• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

2014 6 Nations: Wales vs Scotland (Round 5)

Haha I know ! I'm only joking with you . Bit of banter , when did I avoid questions though ?

Were you? OK - The tiny point about being possibly dissapointed that England didn't put more points on Wales last Sunday? I mean, they won, they even won convincingly. But that Danny Care try was opportunist - shame on Wales turning their back on him - but even so........

Were you? OK - The tiny point about being possibly dissapointed that England didn't put more points on Wales last Sunday? I mean, they won, they even won convincingly. But that Danny Care try was opportunist - shame on Wales turning their back on him - but even so........

I didn't say that . It was someone else I've not even seen the post tbh :/

I haven't been able to stop smiling long enough to be interested in posting on here till the last couple of hours ;)

Well I don't think I did anyway but I was pretty drunk on Sunday lol

Last edited:
.............. but I was pretty drunk on Sunday

I am too looking forward to seeing the time when my posts, posted whilst under the influence of a fine Bordeaux, disappear in the morning when I sober up.............!!

Alcohol and forums, or any means of digital communication, are a terrible terrible mix my friend!

Alcohol and forums, or any means of digital communication, are a terrible terrible mix my friend!

I so agree but normally I have passed out by now..............................!!

oh boy...talk of booze here already. Isn't this a highly anticipated match...

Hi all,

I'm Ilona and I work for True North Productions, an award-winning independent TV production company based in Leeds.

This weekend, we're filming in Cardiff for part of a new documentary series and are hoping to follow a group of rugby supporters heading to the city to watch the game and enjoy a night out afterwards. The film crew is small and we're used to working with groups of people, ensuring that everyone has fun and enjoys the filming experience.

I'm happy to answer any further questions and I look forward to hearing from anyone who might be interested in taking part. Feel free to email me at [email protected]

Thanks,

Ilona

Surprised nobody has commented here!

Wales have changed 6:

Liam Williams (Scarlets), Alex Cuthbert (Cardiff Blues), Jonathan Davies (Scarlets), Jamie Roberts (Racing Metro), George North (Northampton Saints), Dan Biggar (Ospreys), Mike Phillips (Racing Metro), Gethin Jenkins (Cardiff Blues), Ken Owens (Scarlets), Rhodri Jones (Scarlets), Luke Charteris (Perpignan), Alun Wyn Jones (Ospreys), Dan Lydiate (Racing Metro), Sam Warburton (captain - Cardiff Blues), Taulupe Faletau (Newport Gwent Dragons).

Replacements: Richard Hibbard (Ospreys), Paul James (Bath Rugby), Adam Jones (Ospreys), Jake Ball (Scarlets), Justin Tipuric (Ospreys), Rhodri Williams (Scarlets), Rhys Priestland (Scarlets), James Hook (Perpignan).

Some good things, but I don't get why you'd give Rhodri Jones and Ken Owens a go whilst not giving Paul James a go? Why not change the whole front row and seeing as Wales will perhaps be weaker scrummaging-wise at Tight-head and Hooker, why not support that with Paul James who has looked excellent so far?

I also don't understand why you wouldn't give Tipuric a run. The last time Wales played properly well was with Warburton and Tipuric together - yet we haven't seen that replicated since.
What does Liam Williams offer which James Hook can't?
Lastly, did Jake Ball deserve to go back to the bench?

the scotland team has been announced:

Scotland: S Hogg (Glasgow Warriors); D Fife (Edinburgh), A Dunbar (Glasgow Warriors), M Scott (Edinburgh), M Evans (Castres); D Weir (Glasgow Warriors); G Laidlaw (Edinburgh); R Grant (Glasgow Warriors), S Lawson (Newcastle), G Cross (Edinburgh), R Gray (Castres), J Hamilton (Montpellier), R Wilson (Glasgow Warriors), K Brown (Saracens, capt), D Denton (Edinburgh).
Replacements: R Ford (Edinburgh), A Dickinson (Edinburgh), E Murray (Worcester), T Swinson (Warriors), A Strokosch (Perpignan), C Cusiter (Glasgow Warriors), D Taylor (Saracens), J Cuthbert (Edinburgh).

it will be a big test for Dougie Fife hope he plays well not happy that weir is still our number 10 after losing us the game against france and i dont mind seeing laidlaw still at 9 and also good to see Jack Cuthbert in after his great games for edinburgh and also good to see Al Strokosch back

Surprised nobody has commented here!

I also don't understand why you wouldn't give Tipuric a run. The last time Wales played properly well was with Warburton and Tipuric together - yet we haven't seen that replicated since.
What does Liam Williams offer which James Hook can't?
Lastly, did Jake Ball deserve to go back to the bench?

I'm not surprised. Scotland aren't the most anticipated of teams to come to Wales, even when there is something on the game (and I try my best not to be disrespectful to the Scots in any way). In saying that, I think Wales will be a bit flat on the weekend because of that.

Ball probably should have started in my opinion, I thought he did enough to merit it. It's clear to me though that the mistake at the line out against England has cost Hibbard his place. I think you'll find Charteris is back in the sure that area up against a big Scottish pack.

Brings me on to tips. I think because of the size of the Scottish pack, Gatland has stuck with the power play. Phillips coming back in shows that as well. Tips will come on I think, but only when the Scots are tiring.

