Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

M Two One

Tra la la la
TRF Legend
Club or Nation
Biarritz
Another season is coming to a close today and although there is just one more match to play, it could mean everything to some clubs. Brive currently sit in the final drop spot and things are not looking good for the former Heineken Cup winners. I have selected the top players of the regular season based on efficiency and overall contribution to their clubs. Some positions were more difficult than others and some players were squeezed in where appropriate.

I wanted to come back to post some analysis of the season and discuss the upcoming playoffs since I don't frequent forums anymore. It has been an interesting season with so many ups and downs, mainly due to injuries and other missing players from the cup. So, let's enjoy the final weeks of Top 14 rugby.

2psqe11.jpg
OLE AVEI is having a brilliant individual season. Aside from dominating on the defensive end for his newly promoted side UBB, the hooker has racked up 3 tries and man of the match honors. This has led to interest from several top clubs including a strong push from Stade Toulousain who were hoping to replace the soon-to-be-retiring William Servat in the first team. Instead, Avei has extended his contract for five years with UBB. Being well disciplined, levelheaded and very talented, Avei is a rare find in professional sports.

mh7us0.jpg
LIONEL FAURE has been a stalwart forward for ASM Clermont this season. Although he has not stood out individually throughout the season, his reliable play and leadership has been invaluable since Thomas Domingo picked up an early season ending injury. The powerhouse prop has appeared in every match for his club this season and will be an integral part of their push for a second Bouclier de Brennus.

1126592.jpg
EIFION LEWIS-ROBERTS has given Toulon a star power player up front to go along with solid players like Carl Hayman and Sébastien Bruno. Roberts has been a real threat on and off of the ball by scoring 4 tries and maintaining a constant physical presence to power the lineouts—all this despite receiving less playing time compared to his counterpart.

20f53yc.jpg
PASCAL PAPÉ returned from the Rugby World Cup on fire. Despite only featuring in roughly half of Stade Français' matches during the regular season Papé has scored 5 tries and has been a dominant leader for his club up front, most notably in the lineouts.

ve7oz8.jpg
JONE QOVU has been one of the biggest standouts in the league this season. The versatile forward can play comfortably in several positions being utilized early in the season as an openside flanker, and eventually being used dominantly from the bench as a 5. Excellent decision making, athleticism and pure power have given Qovu an edge everywhere on the pitch.

ejakxt.jpg
YANNICK NYANGA has been instrumental in giving Toulouse plenty of hope early in the season. The club knew they could rely on Nyanga to keep them in contention while much of their first team was away during the Rugby World Cup and he did not disappoint. The flanker has been named man of the match on several occasions, putting together exceptional individual performances to prove that he is not a backup to anyone at the southwestern giant. This season Nyanga has shown rugby fans and critics that he should be representing his country as a regular starter sooner rather than later. -MVP-

z74nb.jpg
MAMUKA GORGODZE returned from the cup with plenty on his mind, mostly some built up frustrations that he took out on his opposition. The physical and versatile Georgian forward is often played as an openside flanker and is not afraid to push the limits at both ends. This season has been no exception. Gorgodzilla's return to Montpellier had the most significant effect in turning the club's season around, from near the bottom of the table to a comfortable playoff position.

29toi0.jpg
ALEX TULOU is having a breakout season with Montpellier. The number 8 has scored 7 tries so far and has been unstoppable as one-third of what can honestly be considered to be the best back row in French rugby today. It took a little while for everything to kick in, but Tulou has definitely been instrumental in helping his club turn their awful early start completely around.

2aflero.jpg
DIMITRI YACHVILI is a tough choice, not because of what he has done compared to others at his position, but for the amount of time he's spent playing. Despite only featuring in half of Biarritz's matches, his presence is obviously felt every time he steps onto the pitch. On several occasions, Yachvili's boot has single handedly won matches, not only giving the club enough to push out of the drop zone and save their season, but possibly win some silverware in the process.

f0bz7m.jpg
JONNY WILKINSON has been a rock at fly-half for Toulon. His kicking game has been solid and his leadership is invaluable. Since returning from the Rugby World Cup he's remained healthy and always reliable. Although he is getting on in his age, he's not letting up and should be able to continue pushing the limits for some years to come. He is currently ranked third among all scorers.

