• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

2014 Four Nations thread

Walker - another guy not up to rep standard. Where's Uate?

Well, I might be retarded, that looked like an obvious England try there in the 79th.

Definitely not a try and glad the referees got it right. There was no downward pressure on the ball so no try. I must say that the standard of refeering in League is much higher than Union. Perhaps it is because the game is less complex but you rarely see games decided on controversial calls.

Of course there was downward pressure, unless he actively moved his arms upwards! Which the TMO couldn't assume because that would be incredibly awkward (both for team and positioning of the arms).

There was downward pressure for a split second but not when the ball was in contact with the ground. Was the downward pressure on a second later, it would have been a try but it wasn't. This is what the TMO was looking for and it was the right decision in my opinion.

Nope, downward pressure before the ball hit the ground and as it hit the ground and as it rebounded from the ground. The slow motion showed it very clearly! haha

One finger that wasn't conclusively even touching the ball, brushing it forward isn't "downward" pressure. And even if the rules could allow for it, something like that isn't worthy of a try.

for what it's worth i thought it was a try, no less so than the aussies first try.

Aussies can count themselves very lucky to get away with that game.. will be interesting to see how England NZ goes as if england win everyone will be on two wins (i presume)

Last edited:
for what it's worth i thought it was a try, no less so than the aussies first try.

Aussies can count themselves very lucky to get away with that game.. will be interesting to see how England NZ goes as if england win everyone will be on two wins (i presume)

In the Jennings case he's got hold of the ball and whilst he starts losing it on the way down, his fingers never leave contact with it and importantly there's clear downward pressure the whole way. In England's case a pinky finger brushes the side of the ball as it's on an upward trajectory bouncing out. So the case for downward pressure is extremely poor.

But you're right that Australia were very lucky to get out of that game. Walker is f##king useless and I honestly don't know what he's doing in the team, but I also don't get why Inglis plays perfect footy for Qld and Souths when he's tearing up teams I support, but when he's finally on my side he becomes human and starts f##king up!

In the Jennings case he's got hold of the ball and whilst he starts losing it on the way down, his fingers never leave contact with it and importantly there's clear downward pressure the whole way. In England's case a pinky finger brushes the side of the ball as it's on an upward trajectory bouncing out. So the case for downward pressure is extremely poor.

But you're right that Australia were very lucky to get out of that game. Walker is f##king useless and I honestly don't know what he's doing in the team, but I also don't get why Inglis plays perfect footy for Qld and Souths when he's tearing up teams I support, but when he's finally on my side he becomes human and starts f##king up!

Really disagree. But hey ho.... Was still a good game to watch

Was bloody brilliant - england were great and part of me almost wanted them to get up, because it'd mean people here would respect it more.

Didnt stay up to watch it live so just caught the highlights on the BBC website. Seen the headline "controversial" end due to the try not being given...and then having seen the footage there was nothing controversial about it. In control and downward pressure...getting a finger is not control while it could only loosely be determined as downward pressure.

If anything I'd be slightly more pro England (for no other reason than being more familiar with the names) but never in a month of Sundays was that a try. Good effort though. Having looked at the Aussie list of the 100 best players it is clear they know nothing about Ryan Hall who is quality. Dare i say it but he would be a class addition to the wing for the England Union team.

Why English and Kangaroos wore striped jerseys?

Its what they wore in the 1914 "Rorkes Drift" test. A commeration to that test match

In Super League that would be awarded as a try. However, I agree with the decision to disallow it, not least because I can't stand most of the England players! How can anyone say that a player has "control" with a little finger?! Not a chance for me - but I didn't like Jennings' try either, I thought that should have been scrubbed off as well. Really poor grounding.

Other than that, everyone is talking about that incident which masks the real issue - yet again the genius of Steve McNamara. The Kangaroos were there for the taking in the first twenty minutes of the second half. Instead of moving the ball wide and keeping on the front foot, the tactics were to try and defend the eight point lead and for that reason they got exactly what they deserved - nothing.

Other than that, everyone is talking about that incident which masks the real issue - yet again the genius of Steve McNamara. The Kangaroos were there for the taking in the first twenty minutes of the second half. Instead of moving the ball wide and keeping on the front foot, the tactics were to try and defend the eight point lead and for that reason they got exactly what they deserved - nothing.

Yeah, watching England play the Kangaroos reminds me of watching the Wallabies play the All Blacks - on the rare occasion that the Wallabies get the lead near the end of a match they just shut up shop and try to defend it, a tactic that every single time sees them run down and beat. It's extraordinarily frustrating to watch.

Yeah, couldn't understand why Clark was taken off - the difference between when he was on today and last week was massive.

Latest posts