• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Super Rugby Pacific (2023)

Australia and New Zealand are in for a massive shock in the RWC if that's the standard of reffing they're accustomed to
This will prolly come out wrong so i apologize in advance, but i have to say it. I genuinely like your posts and have no beef with you, quite the contrary. I hope you know that at this point, even when we staunchly disagree.
Having said that, do you realize how self centered that quote sounds? I am not taking the ****, it's a sincere question.

5 out of the 12 WC ref's are from the SH and somehow your post implies that the SH will be the one having to addapt to the NH's refereeing standards... And i can even understand you thinking it, as werid as that sounds. What kind of surprises me thou is the ease and naturalness with which you state that, out loud.
Again, plese, dont take this as an insult. I am honestly flabbergasted.

Regarding the call, i can see arguments for both a yellow and a red. I am by no means a crusaders supporter and had no skin whatsoever in the game. If pushed to make a call, yellow for me.

Congrats Crusaders.

5 out of the 12 WC ref's are from the SH and somehow your post implies that the SH will be the one having to addapt to the NH's refereeing standards...
Four, South African refs ref in the NH

Any other comp (including international) that's a red card every day of the week - it's nothing to do with SH vs NH it's to do with the interpretation of laws in a competition
Prem sides have to adapt to french refs in Europe, Irish sides have to adapt to English refs etc.

Based on that incident super rugby interpretations are far more lax than Europe,
Of course NH sides will have to adapt to SR ref interpretations but they won't be the ones getting red carded for things they'd expect to be yellow carded for usually

So let me get this straight: You see a call in a NZ game, you believe the call to be wrong, you assume all other non nz refs would agree with you (as you are right), and therefore new zealand will have to addapt to what you consider the ref standard that the world cup should have.
Is my understand correct? Ballpark it.

I would also expect that pressure on refs from world rugby in pre WC briefs will be clear. I'll be amazed if you see an incident like that given as a yellow by any ref in the WC. Super Rugby final is obviously a big game but it's not a globally viewed event like the WC where the pressure to at least try and be more consistent will be more intense.

I honestly don't know how you make a case for a yellow card on this one. Rugby incident? I would expect subsequent action to be taken if a ref made that clear of an error set out in the guidelines.

This will prolly come out wrong so i apologize in advance, but i have to say it. I genuinely like your posts and have no beef with you, quite the contrary. I hope you know that at this point, even when we staunchly disagree.
Having said that, do you realize how self centered that quote sounds? I am not taking the ****, it's a sincere question.

5 out of the 12 WC ref's are from the SH and somehow your post implies that the SH will be the one having to addapt to the NH's refereeing standards... And i can even understand you thinking it, as werid as that sounds. What kind of surprises me thou is the ease and naturalness with which you state that, out loud.

Regarding the call, i can see arguments for both a yellow and a red. I am by no means a crusaders supporter and had no skin whatsoever in the game. If pushed to make a call, yellow for me.

Congrats Crusaders.
I think @TRF_Olyy's choice of words in the first post wasn't quite right. It's not the 'standard' of refereeing - it's more the interpretation and application of the laws in relation to head on head collisions/high tackles.
Four, South African refs ref in the NH

Any other comp (including international) that's a red card every day of the week - it's nothing to do with SH vs NH it's to do with the interpretation of laws in a competition
Prem sides have to adapt to french refs in Europe, Irish sides have to adapt to English refs etc.

Based on that incident super rugby interpretations are far more lax than Europe,
Of course NH sides will have to adapt to SR ref interpretations but they won't be the ones getting red carded for things they'd expect to be yellow carded for usually
The key point here is that it would definitely have been a red in a test match. @TRF_Olyy was raising it as a potential problem for SH sides at the RWC if they're only used to seeing yellows for that kind of incident. And he's 100% right.

With the after effects of concussion potentially an existential threat to rugby as we know it, World Rugby will be clamping down hard in their showpiece event.