2wmdm3k.jpg
TIMOCI NAGUSA is currently tied for first in tries for the regular season with 10. Although he has been one of the two best wingers in the league, he hasn't been as consistent as many feel he could be. There is a lot more to be desired of Nagusa, but despite all of this he's still having a great season. Without his offensive explosiveness, Montpellier would have continued to struggle out of the gate.

2zji70k.jpg
WESLEY FOFANA has been a consistent performer for ASM Clermont throughout the season and the best at his position, despite not being a prolific scorer as many feel he could be. Instead, he has been an excellent team player, a model at unselfish and smart play on and off of the ball. His decision making and athletic ability have given him the ability to pull out exceptional performances, earning him man of the match honors.

4ha43q.jpg
HENRY CHAVANCY has been one of the top scoring centres in France with 7 tries and on occasion his individual performances alone have given his club what they need to win matches. Chavancy is a machine, racking up the minutes and giving his club consistently solid games every week he is selected. Without him and Qovu, Racing's big season could've been an even bigger flop.

2hgfvdl.jpg
ROMAIN MARTIAL is a shoe in, mostly due to the unbelievable tear he has been on late into the season. He has the second highest efficiency ratio in the league just behind Dimitri Yachvili. In his last 6 matches Martial has scored a try in each one and is currently tied for first in most tries with 10 in only 13 matches played. The young(ish) winger will look to feature more prominently with his club next season as Castres continue to pull diamonds from the rough year after year.

wwjd51.jpg
JEAN-MARCELLIN BUTTIN started this breakout season at 19-years-old and the French star has given his club a new top pick at the fullback position as he looks to become the best in the world. Although he hasn't featured in every match and will notably be out until the playoffs start, Buttin has scored 6 tries and has been an incredible playmaker. His precision passing and decision making have earned him top honors on a very deep squad. He is one of the rare non-point kicking star fullbacks in the league.

Who just missed out?

1jx9ib.jpg
vetyxj.jpg
2467sbt.jpg
29pqemg.jpg
1tqag6.jpg

Notable players not selected.

Front row: Arnaud Héguy (Biarritz), Benjamin Kayser (Clermont), Karena Wihongi (Castres)

Second row: Abdellatif Boutaty (Bayonne), Yoann Maestri (Toulouse), Arnaud Mela (Brive)

Back row: Steffon Armitage (Toulon), Damien Chouly (Perpignan), Chris Masoe (Castres)

Half backs: James Hook (Perpignan), Brock James (Clermont), Luke McAlister (Toulouse)

Backs: Timoci Matanavou (Toulouse), Martín Bustos Moyano (Montpellier), Romain Teulet (Castres)

Last edited:
Good post, Buttin Does seem like a top knotch player.

It's odd to see Fofana not being labelled as a scorer at club level which he evidently was for France , to me this suggests some striking differences in either the French style of play in contrast to Clermonts or the Defence of 6N teams in contrast to T14 teams.

Yach was the ONLY choice at BO!!

I also agree about the notable all round contribution of Arnaud Heguy, who is so missed at the line out when he is not on the field, but feel that Gray must have run him close even though he seems to be the one to lose out when Imanol makes one of his iincreasingly rare appearances. Other than that I would only comment on Thion and Balshaw who despite being missing today seem to have been at least ever present. Is there anywhere one can get statistics on number of games (and lengths of games) played by individual players in a season?

2psqe11.jpg
OLE AVEI is having a brilliant individual season. Aside from dominating on the defensive end for his newly promoted side UBB, the hooker has racked up 3 tries and man of the match honors. This has led to interest from several top clubs including a strong push from Stade Toulousain who were hoping to replace the soon-to-be-retiring William Servat in the first team. Instead, Avei has extended his contract for five years with UBB. Being well disciplined, levelheaded and very talented, Avei is a rare find in professional sports.

