• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

2014 6 Nations: England vs Wales (Round 4)

I think we'd probably be taking our own record there! The Scotland team of the past couple of years is free-scoring compared to the 5 or so years before!

I can see Scotland scoring one on France in 10 days. Some good attacking movements in stretches, some able backs, all they need is that one moment when they string 3 or 4 good sequences together and they're good for a score, especially off a counter. Can definitely see it.

I can see Scotland scoring one on France in 10 days. Some good attacking movements in stretches, some able backs, all they need is that one moment when they string 3 or 4 good sequences together and they're good for a score, especially off a counter. Can definitely see it.

It's a shame we've got such problems at 10. I'm glad Weir's had a chance, and I probably would stick with him over Jackson (let's not forget that he was just as bad), but neither are any great shakes. On the other hand, Weir does look like a potato, so there's entertainment there! The rest of our backline is fairly competent, especially with Visser and Maitland back.

Edit: Sorry, didn't realise this was the England-Wales thread.

Last edited:
It's a shame we've got such problems at 10. I'm glad Weir's had a chance, and I probably would stick with him over Jackson (let's not forget that he was just as bad), but neither are any great shakes. On the other hand, Weir does look like a potato, so there's entertainment there! The rest of our backline is fairly competent, especially with Visser and Maitland back.

Biggest issue is you could have north and savea on your wings and brown at full back it makes no odds when they don't get the ball

Haha well I'm looking forward to WHEN we beat you then ;) I'll pop on to have a chat with you afterwards :p

Ah well.. depending on the score... I migth be going to work in Siberia for a period, or two... but yes, well if I'm around you're welcome to say hello :lol:

I find it funny how often people go on about Hook then ever so often he plays for Wales and is either poor or average, people then say why the hell was Hook selected then a year down the line it's back to why isn't hook being selected?

Can't remember ever banging on about Hook, or mentioning any of that...all I said was why can't he buy a game for Wales, meaning - He hasn't had a fair crack under Gatland lately. Agreed that he wasn't very consistent when he got his chances before. He was either good, poor or average like you mentioned. And that's why Gatland preferred Priestland when Steven Jones retired. But since moving to France, I think he has improved a lot but the lad just can't seem to get any game time even when everyone else is injured. Against Ireland when Williams got injured, I would have put Hook on and moved Roberts to 13 (where he has played on many occasions) and kept North on the wing. Biggar is my NO. 1 and if he was injured, I would give Hook a chance. Gatland seems to have this love affair with Priestland. It's impossible for him to get dropped even if he had a shocker. Hook isn't the future, shouldn't be in the starting 15 and he never lived up to his full potential but I just feel he still has a lot to give when needed but just doesn't seem to get his chance. Hence I said why can't Hook buy a game for Wales?

To be fair Johnson is a very good player.
It's disappointing in the respect that we're not to get a look at Kvesic, but TJ's been on great form at Chiefs and will do a job from the bench.

it's hard to argue with the Johnson selection, he's in and around the squad, can play all three positions and is tested at test level and performed. Kvesic will get a decent run at some point, but i do understand why Lancasters going for what i consider a more powerful player against the welsh.

Last edited:
True that he's got experience and in good form, I actually really like him as a player - but from the point of view that England have gone from having Ben Morgan on the bench to Tom Johnson, we're as far from replacing like for like as possible here. Imagine a situation in which Ben Morgan is injured early, and we have switch to:
6. Johnson
7. Robshaw
8. Wood.

Which would entirely repeat the mistakes of last year against Wales.

I agree, but i dont' see that problem changing with Kvesic on the bench, and what are our other options for an out and out barreling 8 who gets us over the gain line. dickinson? which kind of brings the discussion full circle :)

Kvesic is quite a physical specimen from what I've seen so whilst we clearly don't have another 8 immediately read to step in with the same impact as Billy/Ben, Kvesic would add some of what has made our defence so agressive and hard to breach

On the other hand, Tom Johnson has some wheels and is a bit like Tom Youngs in that his speed and centre of gravity will have him make good metres. But in defence he's hardly going to be smashing people. He's quite good at the breakdown though I guess.

To be fair Johnson is a very good player.
It's disappointing in the respect that we're not to get a look at Kvesic, but TJ's been on great form at Chiefs and will do a job from the bench.

I'd be pretty steaming at that. Johnson will never be much on the international scene. Kvesic might be. I am not seeing what Johnson brings that makes him a superior choice when that is taken into account.

I'd be pretty steaming at that. Johnson will never be much on the international scene. Kvesic might be. I am not seeing what Johnson brings that makes him a superior choice when that is taken into account.

That's my take on it too.

I'm more concerned right now with who is right for this as a one-off game, rather than potential. I think this is the most important game we'll play this year

I'm more concerned right now with who is right for this as a one-off game, rather than potential. I think this is the most important game we'll play this year

If Johnson was markedly, or even a little, better, then sure. Win the game.

But I don't see what he's got that makes him this over Kvesic. If two players are even, then pick the one that pays back most in future. Is Johnson anything more than even? I'm not seeing it.

Oh I agree - Kvesic in my opinion is the better player and also more suited to the game we'll be playing - just that I would pick him for those reasons and not for matters of potential.

That aside; maybe I'm mad, but I think that Johnson could have almost made it as a 7. He has lots of the attributes. Bit of speed, can carry a bit, good link man, likes to get his hands on the ball at the breakdown. Maybe he just lacks a bit more leg strength to help him stay over the ball. His inclusion in a side would have then made more sense because he could play alongside a big beefy blindside.

In other news: Maybe this was just an anomalous event but when Henry Thomas came on against Ireland he looked steadier than Wilson. One of those really good scrums was actually with Cian Healy still on. I'm aware that he also had Attwood to back him up but still. Encouraging signs?

Last edited:
No.

He survived the first scrum and was demolished on the second one - but the ball was already out so no-one seemed to notice.

On the 3rd scrum he went forward as far as he went back on the 2nd - demolished is a massive exaggeration in the first place. He also got a good nudge on for the 1st one which you understate as 'survived'. He was also on with Mako and then Tom Youngs who are weaker scrummagers and to be fair, Wilson didnt' go forward an inch all match!

We reinforced the scrum heavily behind Thomas when he went on, still had issues and were lucky not to be pinged more heavily than we were. I'd hold off on being encouraged at this moment in time.

Latest posts