• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

2012 Heineken Cup Final Preview

Based what I've already said I've not nearly enough of Gilroy with ball in hand, cos he spends a fair portion of Ulster games chasing after kicks and freezing his ***s off.

Already forgotten his Quarter Final try have you ? I assume you see him more as the Irish answer to Shane Williams then ? Anyone who thinks Trimble is "an excellent finisher" is probably best placed to comment on forward play, Trimble's selection, for Ulster & Ireland is based purely on his defensive skills, he's a bruiser who knows when to step in and nail the outside centre. Would an "excellent finisher" have 11 tries in 46 tests ? Chris Ashton's got 15 in 23 & if you listen to the media he's hopeless and should be dropped.

I remember the try, he outpaced Hurley, stepped Jones, and then stepped a pathetic tackle by Zebo (who is a known liability in defence) and then finished, didn't bulldoze through anybody

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/JYZJuHJcfdQ" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen=""></iframe>

Surely the whole point of a forum is to argue and discuss, if you don't want anyone replying to anything you write maybe you should just have you own site, maybe call it "I'm great, me" ?

don't be stupid, you often get FACTS wrong, such as Gorgodze going to Toulon, and when corrected you still argue about it, there is no opinion about it

as for Gilroy, I would say a better comparison for him would be Fitzgerald maybe

he is not like George North and is not a bulldozer type of winger

this is like you're trying to argue that 1+1=3, nothing really to "argue and discuss"

Last edited:
they can if they like, I think you've just discovered why I'm not a geography blogger, also do you have any idea how difficult it is to find a map of Irish counties (in England, I imagine there's a couple of them knocking about in Ireland) ?

As an Englishman who chose to follow his support of Ulster Rugby to absurd degrees, its pretty easy. Wikipedia will tell you how the province of Ulster is divided up, just as it will tell you that Ulster Rugby represents 9 counties, not 6.

It's not the biggest mistake in the world, but it is a mistake, and as a friendly word of advice I'd avoid touching on the political side of things in articles on Irish rugby in future unless you're damn sure you know what you're on about.

edit: I'd also agree the North-Gilroy comparison is a weird one.

Last edited:
Is anyone else wondering why there was a 6 month gap between my blogs ? Personally I can't wait for Psychic Duck to step down from his pedestal and actually write a blog, easy to criticise isn't it mate ? Bit different to grow the balls to actually write something. What facts have I got wrong in this blog then ? None cos there's none in it, it's my opinion of how the Cup final's gonna go, I suppose you're gonna tell me that I've mistaken my own opinion and I actually think Ulster are the Barbarians with red socks ?

As an Englishman who chose to follow his support of Ulster Rugby to absurd degrees, its pretty easy. Wikipedia will tell you how the province of Ulster is divided up, just as it will tell you that Ulster Rugby represents 9 counties, not 6.

It's not the biggest mistake in the world, but it is a mistake, and as a friendly word of advice I'd avoid touching on the political side of things in articles on Irish rugby in future unless you're damn sure you know what you're on about.

Won't be a problem man, won't be posting anything again. It's not worth trying to convert some of the 1 eyed keyboard jockeys on this "forum".

Based what I've already said I've not nearly enough of Gilroy with ball in hand, cos he spends a fair portion of Ulster games chasing after kicks and freezing his ***s off.

Already forgotten his Quarter Final try have you ? I assume you see him more as the Irish answer to Shane Williams then ? Anyone who thinks Trimble is "an excellent finisher" is probably best placed to comment on forward play, Trimble's selection, for Ulster & Ireland is based purely on his defensive skills, he's a bruiser who knows when to step in and nail the outside centre. Would an "excellent finisher" have 11 tries in 46 tests ? Chris Ashton's got 15 in 23 & if you listen to the media he's hopeless and should be dropped.

On the right wing yes Trimble is an excellent finisher not in scoring a ridiculous amount of tries but in the art of getting the ball down when he has no right to e.g. his tries vs Leicester. The majority of his caps have been on the left. Tell me he's only selected for his defense after watching this it's one of his main assets but the main reason he's picked is for being a strong ball carrier who consistently pushes the gainline something many Irish backs can't do.

