• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

[2013 EOYT] England

He'd do no worse than Ashton.
At least players wouldn't specifically target his channel knowing they're not going to meet any resistance.

That's it. You all asked for it. Don't say I didn't warn you...

...MATT BANAHAN FOR WINGER!!!

Burn him.

:lol:
Oh God, is he disliked that much ?!

He'd do no worse than Ashton.
At least players wouldn't specifically target his channel knowing they're not going to meet any resistance.

could someone give me the main reasons why Ashton keeps getting selected ? I understand he's got a strong build and good pace on attack, some ok foot work...but England fans have been deploring, absolutely deploring his defensive lack of ability for a while now.
Is he sort of like Saint-André's Michalak ? England coaches' stubborn, stubborn choice ?
I'd like to know once and for all, thank you.

Before he was selected because he had been good in the past. Now it's because all the other EPS wingers are injured and the coaching staff seem incapable of calling up any of the perfectly good replacements in the Saxons squad.

:lol:
could someone give me the main reasons why Ashton keeps getting selected ? I understand he's got a strong build and good pace on attack, some ok foot work...but England fans have been deploring, absolutely deploring his defensive lack of ability for a while now.

Wouldn't say any of that was really true. If he's got a strong build, he doesn't use his strength as I've never seen him come out of any contact on top, his pace is ok but not for a winger and his footwork... He gets sidestepped more often than he does it to anyone else. Infact I literally can't remember ever seeing him step past someone whilst I saw I saw him being sidestepped in the last 2 games.

Before he was selected because he had been good in the past. Now it's because all the other EPS wingers are injured and the coaching staff seem incapable of calling up any of the perfectly good replacements in the Saxons squad.

Right, thanks.

Wouldn't say any of that was really true. If he's got a strong build, he doesn't use his strength as I've never seen him come out of any contact on top, his pace is ok but not for a winger and his footwork... He gets sidestepped more often than he does it to anyone else. Infact I literally can't remember ever seeing him step past someone whilst I saw I saw him being sidestepped in the last 2 games.

:lol: oh, the guy is just HATED isn't he ?! Well I've never seen him sidestep a defender successfully as in crossing him up and getting past him, but I've seen him dance a little and confuse defenders at least a bit.
And though I see your point about upper body strength, he's not a no.8 and wingers typically won't crush past the defensive line...but it's also true he's not a contact lover....and yeah he's got good pace. He won't catch Habana, but he's got fine pace for a winger.
Anyways, this is all useless speculating, because England need a better winger, no doubt.

Ashton, when first breaking on to the scene, was very good. Always running impeccable support lines, and finishing very very well. His defence wasn't great, but it didn't matter because he made up for it elsewhere.
He's now not doing that, and his defence is worse, if anything.

Basically:
a) He's living off past achievements
b) He's doing OK in the premiership, so the coaches can justify his spot to themselves through that
c) Saracens connection - they're the new Wasps/Tigers/Bath (delete as neccesary depending which England era you're looking at).

Ashton, when first breaking on to the scene, was very good. Always running impeccable support lines, and finishing very very well. His defence wasn't great, but it didn't matter because he made up for it elsewhere.
He's now not doing that, and his defence is worse, if anything.

Basically:
a) He's living off past achievements
b) He's doing OK in the premiership, so the coaches can justify his spot to themselves through that
c) Saracens connection - they're the new Wasps/Tigers/Bath (delete as neccesary depending which England era you're looking at).

well I thought the Saracens thing would help for sure for his selection...and it's true he finished plays off well, but he's always been a very one-dimensional winger. He's the only guy ever to score 4 tries in a 6N match, I remember that stat...

OK, so everybody agrees now...Matt Banahan to return in white, I'm glad you're all coming to your senses...but boy did it take a while.

I do agree with Prestwick that having a fourth winger in the squad would be ideal. Strettle wouldn't be my choice, but anything's better than three-full backs. I'm ok with Foden on the wing - I think - but it shouldn't be that common a thing.

That's why I like the idea of Watson replacing Goode.
Because he looks like he could be up to muster in both positions.

Wales had no fear throwing the likes of North and Cuthbert in at the deep end, now they're mainstays in their squad and performing very well internationally (as well as for the Lions).
Meanwhile we've got untouchable Ashton and have Goode worming his way back in.

That's it. You all asked for it. Don't say I didn't warn you...

...MATT BANAHAN FOR WINGER!!!

I was going to suggest this earlier in the thread, but thought I might get lynched. :D I was also going to suggest brining Alex Goode back to really strike fear into NZ.

On a serious note, I think Foden is much stronger at full-back than wing. I wouldn't be experimenting with things like that in the NZ game either. Either break in a new, explosive and natural winger or stick to a known combination.

We don't have a known combination though =/
Unless we put Brown back on the wing, and Goode at 15 - that's our most played back-three :(

We don't have a known combination though =/
Unless we put Brown back on the wing, and Goode at 15 - that's our most played back-three :(
WM7fiNx.gif

I need help from the rugby hive mind! some people at work and myself are placing harmless £1 bets on the England vs All Blacks game, which team will score the first try and how many minutes in? What are your thoughts?

I need help from the rugby hive mind!  some people at work and myself are placing harmless £1 bets on the England vs All Blacks game, which team will score the first try and how many minutes in? What are your thoughts?

NZ, 5 minutes for my money; I just think they are a level up ATM and will want to hurt England here simply to try and prove a point. It'll probably be tight enough but I expect NZ to come with a blitz and take England off guard with the tempo to start off with.

Wales had no fear throwing the likes of North and Cuthbert in at the deep end, now they're mainstays in their squad and performing very well internationally (as well as for the Lions).
Meanwhile we've got untouchable Ashton and have Goode worming his way back in.

I think England's been the victim of her own success here. We've had a decent number of wins already and our high expectations has led to a bit too much conservatism. That said, Ashton looked a hairsbreadth away from being dropped before Yarde and Wade went out injured.

I need help from the rugby hive mind!  some people at work and myself are placing harmless £1 bets on the England vs All Blacks game, which team will score the first try and how many minutes in? What are your thoughts?

solid contribution to the England EOYT thread ! ;)
Perhaps you should have put it here:
http://www.therugbyforum.com/threads/32117-EOYT-England-vs-New-Zealand-16-11-13/page4

....that being said...I will not partake in such a vulgar and mainstream exercise of the masses...

(NZ !!!!! At the 8th minute !!!)

Latest posts