• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

2014 Super Rugby: Crusaders v Blues (Round 18)

Jaguares

International
TRF Legend
Country Flag
Argentina
Club or Nation
Argentina
140702122429495956.png

1. Wyatt Crockett
2. Ben Funnell
3. Owen Franks
4. Dominic Bird
5. Samuel Whitelock
6. Jordan Taufua
7. Matt Todd
8. Kieran Read (C)
9. Andy Ellis
10.Colin Slade
11.Nemani Nadolo
12.Dan Carter
13.Ryan Crotty (VC)
14.Kieron Fonotia
15.Israel Dagg
140702122416308648.png

140702122433742137.png

15. Lolagi Visinia
14. Frank Halai
13. Pita Ahki
12. Ma'a Nonu
11. Charles Piutau
10. Ihaia West
9. Bryn Hall
8. Jerome Kaino
7. Luke Braid (C)
6. Steven Luatua
5. Tom Donnelly
4. Patrick Tuipulotu
3. Charlie Faumuina
2. Keven Mealamu
1. Tony Woodcock

Last edited:
Crusaders team named

1. Wyatt Crockett
2. Ben Funnell
3. Owen Franks
4. Dominic Bird
5. Samuel Whitelock
6. Jordan Taufua
7. Matt Todd
8. Kieran Read (C)
9. Andy Ellis
10.Colin Slade
11.Nemani Nadolo
12.Dan Carter
13.Ryan Crotty (VC)
14.Kieron Fonotia
15.Israel Dagg

Replacements:

16. Corey Flynn
17. Joe Moody
18. Nepo Laulala
19. Jimmy Tupou
20. Luke Whitelock
21. Willi Heinz
22. Tom Taylor
23. Johnny McNicholl

Blues team named:

15. Lolagi Visinia
14. Frank Halai
13. Pita Ahki
12. Ma'a Nonu
11. Charles Piutau
10. Ihaia West
9. Bryn Hall
8. Jerome Kaino
7. Luke Braid (C)
6. Steven Luatua
5. Tom Donnelly
4. Patrick Tuipulotu
3. Charlie Faumuina
2. Keven Mealamu
1. Tony Woodcock

Replacements:

16. James Parsons
17. Ofa Tu'ungafasi
18. Sam Prattley
19. Hayden Triggs
20. Peter Saili
21. Jamison Gibson-Park
22. Francis Saili
23. George Moala

Last edited:
I'm quite looking forward to this match. It is good to see Franks, Read, Carter, and Dagg back starting for the Crusaders, though I do think Carter should be starting at 10. Interesting to see Fonotia shifted to the wing. He lacks the pace to be a wing at this level IMO, but at least he will have a chance of stopping Piutau I suppose! It is good to see Taufua has kept his spot at 6 too - I assumed they would shift L Whitelock back there....

Good to see Piutau back for the Blues, and I'm happy to see him on the wing (with Visinia staying at fullback). Both are capable in either position, but I think this arrangement makes best use of both of their skill-sets.

This should be another close match, but I'm picking the Crusaders to bounce back and wing by 5-10 points. However if they play like they did last weekend (or the Blues play like they did last weekend), we could well see another Blues victory...

This has the potential to be a great game, Whitelock huge loss for the saders!

Why does Nonu kick the ball? Every now and then he does make a good kick, but most of the time he just wastes good attacking ball...

EDIT: I just realized that there are no Whitelock's in the Crusaders starting lineup. I wonder when the last time that happened was?

Last edited:
Crusaders should be well ahead by now almost total dominance. Halai with a very skillfull if lucky try.

Its like the Saders are beating the Blues to death with a really big stick atm.

Last edited:
The Crusaders attack is looking much sharper this week. The are get a lot more width on their passes, and (most importantly) they are all running straight! They should be leading by more than they are, but they are showing some good signs...

Colin Slade still needs to learn not to tackle with his face....

After a good 1st half the 2nd half has been rubbish so far...

Haha I thought Slade had been really solid defensively on Nonu until that tackle. Atleast he's got up and his jaw isnt hanging off....

2 tries by the little Nadolo

Colin Slade still needs to learn not to tackle with his face....

:D:D:D

It's one of the most painful things in this sport. Place the head in the wrong way and get hit by your opponent's knee.