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/ryV6bLGdiZg" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

No I haven't forgotten Gilroy's try here it is:

<iframe src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/JYZJuHJcfdQ" allowfullscreen="" frameborder="0" height="315" width="560"></iframe>

name and shame the players he runs over.

Last edited:
Is anyone else wondering why there was a 6 month gap between my blogs ? Personally I can't wait for Psychic Duck to step down from his pedestal and actually write a blog, easy to criticise isn't it mate ? Bit different to grow the balls to actually write something. What facts have I got wrong in this blog then ? None cos there's none in it, it's my opinion of how the Cup final's gonna go, I suppose you're gonna tell me that I've mistaken my own opinion and I actually think Ulster are the Barbarians with red socks ?

firstly, your article states a load of stats, and to be honest it is mostly stats not opinion

secondly, if you read what I've posted I have corrected factual errors, such as Gorgodze will play for Toulon, the definition of since, and you still argue about it, when there is no debate

secondly, I have actually written a number of articles on this forum, so get your facts right

http://www.therugbyforum.com/forum/showthread.php?25134-Transfers-2012-13
http://www.therugbyforum.com/forum/showthread.php?27072-What-should-be-the-H-Cup-qualification-system
http://www.therugbyforum.com/forum/showthread.php?27284-Romanian-rugby-in-it-s-last-days
http://www.therugbyforum.com/forum/showthread.php?25524-RWC-Review-No.-9-Samoa
http://www.therugbyforum.com/forum/showthread.php?25578-RWC-Review-No.-8-Argentina
http://www.therugbyforum.com/forum/showthread.php?25595-RWC-Review-No.-4-Wales
http://www.therugbyforum.com/forum/showthread.php?25454-Hanno-Dirksen-pledges-allegiance-to-Wales
http://www.therugbyforum.com/forum/...s-who-should-be-signed-by-a-big-European-side

Last edited:
<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/hs-_Xfy4Dcg" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

So we got one of our only bloggers to leave the forum just because he had a bit of a brainfart on who Craig Gilroy was, well done lads.

Not really if he has indeed left it's because he couldn't take some critiscism when he was indeed wrong. Not exactly a little brainfart on Gilroy either look over his previous posts. He persisted in saying Gilroy's style is that of an unstoppable runner. We have all had brainfarts but you have to be able to admit when you're wrong especially when it's so obvious. Also the counties of Ulster aren't so hard to find with a quick google search.

Last edited:
That's not the point, he puts a lot of work into his blogs and their good to read and he was right that Ulster will probably play ten man rugby and try to take Leinsters outside backs out of the game, he was also right about Ulster being the only Northern Irish team as their home is in Belfast and the majority of their players are Northern Irish. He was just trying to defend his views because he was given two pages worth of criticism and no encouragement apart from a few people.

Last edited:
Yep. It's really bad when you put a load of effort into something, only for people to tear it to shreds. Even if there are some factual errors included in them, the first thing that should be mentioned is a "thanks for the good read". Often I'll give these a read and don't comment to show my appreciation which is bad enough. Obviously these are designed to get discussion and differing views are totally fine, but it's best not to rip into a few inaccuracies.

I personally think of Ulster as a more Northern Irish team as do many people outside the Irelands. Yes, geographically it does include some of the Republic of Ireland, but it's still the sole representation of Northern Ireland.

You can't really criticize opinions of players as wrong. They may seem strange, but it may just mean that the moments that you watch a player play, are different from the moments others have watched. Obviously the more you watch a player, the better idea you have of their strengths and limitations, but you can't really criticize perspective.

No need to bring up the Gorgodze issue. It wasn't even in this blog and it's just an attack on a posters credibility rather than a constructive remark. It may have been a mistake or read from a faulty source, but there are enough wrong rumors of player transfers that one could be forgiven by getting the odd one wrong.

I don't see them as a poor attacking side, but rather a very patient side that builds pressure and then take the opportunities that present themselves.

Yep. It's really bad when you put a load of effort into something, only for people to tear it to shreds. Even if there are some factual errors included in them, the first thing that should be mentioned is a "thanks for the good read". Often I'll give these a read and don't comment to show my appreciation which is bad enough. Obviously these are designed to get discussion and differing views are totally fine, but it's best not to rip into a few inaccuracies.