I agree here, Ole Avei is a great ball carrier, and gets metres every time. Very close between him and Kayser who you put on your bottom list.

mh7us0.jpg
LIONEL FAURE has been a stalwart forward for ASM Clermont this season. Although he has not stood out individually throughout the season, his reliable play and leadership has been invaluable since Thomas Domingo picked up an early season ending injury. The powerhouse prop has appeared in every match for his club this season and will be an integral part of their push for a second Bouclier de Brennus.

not so sure here, Faure has been quite good, but I also rate highly Vasil Kakovin (who has signed for Toulouse) and Na'ama Leleimalefaga

1126592.jpg
EIFION LEWIS-ROBERTS has given Toulon a star power player up front to go along with solid players like Carl Hayman and Sébastien Bruno. Roberts has been a real threat on and off of the ball by scoring 4 tries and maintaining a constant physical presence to power the lineouts—all this despite receiving less playing time compared to his counterpart.

you do realise you have deux pilier gauche in this team?

Lewis-Roberts has been quite good, he was average at first but after he was announced as going to Sale he hit some very good form

pound for pound scrummaging, I would rate Giorgi Jgenti as the best in the league, he's like Adam Jones, doesn't really do too much with ball in hand but a monster at the scrum, a shame he will never get to show it on the international stage though

20f53yc.jpg
PASCAL PAPÉ returned from the Rugby World Cup on fire. Despite only featuring in roughly half of Stade Français' matches during the regular season Papé has scored 5 tries and has been a dominant leader for his club up front, most notably in the lineouts.

agree, most people I think would agree Papé has been the best lock in the Top 14 this season

ve7oz8.jpg
JONE QOVU has been one of the biggest standouts in the league this season. The versatile forward can play comfortably in several positions being utilized early in the season as an openside flanker, and eventually being used dominantly from the bench as a 5. Excellent decision making, athleticism and pure power have given Qovu an edge everywhere on the pitch.

Qovu is a powerhouse, however he's not a complete player, not the greatest in the lineout and greedy in the 22, I would have gone for Maestri who you named below

ejakxt.jpg
YANNICK NYANGA has been instrumental in giving Toulouse plenty of hope early in the season. The club knew they could rely on Nyanga to keep them in contention while much of their first team was away during the Rugby World Cup and he did not disappoint. The flanker has been named man of the match on several occasions, putting together exceptional individual performances to prove that he is not a backup to anyone at the southwestern giant. This season Nyanga has shown rugby fans and critics that he should be representing his country as a regular starter sooner rather than later. -MVP-

been immense, recovered from his injury problems, and has shown the great player he is, I think he should be first in line to play back row for France now Bonnaire has retired

z74nb.jpg
MAMUKA GORGODZE returned from the cup with plenty on his mind, mostly some built up frustrations that he took out on his opposition. The physical and versatile Georgian forward is often played as an openside flanker and is not afraid to push the limits at both ends. This season has been no exception. Gorgodzilla's return to Montpellier had the most significant effect in turning the club's season around, from near the bottom of the table to a comfortable playoff position.

simply immense

29toi0.jpg
ALEX TULOU is having a breakout season with Montpellier. The number 8 has scored 7 tries so far and has been unstoppable as one-third of what can honestly be considered to be the best back row in French rugby today. It took a little while for everything to kick in, but Tulou has definitely been instrumental in helping his club turn their awful early start completely around.

as you say it took some time for him to come good, I thought he was poor during the World Cup period where Montpellier struggled, but has hit form over the past few months, I would rate Masoe ahead of him though because he's been good all season and is the talisman guiding a worse team to overachieve, Tulou plays behind a great pack with a great scrum and tow other great back rowers

2aflero.jpg
DIMITRI YACHVILI is a tough choice, not because of what he has done compared to others at his position, but for the amount of time he's spent playing. Despite only featuring in half of Biarritz's matches, his presence is obviously felt every time he steps onto the pitch. On several occasions, Yachvili's boot has single handedly won matches, not only giving the club enough to push out of the drop zone and save their season, but possibly win some silverware in the process.