Last edited:
Important win by the Crusaders. It was a reasonably close match, but I thought the Crusaders were clearly the better side in the 1st half, but butchered several try scoring chances. The Blues were probably the better side in the 2nd half but didn't really look like penetrating the Crusaders defense. I thought the Crusaders attack looked pretty sharp in that 1st 20-odd minutes, but they couldn't keep it up. If they can play like that for 80 minutes they should probably be favourites to win the ***le....

A few comments on the players:
- Jimmy Tupou made a impresssive starting debut for the Crusaders. He is better suited to 6 than lock, but his ball running was a real feature. Hopefully S Whitelock's injury is not too serious.
- Read showed some excellent signs with running the ball out wide, Taufua got through a lot of work, and Matt Todd had a strong match too (slightly shading Braid in my opinion).
- Barring that intercept pass I thought Ellis controlled the game very well.
- Dan Carter made a big impact in my opinion. His passing was very crisp, he wasn't afraid to take on the line, and showed some real pace with ball in hand.
- Crotty played well yet again.
- Nadolo was a real weapon. The Crusaders are so much better with him on the wing. I thought he made some key tackles too. Dagg was quiet at fullback, but offer far more security at the back than they get from Tom Taylor! It was good to see McNicholl make an impact when he came on too.

- Tuipolotu continued his strong ball running form
- The loose-trio were all good, but I feel slightly shaded by the Crusaders.
- West's passing game impressed, but he really needs to improve his tackling!
- Nonu was ok, but I wish he would stop kicking the bloody ball away....
- Halai, Piutau, and Visinia were all solid, but didn't get enough space to really show their pace/power.

Important win by the Crusaders. It was a reasonably close match, but I thought the Crusaders were clearly the better side in the 1st half, but butchered several try scoring chances. The Blues were probably the better side in the 2nd half but didn't really look like penetrating the Crusaders defense. I thought the Crusaders attack looked pretty sharp in that 1st 20-odd minutes, but they couldn't keep it up. If they can play like that for 80 minutes they should probably be favourites to win the ***le....

A few comments on the players:
- Jimmy Tupou made a impresssive starting debut for the Crusaders. He is better suited to 6 than lock, but his ball running was a real feature. Hopefully S Whitelock's injury is not too serious.
- Read showed some excellent signs with running the ball out wide, Taufua got through a lot of work, and Matt Todd had a strong match too (slightly shading Braid in my opinion).
- Barring that intercept pass I thought Ellis controlled the game very well.
- Dan Carter made a big impact in my opinion. His passing was very crisp, he wasn't afraid to take on the line, and showed some real pace with ball in hand.
- Crotty played well yet again.
- Nadolo was a real weapon. The Crusaders are so much better with him on the wing. I thought he made some key tackles too. Dagg was quiet at fullback, but offer far more security at the back than they get from Tom Taylor! It was good to see McNicholl make an impact when he came on too.

- Tuipolotu continued his strong ball running form
- The loose-trio were all good, but I feel slightly shaded by the Crusaders.
- West's passing game impressed, but he really needs to improve his tackling!
- Nonu was ok, but I wish he would stop kicking the bloody ball away....
- Halai, Piutau, and Visinia were all solid, but didn't get enough space to really show their pace/power.

Another impressive analysis by Darwin. A pleasure to read you, mate. You should have your own Rugby's TV show :thumbup:

At the risk of being one-sided, I think the Blues were penalised out of the this match.

As an aside; I was quite surprised to see TMO Vinny Munro allow the intercept try. ..not that it wasn't legit, but Munro should really not be allowed to Ref any Canterbury/Crusaders games.

At the risk of being one-sided, I think the Blues were penalised out of the this match.

As an aside; I was quite surprised to see TMO Vinny Munro allow the intercept try. ..not that it wasn't legit, but Munro should really not be allowed to Ref any Canterbury/Crusaders games.

Perhaps if the Blues had stopped cheating they wouldn't have been penalised as much ;)

Looking at the penalty count it was pretty even (Blues were penalised 11 times, Crusaders 9) - personally I don't think it had a big impact on the match. I think the Crusaders were clearly the better side. The Blues had more ball, but the Crusaders made over twice as many linebreaks as the Blues, and made 92% of there tackles (versus on 81% for the Blues).

I concede Darwin.
I watched again without beer goggles and the game wasn't as unfair as I recall.
The right team won it.

Latest posts