)
Also nice to have Dale following SL as well :bravo:

In my experience it takes a good month or so for the players to get up to speed (as it were) with the intensity that SL is played at and also it can take a while for the players and the refs to adjust to any tinkering with the rules since the previous season but once everything falls into place just sit back and watch the fireworks :D

I always look forward to the start of a new season although like St Helens FC I also consider next week to be the true opening weekend.

After our (England) dismal performance in the world cup (apparently it was all the Stains players fault :p ;) ) I desparately need cheering up and what better way than another season of Rubgy League?

These days my 'in the flesh' experience of RL tends to be at Conference level where I suffer watching the East Lancs Lions who play just down the road from me but hopefully I'll get on to a few SL games as well this season ... most likely an occasional Wigan away game with my mate.

Enjoy your rugby league :D

I am more a rugby union person, but I do like watching the odd game of rugby league. The only team I would follow in the Super League would be the Catalans Dragons. League is a very interesting game, but not as good as union - in my opinion.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Gavin @ Feb 6 2009, 03:17 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
I am more a rugby union person, but I do like watching the odd game of rugby league. The only team I would follow in the Super League would be the Catalans Dragons. League is a very interesting game, but not as good as union - in my opinion.[/b]

I think the Dragons set such high standards for themselves last year that they may struggle to repeat the feat but I fully expect them to claim a playoff place with ease.

I wish more union fans had your attitude about league mate. Sometimes I despair at what I read on other forums although in fairness the bile spouted about union on league forums is every bit as bad.

I love both codes... league is my first love but union is a very close second.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Vambo @ Feb 6 2009, 03:32 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
I wish more union fans had your attitude about league mate. Sometimes I despair at what I read on other forums although in fairness the bile spouted about union on league forums is every bit as bad.[/b]
Agreed. I take the odd look at League Unlimited- the one eyed rubbish spouted there about Union is every bit as bad as the crap posted on Planet Rugby about League. I too enjoy League but am more of a Union fan. There's plenty the 15 man game can learn from the 13 man code.

As for the season ahead, hopefully the Celtic Crusaders can make some sort of positive impact. Roger Lewis is to be applauded for expanding Super League outside it's heartland into Wales and France. Hopefully in the not too distant future Lewis' decisions with regard expansion will lead to a more competitive international game.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Vambo @ Feb 7 2009, 03:32 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Gavin @ Feb 6 2009, 03:17 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I am more a rugby union person, but I do like watching the odd game of rugby league. The only team I would follow in the Super League would be the Catalans Dragons. League is a very interesting game, but not as good as union - in my opinion.[/b]

I think the Dragons set such high standards for themselves last year that they may struggle to repeat the feat but I fully expect them to claim a playoff place with ease.

I wish more union fans had your attitude about league mate. Sometimes I despair at what I read on other forums although in fairness the bile spouted about union on league forums is every bit as bad.

[/b][/quote]
Union would be my first love, but I have got into league over the past few years. Still don't understand some of the rules ;) Must admit though the League World Cup was fantastic, especially the final. I made a point of watching it and glad I did. No one believed New Zealand would win but the did, and won well.

It was the New Zealand player who played for the Dragons who got me interested in them. Can't remember his name, but he sort of played a fly-half role in league. :mellow:

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Gavin @ Feb 6 2009, 03:42 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
It was the New Zealand player who played for the Dragons who got me interested in them. Can't remember his name, but he sort of played a fly-half role in league. :mellow:[/b]

Stacey Jones.
Class player B)

I'm still waiting for him to come out of retirement for the 456th time.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (St Helens RLFC @ Feb 6 2009, 05:06 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
I'm still waiting for him to come out of retirement for the 456th time.[/b]

He's signed to play for the New Zealand Warriors this year hasn't he?

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Vambo @ Feb 7 2009, 01:32 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Gavin @ Feb 6 2009, 03:17 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

[/b][/quote]

LeagueUnlimited.. I dont know where to start about that forum. Biggest one eyed League supporters on the planet. Apparantly its illegal to support both codes :huh:

Latest posts