Biarritz rely on Yachvili way too much, they are not the same without him

also Maxime Machenaud of Agen has been superb, especially for the first half of the season when Agen were in the top 6, Dupuy has been good with Stade too but didn't do well with France however

f0bz7m.jpg
JONNY WILKINSON has been a rock at fly-half for Toulon. His kicking game has been solid and his leadership is invaluable. Since returning from the Rugby World Cup he's remained healthy and always reliable. Although he is getting on in his age, he's not letting up and should be able to continue pushing the limits for some years to come. He is currently ranked third among all scorers.

Trinh-Duc

2wmdm3k.jpg
TIMOCI NAGUSA is currently tied for first in tries for the regular season with 10. Although he has been one of the two best wingers in the league, he hasn't been as consistent as many feel he could be. There is a lot more to be desired of Nagusa, but despite all of this he's still having a great season. Without his offensive explosiveness, Montpellier would have continued to struggle out of the gate.

yes he's been good, has his flaws however, I agree with him in this side, Matanavou started off well but cost Toulouse the Edinburgh match with his incapability of catching a high ball so he gets knocked out of the team

33nyept.jpg
WESLEY FOFANA has been a consistent performer for ASM Clermont throughout the season and the best at his position, despite not being a prolific scorer as many feel he could be. Instead, he has been an excellent team player, a model at unselfish and smart play on and off of the ball. His decision making and athletic ability have given him the ability to pull out exceptional performances, earning him man of the match honors.

I agree with Fofana in the team, however I disagree that he not a prolific scorer, 8 tries in 23 matches isn't bad for a centre, another thing that is wrong is he is an excellent team player, and an unselfish player, I think he's a great player who does great angles, but he is a ball hogg, he's never going to pass when he thinks he can score

4ha43q.jpg
HENRY CHAVANCY has been one of the top scoring centres in France with 7 tries and on occasion his individual performances alone have given his club what they need to win matches. Chavancy is a machine, racking up the minutes and giving his club consistently solid games every week he is selected. Without him and Qovu, Racing's big season could've been an even bigger flop.

Less standouts in this position, can't think of many strong contenders apart from maybe Fritz perhaps

I disagree about the comment on Qovu and Chavancy though, for me it's without Imhoff and Bobo they would have been an even bigger flop

Without Imhoff they would have lost to Stade, Bordeaux and Perpignan, without Bobo won them the match against Bayonne

Chavancy has benefited a lot from Imhoff's runs, there is no way he would have had that try scoring rate without Imhoff, off the top of my head I can think of two instances where Imhoff has set up Chavancy, once where pressure applied by Imhoff on the Brive full back which allowed Chavancy to score and an offload from Imhoff against Castres which allowed Chavancy to score

2hgfvdl.jpg
ROMAIN MARTIAL is a shoe in, mostly due to the unbelievable tear he has been on late into the season. He has the second highest efficiency ratio in the league just behind Dimitri Yachvili. In his last 6 matches Martial has scored a try in each one and is currently tied for first in most tries with 10 in only 13 matches played. The young(ish) winger will look to feature more prominently with his club next season as Castres continue to pull diamonds from the rough year after year.

this is a strange one, he was dreadful last season, this season he has been a great finisher, I don't think he's good enough for France however, he is a donkey with the boot, in many ways he is actually the French version of Cuthbert

wwjd51.jpg
JEAN-MARCELLIN BUTTIN started this breakout season at 19-years-old and the French star has given his club a new top pick at the fullback position as he looks to become the best in the world. Although he hasn't featured in every match and will notably be out until the playoffs start, Buttin has scored 6 tries and has been an incredible playmaker. His precision passing and decision making have earned him top honors on a very deep squad. He is one of the rare non-point kicking star fullbacks in the league.

