• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

2014 Six Nations: Ireland vs Wales (Round 2)

Dreadful performance. We lost that up front, not one of the pack outplayed their opposite number, and in most cases were a distant second best. In those conditions, that was game over.

Our lineout was a huge problem with Hibbard at hooker, it was just a complete mess and we handed Ireland possession and territory when we should have been applying pressure ourselves. We were completely outplayed at the breakdown as well.

Murray and Sexton took full advantage with a great display of tactical kicking. It all meant that we couldn't get a foothold in the match and our backline became passengers. On the occasions we did apply some pressure, we did look half decent, but mistakes crept in.

Fully deserved victory to Ireland with Healy, POC, POM, Murray, Sexton and Kearney having very good games.

I'm not sure if tactics can be blamed necessarily. When the forwards are second best by that margin, it doesn't really matter what your tactics are. Gatland's inability to sort out the lineout, and our inability to deal with the rolling maul is a problem which needs addressing though, the lineout has been an issue for years.

Very disappointed.

Ireland are starting to look concerning (for opponents) at the breakdown...and those mauls are mighty.
Hope coach and staff are watching in Paris...we'll have had the whole tournament to think of good counters for that maul and prepare for the rucks psychologically.

Ireland are starting to look concerning (for opponents) at the breakdown...and those mauls are mighty.
Hope coach and staff are watching in Paris...we'll have had the whole tournament to think of good counters for that maul and prepare for the rucks psychologically.

They've always been pretty good at the break down? This isn't a new thing?

Right now, Ireland look like a side that can take on Twickenham. Now, to see what England can manage in Murrayfield, and we'll have a good idea. SUCKS there's this one week break though after Sunday...

Anyone else hear Paulie interview - how a man can be that sick, wired up on medication and still produce a super 55mins says all you need to know about him. A normal man would be held down.

Re Phillips: What an idiot went constantly looking for a fight a Barnes must've had a headache from him

Typical. Sleep through my alarm, Trimble produces.

Interesting carrying stats from the forwards. Never really got going. Alarming for everyone else to see two big winning margins from an Ireland side unilaterally shorn of most of its best linebreaking options, only Healy left really.

edit: Although those might be wrong. Welsh stats show a big number of penalties and missed tackles.

Commiserations to the Taffs, bounce back strong next game lads (cos the French need a beating innit)

Last edited:
I think O'Driscoll will have got some personal satisfaction with that victory!

Typical. Sleep through my alarm, Trimble produces.

Interesting carrying stats from the forwards. Never really got going. Alarming for everyone else to see two big winning margins from an Ireland side unilaterally shorn of most of its best linebreaking options, only Healy left really.

Always done it for Ulster but it seems Schmidt has finally got to tap in to that head and got the best game Trimble has played in green by a country mile. Was very surprised he went off after 60 but in fairness Schmidt used bench well

Who is this Twickenham team Yoe?

some loud and way too proud for its own good team, since you ask.

Cian Healy looked very impressive against Adam Jones. I fear for Wales this is the end of the unbeatable tighthead side era for them...he seems too old for this job at this level unfortunately...good scrum overall from Ireland. They've really progressed impressively and have confirmed all the things they'd been doing well before and do them better. Irish fans must be very happy. Hopefully Vincent Clerc is picked for the final game in Paris ;)

I have to hand it to Ireland they played with an intensity that the Welsh lads couldn't match at the break down and set piece on this occasion. Feels like there is a bit of a Lions hangover after the first two games, but that isn't taking anything away from a fantastic performance from the Irish pack. We know Wales can play better than that and I am very disappointed that we didn't put in a better performance.

Ireland won it completely at the breakdown. 90% of Barnes decisions seemed correct and I only question the double movement call, because from his angle, I think he should have went upstairs. There were a lot of penalties for Ireland but from I was it seemed to come from the pressure that Ireland put on Wales.

Its a shame the Welsh back line had such sparse and poor ball. Preistland's kicking out of hand was excellent, but in terms of his ability in starting an attacking move I question his ability at the moment. He picked a few odd passes in attacking phases that left individual (and sometimes dummy runners) on their own in midfield. I need to re-watch the game for examples.

I think other teams will challenge Ireland's back row and they won't have that dominance in future games. I also think that considering the amount of ball they had, the attacks from the backine were well defended. BOD did nothing to tell me he was better than Jonathan Davies today.

All in all, well done Ireland and enjoy your evening!

Ah well Wales. You always have the Heineken........
Sorry that was uncalled far. Really complete Irish performance with everyone justifying their selection. I got proved very wrong by Trimble today. Played a stormer, as did the brothers Kearney. Gave that back three nothing. My only change as it stands would be to start with Moore. What a cannonball.
Chuffed O'Mahony had such a game. He has a lot of critics but that's two great performances now. Henry was pure class too.
Paulie is a mean machine. Was great to see Liam Williams and Phillips throttled like the scum they are. Shame because I thought Phillips was playing ok. Welsh fans were fair vocal in the stadium, fair play and hard luck.

