• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

[2015 ITM Cup] Discussion

Damn what a good game, Hawkes Bay played bad for large parts of that game, man McKenzie and Weber are so good, future Ab's.

Damn what a good game, Hawkes Bay played bad for large parts of that game, man McKenzie and Weber are so good, future Ab's.

yeah, well done Waikato! I didn't see that coming! I'm not sold on McKenzie yet but Webber will be an AB for a long time and will be a regular from next year.

yeah, well done Waikato! I didn't see that coming! I'm not sold on McKenzie yet but Webber will be an AB for a long time and will be a regular from next year.

I haven't been for a long time, but given his age and some of the plays he makes he's an unreal talent. Consistency is his next big step, I'm sure with the right coaching he can make the step up.

I haven't been for a long time, but given his age and some of the plays he makes he's an unreal talent. Consistency is his next big step, I'm sure with the right coaching he can make the step up.
yup I agree. What I am saying is Webber will be an AB next year, I can't say that about McKenzie though. If anything he is still at least a super rugby season or more away from even getting a look in.

yup I agree. What I am saying is Webber will be an AB next year, I can't say that about McKenzie though. If anything he is still at least a super rugby season or more away from even getting a look in.

Could make a break out in the upcoming Lions tour in 2017. Just like Dan did back in 2003! Weird to think McKenzie would have only been 8 then and probably can barely remember it.

Anyhow, I went to my final Otago game tonight before I go too Europe, cracking night and I think we're in good form to make the finals, Wellington didn't look flash vs the Turbo's and we've beaten them before.

v0zKSCv.jpg

Attachments

• Otago.jpg
    Otago.jpg
    150.6 KB · Views: 5
Could make a break out in the upcoming Lions tour in 2017. Just like Dan did back in 2003! Weird to think McKenzie would have only been 8 then and probably can barely remember it.

Anyhow, I went to my final Otago game tonight before I go too Europe, cracking night and I think we're in good form to make the finals, Wellington didn't look flash vs the Turbo's and we've beaten them before.

Lions Tour was in 2005 :p.

Enjoy Europe btw!

As much as I love the ITM Cup - is anyone else a tad concerned with the lack of priority defense has been given? I mean it creates for some fun to watch rugby but look at the scores this last week:

[TABLE="class: responsive"]
[TR]
[TD]07 Oct[/TD]
[TD]Northland v Otago [/TD]
[TD]Whangarei[/TD]
[TD] 7:35 PM[/TD]
[TD]36-54[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD] 08 Oct[/TD]
[TD]Taranaki v Tasman[/TD]
[TD]New Plymouth[/TD]
[TD]17-35[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD] 09 Oct[/TD]
[TD]Hawke's Bay v Waikato[/TD]
[TD]Napier[/TD]
[TD]30-36[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD] 10 Oct[/TD]
[TD]Canterbury v Southland[/TD]
[TD]Christchurch[/TD]
[TD] 2:35 PM[/TD]
[TD]39-20[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD] 10 Oct[/TD]
[TD]Wellington v Manawatu[/TD]
[TD]Wellington[/TD]
[TD] 5:35 PM[/TD]
[TD]33-39[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD] 10 Oct[/TD]
[TD]Counties Manukau v Auckland[/TD]
[TD]Pukekohe[/TD]
[TD]16-31[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD] 11 Oct[/TD]
[TD]North Harbour v Northland[/TD]
[TD]Albany[/TD]
[TD]36-12[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD] 11 Oct[/TD]
[TD]Otago v Bay of Plenty[/TD]
[TD]Dunedin[/TD]
[TD] 4:35 PM[/TD]
[TD]43-30[/TD]
[/TR]
[/TABLE]

[TR]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD][/TD]
[TD][/TD]
[TD][/TD]
[TD][/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD][/TD]
[TD][/TD]
[TD][/TD]
[TD][/TD]
[TD][/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD][/TD]
[TD][/TD]
[TD][/TD]
[TD][/TD]
[TD][/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD][/TD]
[TD][/TD]
[TD][/TD]
[TD][/TD]
[TD][/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD][/TD]
[TD][/TD]
[TD][/TD]
[TD][/TD]
[TD][/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD][/TD]
[TD][/TD]
[TD][/TD]
[TD][/TD]
[TD][/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD][/TD]
[TD][/TD]
[TD][/TD]
[TD][/TD]
[TD][/TD]
[/TR]
[/TABLE]

Last edited:
Crikey it was to... My memories terrible these days.

