Kiwiwomble

International
TRF Legend
Country Flag
New Zealand
Club or Nation
Otago
1687761551280.png

probably the biggest change we can expect to super rugby any time soon...NZ teams will be getting different Kit next year! adidas definitely ran out ideas and will be interesting if we continue to block colour approach that adiads had been using for a while...or might we see some old school rugby jersey design, stripes etc?

personally i would have let each franchise do their own kit deal, see if we could get something unique or different but it looks like it will be a group deal again

Last edited:
View attachment 16949

probably the biggest change we can expect to super rugby any time soon...NZ teams will be getting different Kit next year! adidas definitely ran out ideas and will be interesting if we continue to block colour approach that adiads had been using for a while...or might we see some old school rugby jersey design, stripes etc?

personally i would have let each franchise do their own kit deal, see if we could get something unique or different but it looks like it will be a group deal again
Hope they Steer clear of Umbro. 🤔

A switch to Nike? Or back to Canterbury? Or something leftfield like Uniqlo, to appeal to the Japanese market.

Edit: assume this affects the ABs shirts as well?

Hope they Steer clear of Umbro. 🤔

A switch to Nike? Or back to Canterbury? Or something leftfield like Uniqlo, to appeal to the Japanese market.

Edit: assume this affects the ABs shirts as well?
so, several fairly reliable rumors say an aussie company "Classic Sportswear" have secured the rights

dont know if they have much a presence elsewhere but they do a lot of the NRL jersey and have dabbled in Union, did the Brumbies for ages i think

no, not the AB's, Adidas signed a new deal earlier in the year with NZR but it excluded the super teams

1687928783184.png

big changes coming for the highlanders next season, a lot f those guys (7-9?) were starters this year

1689113199157.png

Rhys Patchell joining the Highlanders, good signing?

I saw tavatavanawai is also joining the highlanders. I feel bad for moana pacifika losing both him and Levi aumua, the two guys who owned all the tackle bust stats

I saw tavatavanawai is also joining the highlanders. I feel bad for moana pacifika losing both him and Levi aumua, the two guys who owned all the tackle bust stats
yeah, a little conflicted, obviously want the highlander to do well but also want MP and FD to do well because i think super rugby will die without some diversification...i think it just shows the business case for MP is a bit flawed, jamming another team into the same area, i think it either needs to be based in the islands like FD or it needs to be a full 6th franchise in the central north island or something

yeah, a little conflicted, obviously want the highlander to do well but also want MP and FD to do well because i think super rugby will die without some diversification...i think it just shows the business case for MP is a bit flawed, jamming another team into the same area, i think it either needs to be based in the islands like FD or it needs to be a full 6th franchise in the central north island or something
Originally they said they aimed to have 80 per cent of MP players eligible for the islands test teams; the idea was they could get some star players who weren't eligible. But then people came out and said they were disappointed Levi aumua was playing for all blacks XV.

Interesting that tavatavanawai is leaving; presumably he thinks he can promote himself better at the highlanders.

I also fear with probably a lot of MP pkayers coming off contract but their coach being part of the samoa test team whether they will manage to get in quick enough to secure good players rather than just dealing with the scraps.

They should also promote them better, as a team for everybody to support, potentially as their second tram, because at the moment people don't support them unless they are pacific people and the pacific people, who prefer the warriors or the blues, don't want to fork out often limited money to go see them during a cost of living crisis.

View attachment 17072

Rhys Patchell joining the Highlanders, good signing?
I think he is a great fit for Super Rugby style play, but he is not the sort of player to stabilise a struggling side like the Highlanders or to orchestrate a kick orientated game. If their pack performs at the breakdown and he has a decent scrum half he could really make an impact. Far better than say Marty Banks (who I thought was okay). He does appear to have fallen out of favour at Scarlets though, so perhaps there are injury issues?

One of my favourite NH players of the last decade who has been criminally overlooked by club and country largely because of a suggestion that this URC winning flyhalf doesn't have mental toughness and him playing during the era of 'Gatland ball'.

I think he is a great fit for Super Rugby style play, but he is not the sort of player to stabilise a struggling side like the Highlanders or to orchestrate a kick orientated game. If their pack performs at the breakdown and he has a decent scrum half he could really make an impact. Far better than say Marty Banks (who I thought was okay). He does appear to have fallen out of favour at Scarlets though, so perhaps there are injury issues?

One of my favourite NH players of the last decade who has been criminally overlooked by club and country largely because of a suggestion that this URC winning flyhalf doesn't have mental toughness and him playing during the era of 'Gatland ball'.
yeah, going to be very interesting next year. yes, the Highlanders have really struggled...but have also let 16 players go and a lot of those were starters...so a fair bit of unknown

theyve confirmed the super round for Melbourne again next year so you would think the draw must be all but finilised

@Fly_Half10715 just dropped but Offical Site hasnt been updated, individual teams are announcing theirs if you have a fav team?

this is well off topic but being involved with a club in melbourne has changed my perspective a lot

my feeling is unfortunately there is going to be a lot of pain before any gain. I think we're past limiting the aussie teams to fit the talent pool, its too small and i dont think it will grow interest or playing numbers, might have worked in the past when aussie teams were doing ok, keeping them strong is different to making them strong

I think the only way long term is to dilute the NZ teams down to the aussie level and then a competitive comp will drive innovation and over time raise the over all level in NZ/Aus

so aussie keeps its team or at most drops to 4...but NZ goes to like 7 (so 4x aus, 7xNZ, Drua, tonga/samoa, 2xJapanese or argentinian) 15 total, full round robin

personally i dont think NZ can introduce new teams as everyone already has a team so i would carve out the top NPC teams, ditch the super franchises and remake them as fully professional

plus, as you say, a restructure in aus to connect those of us that do enjoy rugby with the higher levels...club games going on at the same time as super/internationals just means theyre making it hard for actual fans, people that spend money on rugby....to watch rugby
Different structure but same fundamental mistakes that SR makes IMO.

But yeah- well off topic.

moving it over hear, what specifically, would be a pretty different approach to how things have worked to date, everything cant be wrong can it?

moving it over hear, what specifically, would be a pretty different approach to how things have worked to date, everything cant be wrong can it?
I don't think it appeals to either fan base properly. The derbies are the only ones that draw a crowd on either side of the ditch.

Think AFL and NRL also demonstrate Aussies insularity, generally.

I reckon SR needs to be the cherry not the whole cake, so to speak.

SR should have been wrapped up during Covid and both countries moved to a majority domestic comp. Then a champions cup could be layered on top for multi-country flavour.

I don't think it appeals to either fan base properly. The derbies are the only ones that draw a crowd on either side of the ditch.

Think AFL and NRL also demonstrate Aussies insularity, generally.

I reckon SR needs to be the cherry not the whole cake, so to speak.

SR should have been wrapped up during Covid and both countries moved to a majority domestic comp. Then a champions cup could be layered on top for multi-country flavour.
were Aussie fans interested in cross cohntry games when they were more competitive?
Personally, when they are competitive, I like the cross country games the most. Not saying I'm typical though

were Aussie fans interested in cross cohntry games when they were more competitive?
Personally, when they are competitive, I like the cross country games the most. Not saying I'm typical though
That's my recollection, I'm not sure it's the inter Aussie passion that brings the fans because the Aussie rugby fans aren't that passionate, there isn't that culture in Aussie rugby…I think they turn up because they have a better chance of winning

Latest posts