Last edited:
Ireland's pack bullied their Welsh counterparts. It was 10 man rugby but when they're that dominant up front, why change tact?

Peter O'Mahony has really stepped up over the last couple of games. A mixed day for Dan Tuohy. He'll have taken great belief from the fact that the Ireland coach thought highly enough of him to bring him on for the Ireland captain with 25 minutes remaining. His injury is a huge down side. I'm very happy for Paddy Jackson. It's fair to say that he looked like a rabbit caught in the headlights this time last year. His try today will be a massive confidence boost.

What a difference a coach makes. Would Declan Kidney have replaced Mike Ross, Cian Healy and Paul O'Connell that early with the game still relatively close? Not a hope. Joe Schmidt has talked about building a squad of 30-35 players who are interchangeable. He's spoken about using 34 players in the 6 Nations. After three years at Leinster, I'd wager that there's not a fan of that province who questions his selection decisions. Hopefully some from outside Leinster now see that rotation is part of his policy and not to bring petty provincial rivalries into it.

Lots of positives but the backs have to up their game. Twickenham should be a belter.

Ireland's pack bullied their Welsh counterparts. It was 10 man rugby but when they're that dominant up front, why change tact?

Peter O'Mahony has really stepped up over the last couple of games. A mixed day for Dan Tuohy. He'll have taken great belief from the fact that the Ireland coach thought highly enough of him to bring him on for the Ireland captain with 25 minutes remaining. His injury is a huge down side. I'm very happy for Paddy Jackson. It's fair to say that he looked like a rabbit caught in the headlights this time last year. His try today will be a massive confidence boost.

What a difference a coach makes. Would Declan Kidney have replaced Mike Ross, Cian Healy and Paul O'Connell that early with the game still relatively close? Not a hope. Joe Schmidt has talked about building a squad of 30-35 players who are interchangeable. He's spoken about using 34 players in the 6 Nations. After three years at Leinster, I'd wager that there's not a fan of that province who questions his selection decisions. Hopefully some from outside Leinster now see that rotation is part of his policy and not to bring petty provincial rivalries into it.

Lots of positives but the backs have to up their game. Twickenham should be a belter.

On that though Snoop POC did well to even make the field so he was always going to be replaced but agree regards rotation point and squad and I'll admit to being 1 that is turning to his ideas but at same time I'd put point of caution that he can't rotate too much as we have to keep momentum going and unlike provincial level every game is like a final.
But again agree with you on POM but this has been his form in red all year but what I'll say about Schmidt is he seems to have got a plan our guys really understand and suit our strengths but again I'm sure he's still trying to find balance in some areas

Ireland were tactically sound today but to be fair they knew what to expect from a welsh team that continues to play predictable rugby. They were not aloud to play the way they wanted today sexton was outstanding. The big welsh backs for most of the game were seen wanting and running behind play to retrieve the ball is not what the big lads want, wales need a bit more variety in their game instead of just giving the ball to the big lads on the game line it wont work when your playing against the best teams they will just put men on them and put the hits in.

O'Mahony has been excellent. Trying to explain his recent improvement in the Irish shirt is interesting. I have two trains of thought on the subject: The simpler explanation is that he's the kind of player who thrives when he's put into a position of responsibility, which the loss of Sean O'Brien has thrust him into.

Another idea is that O'Mahony's game for Munster has always been very rounded. He's good at the break down, a good defender and a good carrier, without being truly excellent at and of these facets. Bringing that to the international stage is very difficult in comparison to someone who is very strong in one of two areas. As such, he went to very effective at Munster to average for Ireland. Now that he's improving he's again getting to the level when he's above average in all areas, and as such becoming a big asset. In any case, he and Chris Henry have been big plusses for Ireland this spring.

O'Mahony has been excellent. Trying to explain his recent improvement in the Irish shirt is interesting. I have two trains of thought on the subject: The simpler explanation is that he's the kind of player who thrives when he's put into a position of responsibility, which the loss of Sean O'Brien has thrust him into.

Another idea is that O'Mahony's game for Munster has always been very rounded. He's good at the break down, a good defender and a good carrier, without being truly excellent at and of these facets. Bringing that to the international stage is very difficult in comparison to someone who is very strong in one of two areas. As such, he went to very effective at Munster to average for Ireland. Now that he's improving he's again getting to the level when he's above average in all areas, and as such becoming a big asset. In any case, he and Chris Henry have been big plusses for Ireland this spring.
In fairness he's only 24 and is still settling in to been a starter. Like he's had that at Munster and performed. Now there's the same situation with Ireland. Even SOB had average start to life in Irish jersey most do but when they begin to settle in and feel like they begin then it helps hugely. Toner by no means was magnificent but very good but he's the same in a way. He's settled in now and in a way is comfortable taking over calling lineout etc

Latest posts