• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

[2013 Currie Cup] Round 10

Why can we never take advantage of our returning Boks and use them effectively? Didn't catch the match, but sounds like WP just wanted the win and simply played better rugby. Who knows, we beat WP twice last year and lost in the final, maybe it is reversed this year?

Thank goodness this horror ride of the Bulls are over. and they Don't have to worry about a promotion/relegation match coming up...

Now Frans Ludeke can start with the preparation for next year's Super Rugby competition, and look at his squad and where it can improve, especially with November coming up when all the teams look to sign players.

If this Currie Cup season was anything to go by, I'm both excited and nervous about next year.

This is what I thought of my Bulls team:
1. Handre Pollard - I have been talking him up so much in the past, and I really hoped that he would show his worth. But he just didn't get enough front foot ball or chances to make a big impression. One thing is for sure, he is much better at defending than Morne Steyn.
2. The Kings group - Only one player of the 4 we got from them made an impact, and it was the one everyone expected. Jacques "Vleis" Engelbrecht. But even so, he was used more as an impact player annd had about 20 minutes in 5 games to use his battering ram antics to help the Bulls.
3. Jono Ross - This ********, kept Vleis out of the starting squad. Because all of a sudden, there had be done away with tradition, and pick an english speaking Bulls-captain for the first time ever in Bulls history for the Currie Cup. He did some things well, and is a good ball carrier. But he was not impressive at all, and was a kak leader.
4. Jacques Du Plessis - He had such a great U/20 WC and started off quite well for the Bulls, but the longer the season went, the more he fell off the wagon. I'm also not convinced that he is a flanker. his height alone should be enough to convert to lock.
5. Marcel van der Merwe - Stormer2010 and Zeke had mentioned this behemoth before on this forum, and how good he was for the cheetahs. but I didn't watch him play, and was a bit sceptical. And did he prove to me what a monster he is. With the 22-man squads still being used in the Currie Cup. He kept out springboks Werner Kruger and Dean Greyling of the team. He can pack at either side of the scrum with ease, and he's mobile. The only guy that really impressed me a lot.
6. Hooker - I'm very very worried. Bongi Mbonambi and Bandise Maku are average, at best. neither of them can throw in well in a lineout, both of them play hard rugby and are strong carriers, but there's no oomph! they are bland. This is the area that we need to get someone better!

Stormer and Gena... Congrats! WP unbeaten and well-deserved to be top of the log.

Next week will be Western Province - Transvaal and Natal - Free State

I just love the old names much more than the animal names

Agreed, this is provincial rugby not a zoo. Thanks very proud of the guys but TBF we probably had the best continuity so not hard to understand why we've gone unbeaten, see you in the final (I hope for both our sakes)! Gonna be tough.

Same to you Sharks fellas, probably see you in the final as well
Bulls sadly fell off badly this season and the last game just emphasized it

I think the thing with the Bulls IMO is they have an oversupply of ball carriers and size in the forwards but very little grafters IMO. I almost want too say they are too big and very easy to get around on defense out wide and easy to beat off the breakdowns because they get there too slowly half the time. Never thought I'd say it but they missed a player like Deon Stegman and Chiliboy's loss is being felt as well.

Time for a Currie Cup 2013 XV? It would be unfair to the Griquas and Bulls if we did it after or during the play-offs.

I'll have a think about mine. I almost want to include Duane Vermeulen on the back of yesterday's game alone LOL. The man is on fire!!

Latest posts