Yeah the tackling is non-existent this year, which is a concern, high risk attacking Rugby at the cost of defense. We were laughing that this must be a record season for Otago, for the most points scored and most points conceded, which is probably quite true, some of the scorelines have been ridiculous.

Lions Tour was in 2005 :p.

Enjoy Europe btw!

As much as I love the ITM Cup - is anyone else a tad concerned with the lack of priority defense has been given? I mean it creates for some fun to watch rugby but look at the scores this last week:

[TR]
[TD]07 Oct[/TD]
[TD]Northland v Otago[/TD]
[TD]Whangarei[/TD]
[TD]36-54[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD] 08 Oct[/TD]
[TD]Taranaki v Tasman[/TD]
[TD]New Plymouth[/TD]
[TD]17-35[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD] 09 Oct[/TD]
[TD]Hawke's Bay v Waikato[/TD]
[TD]Napier[/TD]
[TD]30-36[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD] 10 Oct[/TD]
[TD]Canterbury v Southland[/TD]
[TD]Christchurch[/TD]
[TD]39-20[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD] 10 Oct[/TD]
[TD]Wellington v Manawatu[/TD]
[TD]Wellington[/TD]
[TD] 5:35 PM[/TD]
[TD]33-39[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD] 10 Oct[/TD]
[TD]Counties Manukau v Auckland[/TD]
[TD]Pukekohe[/TD]
[TD]16-31[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD] 11 Oct[/TD]
[TD]North Harbour v Northland[/TD]
[TD]Albany[/TD]
[TD]36-12[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD] 11 Oct[/TD]
[TD]Otago v Bay of Plenty[/TD]
[TD]Dunedin[/TD]
[TD] 4:35 PM[/TD]
[TD]43-30[/TD]
[/TR]
[/TABLE]

Yeah, I noticed games were really high scoring as well - particulalry later in the season. I'd be interested to know what percentage of tries have come directly off TOs. I'm hoping that number is quite high which may suggest that it could be more than bad D that is driving this rather an all or nothing attack type mentality. On top of that some of the attack and skills on show has been exquisite tbh! So maybe no need to be overly concerned?

That Otago BOP game was at 73 points with 20 minutes left as well :)

Well Auckland were pretty dominant over Tasman with the score flattering Tasman after Auckland took off Ioane after what seemed like only about 10 min into the second half, presumably not to risk him as they had the game in the bag. Ioane was absolutely fantastic yet again, as was Karpik who I am alsmot certain will both be All Blacks come RWC2019!

Auckland will meet the winner of Canterbury Taranaki which is being played now.

Auckland team announced for the final:
1. Isi Tu'ungafasi
2. Greg Pleasants-Tate
3. Ofa Tu'ungafasi
4. Michael Fatialofa
5. Scott Scrafton
6. Joe Edwards
7. Mitchell Karpik
8. Akira Ioane
9. Kaito Shigeno
10. Simon Hickey
11. Ben Lam
12. George Moala
13. Vince Aso
14. Bryce Heem
15. Charles Piutau

16. Kurt Eklund
17. Tom McHugh
18. Jono Owen
19. William Lloyd
20. Matt Matich
21. Jono Hickey
22. Mitchell Hunt
23. Lolagi Visinia

I've been banging on about Karpik all year, and obvioulsy Ioane is a huge talent. A guy that has not gotten much mention but has been really impressive for Auckland is Shigeno. Watch the way this kid gets around the park and the speed and quality of ball he gets away. Japan should be pretty excited about this kid!!