Gethin is an absolute machine in defence. He is like an extra flanker. Although he was somewhat unlucky/had a bad day on the weekend at scrum time his loose play is too valuable to Edward's defence. He has to stay in. Paul James is an excellent scrummager, but just isn't the same rounded player at the moment.

well i dont see scotland winning this, but i hope we atleast play a good game and all i ask is duncan weir please dont do a miss pass which costs us a try. but oh why oh why wouldn't chris cusiter start ? i dont dislike laidlaw he is a good scrum-half but cusiter is the better option and can get the ball out quicker.

i say we need to get laidlaw back at 10 hopefully when laidlaw goes to gloucester he'll be a 10 and then when he gets into scotland he'll be a 10. jackson hasn't got a single minute in this years 6 nations which i cant believe.

i dont hate duncan weir but his decision making is just poor, but he is only 22 so i beg you duncan please improve. like i do believe that duncan weir can be a quality fly-half but he really needs to make right decisions at the right time or else were just going to lose

and also last game for scott johnston as interim coach. am i happy with him... no. he doesn't pick the best quad for the games which are crucial for example england is our biggest rivalry and johnston is like lets drop our captain and put in a uncapped player on but btw thanks for all the hard work you put into the team.

Scotland, I, suppose, have a large pack but at the same time, I can't remember them ever bullying another international pack, so to speak. I see the point but at the same time Scotland seem to make room for a guy of fusaros size.

Shame that we won't get to see Ashley Beck or Eli walker either.

The gethin Jenkins selection I can see, if only as a show of confidence in him in the face of all the crap he's going to get after that game.

Scotland, I, suppose, have a large pack but at the same time, I can't remember them ever bullying another international pack, so to speak. I see the point but at the same time Scotland seem to make room for a guy of fusaros size.

Shame that we won't get to see Ashley Beck or Eli walker either.

The gethin Jenkins selection I can see, if only as a show of confidence in him in the face of all the crap he's going to get after that game.

Gutted that they haven't figured this year for Wales, both due to inuries. Eli came back a few weeks ago, but aggravated the same injury after something like 20 mins. If he was fit I think I'd have liked to see him take Cuthberts 14 shirt as I feel he adds so much more. Cuthbert has been a bit AWOL in most Wales games this season, took him 65 odd minutes to go looking for the ball vs England, and bar the lucky try vs Italy, I'm struggling to think of anything he really did in any Wales game going back to the the last AI vs Aus.

I still feel that if Beck can make the step up, he can add a creative edge in the midfield while still having the size and strength to be a ball carrier from 12. He hasn't shown it on the international stage yet, but with a bit of time, who knows?

Rhodri Jones ahead of Adam? :huh:

I take it Gatland is done with this tournament and is "developing players" now.

The wrong ones mind.

Wouldn't have dropped Ball, Hibbard or Jones. Would have brought in Paul James, Tipuric and Hook.

Phillips is in because of Webb's injury I take it. Webb was pretty terrible though. What a difference Dwayne Peel and Stephen Jones in their heights would make to this team. Unlike Wales to be struggling for half-backs. Still, happy about a Biggar recall.

Still also think Lee Byrne would improve this team.

i thought jenkins would be dropped for this game after his scrummaging against england as i thought paul james did quite well when he came on

Paul James is a superb scrummager and some one I highly rate, Jenkins for the past year has been put under serious pressure in the scrums. Personally think that James should have gone on the Lions tour ahead of Grant. Absolutely thrilled that Biggar has only just come back after the England game :) Tipuric and Walker might have been good for this game aswell, is walker fit or still injured ?

Paul James should feel a bit hard done by. Jenkins isn't playing all that well (other than against France), and rightly or wrongly is getting on the wrong side of ref's in the scrum. I would have thought that James coming in would have been a straight forward decision.

Happy with Ken Owens starting, he's been having a big impact from the bench. Most importantly, his throwing is far superior than Hibbard's, and this is the most important role of a hooker. Hibbard brings great physicality and strong scrummaging, but that doesn't make-up for a malfunctioning lineout. If Ken Owens can stabilise our lineout, then he should be our first-choice hooker going forward, with Hibbard offering impact from the bench.

I'd have retained Adam Jones myself, but this should be a good test for Rhodri Jones. Rhodri offers a huge amount more in open play, far more mobile, and a much better carrier. He'll be judged on his scrummaging though, and with question marks surrounding the scrummaging of Jenkins and Owens alongside him, this'll be a big test for this front-row. Still would have liked to see Samson Lee tested in this game.

I'm happy to see Charteris back. He's important to our lineout, and a believe he really shores up our scrum. A little harsh on Ball who's been impressive this campaign. I would have been tempted to drop Alun-Wyn to the bench, but fully understand why Gatland would want a player of his quality starting. Hopefully he shows a little more on Saturday.

I still can't understand why Tipuric isn't getting a start. Lydiate has been much better against France and England, but this should have been seen as a good opportunity to test the Warburton-Tipuric combination again. Getting a little fed-up with Gatland's handling of Tipuric!

Half-back changes make sense. With Webb injured, Phillips coming back was always going to happen. Hopefully his dropping will have had the desired effect. Biggar simply had to come in after Priestland's dire performances. Hopefully we've seen the last time Pristland is picked ahead of Biggar without earning the right to do so first.

Liam Williams was always going to replace the injured Halfpenny. I still think Byrne has been discarded too soon, Liam Williams doesn't fill me with confidence, although he's more comfortable at fullback than on the wing. He's comfortable counter-attacking, so I wonder if that will change our tactics when fielding kicks in our own half. If he's forced to play the kicking game, he could struggle.

Finally, it's a pity that Gats hasn't been a little more adventurous with the backline cover on the bench. Is there a need to have Priestland and Hook? I'd have preferred to just have Hook, and someone new in the 23 shirt. Maybe Jordan Williams or Danno Dirksen, someone a little different.

Latest posts