I personally think of Ulster as a more Northern Irish team as do many people outside the Irelands. Yes, geographically it does include some of the Republic of Ireland, but it's still the sole representation of Northern Ireland.

You can't really criticize opinions of players as wrong. They may seem strange, but it may just mean that the moments that you watch a player play, are different from the moments others have watched. Obviously the more you watch a player, the better idea you have of their strengths and limitations, but you can't really criticize perspective.

No need to bring up the Gorgodze issue. It wasn't even in this blog and it's just an attack on a posters credibility rather than a constructive remark. It may have been a mistake or read from a faulty source, but there are enough wrong rumors of player transfers that one could be forgiven by getting the odd one wrong.

I feel you've misunderstood TRF nickdnz

There were a few factual errors pointed out by people, and this guy argues mightily trying to say that they are correct

you mention the Gorgodze thing, I just pointed out that he wasn't going to play for Toulon, which is a fact, and then Buck Mitchell started a big argument over it, it's not that he made a mistake, it's that he'll argue about these factual errors even when there is nothing to argue about

and when I told him to stop fighting when he got it wrong, he tried to say that it was his opinion and it was what debate was for, when it wasn't, it was correcting some incorrectly stated facts

I started a thread on "province of origin" of the Irish teams yesterday, when I was told Declan Fitzpatrick didn't originate from Ulster by Peat, did I start a fight arguing? No, I just changed it

as for the Gilroy thing, what Big Ginger 8 says is true

TRF nickdnz, if somebody said that Cory Jane was like Jonah Lomu, would you not say that it was a bad comparison?

Ulster will probably play ten man rugby and try to take Leinsters outside backs out of the game

nobody is saying Ulster play All Blacks rugby, they do have a big pack which is a big part of their game, but they are not as boring like Brive either

Last edited:
Point is though, its constant criticism and the way it is said. To be fair you hardly said, apart from the mistakes its a good read - which to be fair they are. I mean its one of the reasons why we don't get ThisIsAmerRugby posting that often with his blogs.

Criticism is all well and good but remember people put time and effort into the blogs, if you feel you can do a better job that Buck then don't hesitate to get into contact with me and we can discuss if you fancy blogging for TRF.

Well this was a decent way to spend my evening reading this....
ULSTER SAYS NO ...... to a few mistakes!

Point is though, its constant criticism and the way it is said. To be fair you hardly said, apart from the mistakes its a good read - which to be fair they are. I mean its one of the reasons why we don't get ThisIsAmerRugby posting that often with his blogs.

Criticism is all well and good but remember people put time and effort into the blogs, if you feel you can do a better job that Buck then don't hesitate to get into contact with me and we can discuss if you fancy blogging for TRF.

neither were my initial posts aggressive and looking for a fight

as Big Ginger 8 says, Buck Mitchell couldn't take any challenge to his post

you have corrected some errors in my posts before, such as once I remember I posted Rhodri Jones' age wrong or something and you corrected it, I didn't try and argue that I was right when you corrected what is a fact, not opinion (like Buck Mitchell keeps saying)

if I were to say Harry Robinson was like George North, would you not correct it? I don't see anything wrong with that, he also slagged off Trimble as well and Big Ginger 8 defended Trimble

if you can't take that and have such a tantrum about it, then Buck Mitchell probably made the right decision to stop posting

as for the blogs, I mentioned stuff I did on this site similar already above

Last edited:
Did I say you were aggressive and looking for a fight? But what I can see is that there is little praise, yes there were mistakes in his blogs but when you are constantly getting criticism and not really even getting a well done, then what is the point.

Like I said, if you or anyone else fancies having a blog then get in contact.

Wish everyone would stop ******* over everything. A blog is just someones elses point of view. You either agree or disagree but you do not attack the blogger because just like you he expresses his point of view into a matter. It is impossible to satisfy everyone. Off course support for ones team one tend to be reluctant to hear anything except the truth about ones team. So lot of criticism means you have hit the nail on the head.

Latest posts