Some interesting numbers on Mitchell Karpik!!

http://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/rugby/...ting-image-breakdown-battle-with-mitch-karpik

- - - Updated - - -

The Wellington Lions team to face Hawke's Bay at McLean Park, kick-off 7.35pm is;

1. Reggie Goodes
  2. Leni Apisai
  3. Jeffery To'omaga-Allen
  4. Jeremy Thrush
  5. Hoani Matenga
  6. Vaea Fifita
  7. Greg Foe
  8. Ardie Savea (c)
  9. Frae Wilson
  10. Jonny Bentley
  11. Sam McNicol
  12. Marvin Karawana
  13. Matt Proctor
  14. Cory Jane
  15. Jackson Garden-Bachop
Reserves

1. James O'Reilly
  2. Joe Apikotoa
  3. Ben May
  4. James Blackwell
  5. Isaac O'Connor
  6. Tomasi Palu
  7. Tomasi Alosio
  8. Malo Tuitama

I thought Fafita started the season off well, but I've watched him a bit since and I'm not convinced he is as good as everyone first thought. Guys to watch out for I reckon are Cory Jane, Ardie Savea, Sam McNicol (this kid could be pretty good), and the 2 Wellington props who are pretty impressive around the park.

As for HB, it doesnt look like they have officially named their team?? Kinda odd seeing as well are less than 10 hours out form kick-off.

They had a couple injury problems so perhaps there is a delay.

Hard to make predictions yet without teams (Canterbury still not named either), but what are you guys picking?

I had Canterbury Wellington at the start of the season, but I honestly think both games could go either way.

Last edited:
Canterbury team named:
[TABLE="class: t1, width: 720"]
<tbody>[TR]
[TD="class: td1"]1. Daniel Lienert-Brown[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD="class: td1"]2. Ben Funnell[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD="class: td1"]3. Nepo Laulala[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD="class: td1"]4. Mitchell Dunshea[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD="class: td1"]5. Dominic Bird[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD="class: td1"]6. Reed Prinsep[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD="class: td1"]7. Matt Todd[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD="class: td1"]8. Luke Whitelock (c)[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD="class: td1"]9. Mitchell Drummond[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD="class: td1"]10. Richie Mo'unga[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD="class: td1"]11. Patrick Osborne[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD="class: td1"]12. Rob Thompson[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD="class: td1"]13. Ryan Crotty[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD="class: td1"]14. Johnny McNicholl [/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD="class: td1"]15. Tom Taylor[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD="class: td1"]RESERVES[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD="class: td1"]16. Ged Robinson[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD="class: td1"]17. Alex Hodgman[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD="class: td1"]18. Siate Tokolahi[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD="class: td1"]19. Ben Matwijow[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD="class: td1"]20. Tom Sanders[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD="class: td1"]21. Jack Stratton[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD="class: td1"]22. Cameron McIntyre[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD="class: td1"]23. Marshall Suckling
[/TD]
[/TR]
</tbody>[/TABLE]

Osborne back from injury so he's someone to look out for. Mitchell Dunshea, Dominic Bird, Drummond and McNicholl are a few other guys who have caught my eye this season.

- - - Updated - - -

ANd finally HB have named the following team:
Chase, Tongia, Fruean, Horrell, Emerson, West, Eaton, Boswell-Wakefield, O'Connor, Lamborn, Abbott, Allardice, Edmonds, Dixon, Fahamokia
Reserves: Riccitelli, Long, Aoake, Waqa, Stanlet, Wilson, Ropiha, Elkington-McDonald.

So Guildford appears to have gone on a bender big enough to have them dump him completely (that kid has serious issues!!). Sadly the Baracuda is out!

Should be a great game. I think if HB are to win this West will need to be the difference. They have some good forwards, but I'm not sure they will be good enough!

Great win by HB, but I have to say Wellington absolutely butchered that match. Twice they got turn overs in the last 5 minutes inside the HB half when they were up by 6 points and twice they opted for the chip and chase. The first time was Ardie Savea, the second was the replacement winger. Complete ballz up. They could have held onto the ball and eaten up time in the HB half, perhaps even adding to their total. Terrible decision making at key moments cause the reality is they did enough to win that game by double figures!!

Congrats HB though - they fought hard and somehow pulled it off. Fantastic game winning conversion by West from the sideline as well. The kid has a big future!!

I hate being a Lions fan..

They really blew it aye!! The other thing they should have done if they were more clock aware was purposefuly knock it on to get the penalty blown earlier (right at the end). They would have had enough time to kick to touch and attack from about the 22.

Bigger picture though, they were dominant most of the game, they should have won quite comfortably I reckon.

Latest posts