Buttin is a great prospect, however I have no idea why Clermont keep Byrne for the big matches ahead of him, I think it maybe just because they have paid the money for Byrne, I feel sorry for Floch too as he is a homegrown player and now third choice

If if was a French fan I would be so frustrated at a pointless signing of a 32 year old foreigner who's past his best just looking for some money ans starts in Heineken Cup semi finals ahead ahead of Buttin, Byrne is just holding Buttin back, and relegate a good French full back in Floch, who is certainly good enough to start at a Top 14 side, and is far too good to be third choice

Clermont really don't need Byrne, they have two good full backs who are homegrown

another mention is for Lucas González Amorosino, who has done very well, I may put him ahead of Buttin based on he's started Montpellier's big games, although it's hard to choose as both have been very good

Last edited:
Here is a little bio piece that Total Rugby did on Gorgodze, talks about the World Cups and his time in France, I voted for him as Player of the Year, he has been nothing short of amazing.

Last edited by a moderator:
Tony Manx said:
Is there anywhere one can get statistics on number of games (and lengths of games) played by individual players in a season?

Yes of course, please visit itsrugby.fr. From there you can check season statistic leaders and game-by-game stats from the calendrier.

@ PD, check your inbox.

I agree that some of the players you've mentioned over the ones I have picked are better all around, but remember that I am rating these based on the 2011-12 Top 14 rugby season only. I do mentioned the ECC once, but only to maximize Yachvili's immense significance to his club. I agree that they rely on him far too much.

psychic duck said:
you do realise you have deux pilier gauche in this team?

Indeed, I do, that is why I mentioned this—

M Two One said:
Some positions were more difficult than others and some players were squeezed in where appropriate.

I originally wanted to add Wihongi, but I felt that overall among all props I could not leave out Lewis-Roberts with the excellent season he has had.

It is now official, bye-bye Brive. Please keep in mind that we may not see the club again for a very long time as with their lengthy high paying contracts, they will all likely file for bankruptcy this Summer and fall into the third or fourth division. What a shame.

Every home side won with the exception of Lyon, who do not deserve to be in the top flight with the season they've had. With Grenoble more than ready to take on the Top 14 bundle next season, I'm sure that Bayonne and even Perpignan will be slipping down the pecking ladder. This is even more significant since both Pau and La Rochelle seem prepared for another go in the top flight. Both clubs have solid payrolls and enough cash to spend to get them where they want to be in a hurry.

From here it just matters if everything fits.

On to the playoffs! Is anyone else at the edge of their seat for Castres v Montpellier?

How do you rate my fellow country man Vincent Debaty after this season?

How do you rate my fellow country man Vincent Debaty after this season?

Well, he didn't see a lot of playing time considering that Clermont is so deep, but his defensive contributions were solid when he featured in those 13 matches. He should move to a different club now that Domingo has recovered, as from here he will all likely be in the third unit and deserves more considering how reliable he has been when called upon. What do you think he should do? Should he stick with Clermont or move on to receive more playing time?

Debaty is a good impact prop from the bench, he has done well

Well, he didn't see a lot of playing time considering that Clermont is so deep, but his defensive contributions were solid when he featured in those 13 matches. He should move to a different club now that Domingo has recovered, as from here he will all likely be in the third unit and deserves more considering how reliable he has been when called upon. What do you think he should do? Should he stick with Clermont or move on to receive more playing time?

he will get more time next season because Lionel Faure is retiring at the end of the season

Well, I didn't see that many Top 14 games lately but he didn't do a bad job during the 6 Nations.
For his personal grow and development as well for Belgian rugby ( altho he plays for France) he should aim at becoming a regular starter.

Well, I didn't see that many Top 14 games lately but he didn't do a bad job during the 6 Nations.
For his personal grow and development as well for Belgian rugby ( altho he plays for France) he should aim at becoming a regular starter.

Exactly, and with Domingo returning and Clermont likely to bring in another prop this Summer, it could mean that he will be stuck where he is. I'd like to see him move to UBB and play up front with Ole Avei.

Latest posts