Just seen a clip of the yellow card (that wasn't upgraded to red on review)
Australia and New Zealand are in for a massive shock in the RWC if that's the standard of reffing they're accustomed to 😬
I think you'll find the citing commissioner find it should have been a red. I'd put good money on it.

Awful yellow card decision to one side, what a superb game of rugby I thought.

I don't get to watch Super Rugby often so today I made a point of catching the final.

Never fails to impress me the speed of the breakdown in Super Rugby. Also the ball skills and special awareness of the forwards, who seem to be able to pass blind and have that gut feel of where a player is going to be. So different to the Premiership in England.

Looking ahead, very exciting for NZ to have Scott Robertson leading them.

NZ v France is going to be some group game at the RWC isn't it? Incredible.

What an exciting full back the Chiefs had - was incredibly impressed with him. Just checked and he's not been capped by NZ at all yet? What depth do you boys have down there that's keeping him out?!

Can't wait to see us all pit our wits at RWC guys, still think the Southern Hemisphere boys are marginal favs to win it, Aussies dark horses especially with a favourable draw!
Shaun stevenson has struggled for consistent game time in super rugby since making his debut in 2016 until the last couple of seasons. He has been named as injury cover in the 36 man squad for the rugby championship. I hope he gets to play

Congrats Crusaders.
this is one hot take

every kiwi of aussie i have talked to thought it should have been a Red...the ref ****** up, even by normal SH standards thats a Red

and @TRF_Olyy is right, we are going to get a shock if we tackle like that, even if that was the accepted standard of reffing in SRP (its not)....things are always tightened up for a world cup, they always lean towards the conservative

this is one hot take

every kiwi of aussie i have talked to thought it should have been a Red...the ref ****** up, even by normal SH standards thats a Red

and @TRF_Olyy is right, we are going to get a shock if we tackle like that, even if that was the accepted standard of reffing in SRP (its not)....things are always tightened up for a world cup, they always lean towards the conservative
Yeah, while that incident is not indicative of the reffing in super rugby it certainly has been more lenient than what they'll typically get at the World Cup. There are sometimes incidents in super rugby that go "unnoticed" altogether .

That's not the point. The call is anecdotal at best. This is about entitlement. I am quite certain every kiwi or aussie you talk to don't go telling people from the NH how they'll have to adjust their style to proper refereeing once the world cup starts after watching a call they disagree with in the premiership/top14/urc.
Nvm, my opinion has been presented and, shockingly, most disagree. Let's move on.

That's not the point. The call is anecdotal at best. This is about entitlement. I am quite certain every kiwi or aussie you talk to don't go telling people from the NH how they'll have to adjust their style to proper refereeing once the world cup starts after watching a call they disagree with in the premiership/top14/urc.
Nvm, my opinion has been presented and, shockingly, most disagree. Let's move on.
no...they dont...because in general the SH refs have let more stuff go....so have got use to one way of playing that they might not be able to do at the RWC....where as NH layers are more use to it....so they WONT have to adjust anything...im not sure you understand what people are saying here...

because in general the SH refs have let more stuff go
In order to avoid going down the your-vs-my-opinion rabbit hole, i suppose you have some sort of stat to back that up, right?
Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence, et al.

In order to avoid going down the your-vs-my-opinion rabbit hole, i suppose you have some sort of stat to back that up, right?
Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence, et al.
only everyone...thats ever watched a SR game (except you apparently) agreeing the NH ref run a tighter ship and SH ref tend to try and let the game flow

Just so we are clear, I asked for a source ,you provided none.
I guess i missed the memo where they appointed you as a spokesperson for 'everyone'.
Maybe, just maybe, there's a bit of post in that echo chamber and confirmation bias of yours.

no...they dont...because in general the SH refs have let more stuff go....so have got use to one way of playing that they might not be able to do at the RWC....where as NH layers are more use to it....so they WONT have to adjust anything...im not sure you understand what people are saying here...
Had Damon Murphy or Gus Gardner ref any of your games lately

Latest posts