• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

[2014 EOYT] Ireland vs South Africa

France and Italy in the group and then we're matched with New Zealand's group. I think it's our best chance to do it but I'm not going to be confident as it is Ireland in a World Cup, a tournament in which we've constantly choked in.

Believe in Schmidt.

We have the best the squad we've ever had and a coaching staff that can get the best out of them. As long as we have Murray and Sexton available I'm confident enough of a semi final.

France and Ireland, hey. Certainly there is no easy routes to the final with the top 7 in with a shout despite one of them not going to make the quarters (Eng/Aus/Wales).

Lynam, I know your having some fun and so was I but the difference really is quite amazing. You think it's really 100% down to Schmidt? I mean, it's not as if Racing has a poor pack and with Machenaud (and Philips as a back up and having partnered with Sexton for the B&I Lions last year) at 9.. I mean, it's not as if he lacked quality ball at Racing (not saying he's been poor mind you but not this assured in the least either).

France and Ireland, hey. Certainly there is no easy routes to the final with the top 7 in with a shout despite one of them not going to make the quarters (Eng/Aus/Wales).

Lynam, I know your having some fun and so was I but the difference really is quite amazing. You think it's really 100% down to Schmidt? I mean, it's not as if Racing has a poor pack and with Machenaud (and Philips as a back up and having partnered with Sexton for the B&I Lions last year) at 9.. I mean, it's not as if he lacked quality ball at Racing.

From what I've seen I don't think the ball is consistently good for him in general the Racing pack seems to be lacking proper go forward. Ducalcon in particular ****** me off he shouldn't carry at all.

I think that him and Murray have developed a very good combination, but Johnny has always played best under Schmidt I think they just seem to understand each other. He seems to get what Schmidt is trying to execute better than any other coach hes played under. The fact that they've won so much together probably gives him a degree of confidence in the decisions he makes.

Having said that I don't watch Racing much so I'm not really sure what it can be put down to exactly.

Lynam, I know your having some fun and so was I but the difference really is quite amazing. You think it's really 100% down to Schmidt? I mean, it's not as if Racing has a poor pack and with Machenaud (and Philips as a back up and having partnered with Sexton for the B&I Lions last year) at 9.. I mean, it's not as if he lacked quality ball at Racing (not saying he's been poor mind you but not this assured in the least either).

Wales in 2011 had just about as good a run to the final they could have wished for in Ireland then France. This time Ireland have a very gentle group with just a shït PSA coached France to rival for top spot, then if they win that they possibly avoid the big 3 in a run to the final. I wouldn't say it was a gimme, but any draw that avoids the big 3 is a great one, Ireland or England should back themselves if they play their best to beat both Wales or France neither of whom are really contenders.

that can't be classed as a warning as he had to explicitly warn the team that the next to infringe is going to the bin. When he talked to both captains after the scuffle, he just said that the captains must go and talk to their players. No warning whatsoever.

But there's no need to hammer on about this. it happened, the Yellow didn't have such a big influence on the end result, and the better team won. let's leave it at that.
Won't try defend Poite as I not saying your not right. Guess I'm just more used to him because I've seen him alot more but I agree with you I was just saying it was for the consistent fouls and when I said he mentioned it to JDV I admit I didn't hear him say "warn your team etc".

@BG8 you say key is keeping Murray and Sexton fit and I agree 100% (also include others like POC) but that's been our problem alot too is we sometimes get awful luck. But if we keep everyone fit andprepare right. (It's awkward time as it's right off of preseason). Then I see no reason why we can't aim for the stars and have a right crack at it. Especially as we have Italy (we should expect to win if we are wanting to go far) and France (argubally in big trouble due to foreign imports in domestic game) but more importantly no SH team. And as Duck just mentioned with a bit of luck and some momentum there's no reason to have a real go.

Last edited:
The yellow was rubbish. He barely laid a hand on him. Penalty... at most.

The game is becoming far too close to soccer if decisions like that are actually being backed or even excused.

Terrible call.

France and Italy in the group and then we're matched with New Zealand's group. I think it's our best chance to do it but I'm not going to be confident as it is Ireland in a World Cup, a tournament in which we've constantly choked in.

I'm more confident for 2015 than 2011 to be honest despite us probably having a better starting team then, we have much better depth now. France are getting to the point were 'pulling it out of the bag' now and again just isn't going to work, they've declined too much with no sign of improvement despite the talent. Beat them at home in next years 6N and we haven't lost to France in 4 years; we'll definitely have the edge come the pool game.

That'll almost certainly put us in a quarter with Argentina, I know we have a bit of history but we're well above them now. You of all (being from Leinster) people should be confident Schmidt will get the team into the right mindset with the right gameplan.

Probably getting too far ahead now but I think England will top their group which would probably set an Eng vs Ire semi..

Edit: just seen the France-Ireland game is the very last game of the pool, basically a knock out game to avoid NZ..

Last edited:
The yellow was rubbish. He barely laid a hand on him. Penalty... at most.

The game is becoming far too close to soccer if decisions like that are actually being backed or even excused.

Terrible call.

But the yellow wasn't for the offense but for consistent fouling. Don't think many argued it being a pen as it's very blatant having seen it again.

Kaplan up to it again, having his usual whinge about the referee now that he is retired;

http://www.sport24.co.za/Rugby/Springboks/Kaplan-Poite-made-poor-calls-20141111

But I like the first comment from the Sport24 user shutting it up;

imagecache.axd

Plastiek Spies - November 11, 2014 at 08:00
Report commentComments Policy
Mabe we should just congratulate Ireland, they outplayed the Boks.

14231 Reply to Plastiek Spies | 6 comments(hide)

Don't think many argued it being a pen as it's very blatant having seen it again.

'cos there was "CONTACT".

Listen to yourself ffs. When discussions start about "CONTACT", your echoing soccer conversations around the world.

"Sir he's touching my shoe sir that's a penalty sir send him off sir please sirrrrrrrr"

'cos there was "CONTACT".

Listen to yourself ffs. When discussions start about "CONTACT", your echoing soccer conversations around the world.

I didn't mention "contact" once more he tackled before man had ball. I think most SA fans agreed it was a pen and were more annoyed the yellow was given without any clear warning but no SA fan has really said it decided game as we were on top anyway.

I'm surprised he never got an analysis gig with any team (Munster included). His analysis and eye for the smallest details is superb as he shows time after time with excellent analysis.

Yeah, he is excellent. Of course maybe he prefers the journalism but Ii wouldn't be surprised to see him move into a job with a club. It is a very demanding job, I know Vinny Hammond and when in camp he says they survive on maybe 4 hours sleep.

Latest posts