• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

[2013 EOYT] England

If anyone thinks that they're gonna get some extreme physicality out of Morgan, on the evidence of the first two games - not very likely.

If, on the other hand, we went for Vunipola...

It will be interesting to see how long he stays on the bench for... it can't be doing him an favours regarding international selection.

I'm not too fussed about the Morgan situation. Quite a few games for him to get himself back into form.

say I just finished watching ARG ENG 2009: whatever happened to Matt Banahan for England ?

I see he's only been selected for the Rose XV only 16 times. I also see he's scored a ton of tries for Bath...

Man, why on Earth has he been so discrete all this time for England ? I never see fans talking about him...he's 2m01, 115kg for a winger, and has better mobility than you'd think considering those two figures. He's a sure bet when he receives the pass wide a few meters from the line, it's hard to push him into touch..

I dunno, what am I missing here ?

He's a sure bet when he receives the pass wide a few meters from the line, it's hard to push him into touch..

He's a good winger, whose coaches have tried to turn him into a centre.
As much as I like him, I don't see him getting any more England caps.

Last edited by a moderator:
He's a good winger, whose coaches have tried to turn him into a centre.
As much as I like him, I don't see him getting any more England caps.

well that's more impressive for little Shane than it is shameful for Banahan really. Thanks for that btw, it's very surprising to watch !!
The try he scores in that 2009 ARG ENG match, some Argentinian back (bigger than Williams) throws himself onto Banahan who's a step away from touch and he seriously barely budges and jogs in the try.
He seems to have an attitude problem as well from what I've seen...

Oh well, too bad for England. Haven't seen many matches with him in an England uniform but he sure seems like he can seriously fill that wing spot...

EDIT:
found this this:

and it was uploaded by a certain "Olyy"....hhhmmmm...

Just seen that Banahan is starting at 13. It's like Gary Gold is trying to kill of the potential in their back line...

Banahan definitely doesn't have an attitude problem, he's a nice guy and hard worker by all accounts.

Banahan definitely doesn't have an attitude problem, he's a nice guy and hard worker by all accounts.

well I've seen high tackles, pretty brutal ones, a fight, that sorta thing...I thought maybe England didn't want that there, considering his strengths I thought there might be extra-curricular reasons for his non-selections.
He does look like a cool guy though, it's true:

EDIT:
man I want more from this guy ! YT has nothing with him...his tackles and fends/body slams with ball in hand are BROO-TAL. Wish someone would give me more highlights or good matches from him.
Gotta love the mere concept of a 115kg winger with mobility and an aggressive mindset.

well I've seen high tackles, pretty brutal ones, a fight, that sorta thing...I thought maybe England didn't want that there, considering his strengths I thought there might be extra-curricular reasons for his non-selections.
He does look like a cool guy though, it's true:

EDIT:
man I want more from this guy ! YT has nothing with him...his tackles and fends/body slams with ball in hand are BROO-TAL. Wish someone would give me more highlights or good matches from him.
Gotta love the mere concept of a 115kg winger with mobility and an aggressive mindset.

Who'd have thought Gatland was a member on here!

The youtube clips are misleading. I always found him a bit of a pussy for a winger his size.

Slightly depressed at how quickly some fans and pundits have put Strettle forward as being in contention for an England place...

Slightly depressed at how quickly some fans and pundits have put Strettle forward as being in contention for an England place...

Depressing, but a good way to figure out who's thick and who's not. Anyone who wants Strettle in England contention is a buffoon.

Depressing, but a good way to figure out who's thick and who's not. Anyone who wants Strettle in England contention is a buffoon.
So if Lancaster called him up, would he be a buffoon? :p

Considering that both Ashton and Strettle have been heralded as 'returning to form' over the last three Premiership rounds which one would you rather have in an England squad? This is presuming you were forced to pick one.

Watching the Sarries match today Ashton certainly looked much better than he has for at least a season. I'm slightly worried Yarde might lose out ti him come the AIs.

The youtube clips are misleading. I always found him a bit of a pussy for a winger his size.

yeah ? I dunno...you seem to know him, I just discovered him this afternoon. Well I knew him from before, but never noticed him.
I dunno, he does have a bunch of tries for Bath I see, and some of those highlights and that match I saw, he looked pretty brutal. But it's true he's only scored his 4 tries against "bad" teams for England (bad form Argentina and one on Samoa).

but, a "pussy" (for a guy hi size) ?..

So you English guys don't like him ??...not a good addition to the Rose XV ?

EDIT:
(15min later..): hey I found this. Luckily enough it's in English:
at 3:50, pretty impressive stuff.
6:11 as well, but the defense is pretty crappy there...
7:29: wow.

I knowwww it's not top competition :p but the guy's got some weight and some moves on him.

say I just finished watching ARG ENG 2009: whatever happened to Matt Banahan for England ?

I see he's only been selected for the Rose XV only 16 times. I also see he's scored a ton of tries for Bath...

Man, why on Earth has he been so discrete all this time for England ? I never see fans talking about him...he's 2m01, 115kg for a winger, and has better mobility than you'd think considering those two figures. He's a sure bet when he receives the pass wide a few meters from the line, it's hard to push him into touch..

I dunno, what am I missing here ?

No surprise who is the only one on the forum spectacularly thick enough to think Banahan should be in international reckoning.

Latest posts