• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

[2013/14 HEC] Pool 1, Round 1

Yeah, Moore looked on top of Duncan Jones in just about every scrum.

I'm not to familiar with Duncan Jones whats his scrummaging like

It used to be pretty good, but it's degraded somewhat with age it seems. Still generally better than Bevington's scrummaging though.

Had a feeling that the Ospreys weren't gonna turn up for this one, passing is dire when they go wide and a lot of their carries are just going laterally...
Seems like they're miffed that the scrums not going well.
Tebaldi is having an awful 2nd half too, pity as he was very good in the first

Huge turnover there from Sean O'Brien. First time the O's were looking dangerous in the second half. Momentum stopping.

Can anyone remember the last time Dan Biggar has had this poor a game against Leinster? Poor stuff.

Leinster defence is excellent. Ospreys not really doing much though.

Massive hit from Gopperth there. Could be the definitive moment of the game.

Hassler seemed to get caught in two minds there and ended up doing nothing and got smashed. Should have just tried to step inside Gopperth coming across.

Edit. O'Brien's work on the ground has come on leaps and bounds.

Further edit. Beck has a tendency to throw away good attacking positions with poor grubber kicks on occasion.

Last edited:
Man, what a blunt performance from the O's. They started the season well, but were poor last week, and been exactly the same this week. Considering the group, they're basically out of Europe after the first game!

O'Brien deservedly given the Motm. As Dull said, he's been magnificent

Tough on the Ospreys now, looks like they wont even get the bonus point. Just unable to get over our defense, which was very good.

Over the moon with the win, going in I thought a BP loss would be the best we could achieve. SOB, Goppert and Healsip really stood up and took over at different times when they were needed which is encouraging. Denying them the LBP may prove crucial come January so pleased with that. Wasn't flashy or beautiful but it was the perfect example of how to play an away game in this pool.

Very very happy with that. It wasn't a sexy performance, it was more in line with how Leinster played in the knockouts in 2008/09. Big D won out. Giev the leadership deficit (no Cullen, O'Driscoll, Jennings) it's great to get the win in such a tough venue for visiting teams. A win against Castres denying the French team a losing bonus point sets the group up nicely.

Very very happy with that. It wasn't a sexy performance, it was more in line with how Leinster played in the knockouts in 2008/09. Big D won out. Giev the leadership deficit (no Cullen, O'Driscoll, Jennings) it's great to get the win in such a tough venue for visiting teams. A win against Castres denying the French team a losing bonus point sets the group up nicely.

Yeah, given the type of game we were going to have to play to get a result out of this one the losses of the three oul fellas had me very worried. Still, the team stood up very well. Jamie H was top class in that regard, and Gopperth was very composed throughout. I'll stick my hand up and admit I got that one wrong. Also, please enough with Cronin. These are the kinds of nights that I worry about him on, but he played well. Can only remember one throw not going our way and he was industrious around the park all night.

The major plus for me, result and points aside, was Moore's 60 minutes. We leaked a penalty or two, but all things considered it was a very accomplished Heineken Cup debut for a young tight head. Probably as good as anything Jamie Hagan had done in his last two year stint at Leinster.

I wonder what changes, if any, will be made for next week's home game against French champions Castres? Was the Ospreys selection an "away" team as Joe Schmidt often put on the field? O'Driscoll will obviously come in for Macken if fit. Perhaps Ian Madigan's greater attacking threat and Eoin Reddan's speed will be introduced. Zane Kirchner could come into the 23. Will Mike Ross be healthy and if not, who do Leinster bring onto the bench to cover Martin Moore?

I disagree with Psychic Duck on Ryan, I thought he had a very good game, especially considering it was his first game back from injury, and only his second game since March. Tipuric is also bloody amazing every time he plays the game. James King was also encouraging in the lineout.

Well, that's all the positive over and done with.

On the backrow theme, why does Joe BEarman feel the need to run sideways all the time? It's begining to really get my goat. We ought to give Morgan Allen a chance in big games. He's a big lump and can smash his way over people, rather than spending two minutes trying to find the smallest defender so he can get tackled by him instead. Noted Leinster's defence is good, but this Ospreys team is only able to score off pick and goes or counter attack. There's a total lack of flair on a normal play, with Beck used almost more as a battering ram than the provider he was a few seasons ago. I'd love to see him begin to gel with Ben John in midfield, who has far more attacking threat than Bish, strong as he is defensively. I couldn't understand why we made the changes we did- The scrum went totally to pot when Adam came off, having been a struggle already, Ben John was one of the few players whose head didn't go down in the period between the scrum and the try, so if we were to score, he'd've been the one I'd back to make the breakthrough, I'd've moved him into midfield and put Hassler on to give us a tad more pace. But hey ho. Leinster's defence is strong, but provided your kick chase is good, you've killed 70% of our backs game. Hit Fussell & Eli early and we're done. It's so frustrating. I'd rather not have to tnhink about this game again, thankyouverymuch.

Latest posts