iINDOMINUSxx

First XV
TRF Legend
Country Flag
Scotland
Club or Nation
Edinburgh
how hasn't anyone got this up yet ? ok I'll do it

Wales did start off slowly to they're autumn tests with a lost to Australia, a narrow win against Fiji, a big loss to New Zealand but came back with a win against South Africa. But as already been said the autumn tests doesn't usually describe how Wales will fair in the six nations but I think Wales won't get much higher than 3rd might be able to snatch 2nd.

But I really don't know what Gatland's squad will be for the six nations but it will be very interesting.

What are you guy's thinking should be Wales squad for the six nations ?

I would go for:

Forwards: Gethin Jenkins (Blues), Paul James (Bath), Richard Hibbard (Gloucester), Ken Owens (Scarlets), Kristian Dacey (Blues), Samson Lee (Scarlets), Adam Jones (Blues),
Jake Ball (Scarlets), Luke Charteris (Racing Metro), Alun-Wyn Jones (Ospreys), Bradley Davies (Wasps), Dan Lydiate (Ospreys), Josh Turnbull (Blues), Toby Faletau
(Dragons), Dan Baker (Ospreys), Sam Warburton (Blues) Justin Tipuric (Ospreys)

Backs: Leigh Halfpenny (Toulon), Liam Williams (Scarlets), George North (Northampton) Alex Cuthbert (Blues), Gareth Anscombe (Blues), Jonathan Davies (Clermont),
Scott Williams (Scarlets), Jamie Roberts (Racing Metro), Dan Biggar (Ospreys), Owen Williams (Leicester), Rhys Webb (Ospreys), Gareth Davies (Scarlets),
Mike Phillips (Racing Metro)

Is there someone who can be picked over Paul James? He seems past it to me now. His scrummaging, which used to set him apart, isn't overly impressive any more.

Who is this Rob Evans I keep hearing about? What's he like (not been able to see him yet)?

Is there someone who can be picked over Paul James? He seems past it to me now. His scrummaging, which used to set him apart, isn't overly impressive any more.

Who is this Rob Evans I keep hearing about? What's he like (not been able to see him yet)?

true, I've noticed that.
I'll say the usual, there's no way to say too much that couldn't turn out to be absolute, utter bullcrap. Like, it's perfectly legit to think Wales will win it, and then again they totally could get fifth, below France and Scotland.
It's always interesting to return to these threads made about 2-3 months before a Test tour or tournament and read again the things people wrote.
They do have a fairly sympathetic schedule this year, the absolute best they could possibly get for a 3-away, 2-home games one. Then again it's a 3A 2H calendar this year...

They did show a febrile aspect again last November. That narrow win against Fiji was simply shameful, to be neutral about it. The game against the All-Blacks was fine, but losing the last-10-min-match in the match by this much is symptomatic, not benign. But then taking it to the Boks for a second straight time was also not just a one-off. That's shown what they can do when they're at home and execute their gameplan well; wasn't even flashy or lucky, so they've got that much in store up front in real consistent value; add to that they've got a backline that commands lots of attention, always, and if that clicks too additionally...they definitely have what it takes to beat England and Ireland at home. France atm is seriously hit or miss, and a win in Paris would not be a great achievement this time around. Italy aren't the same flaky, amorphic substance they were this past year, and in Rome they could target this Welsh reception; while I don't fancy playing in Murrayfield these days against a focused, finally structured and assertive Cotter-driven Scottish side.
But playing away in France, Scotland and Italy is better than playing in England and Ireland these days. You can absolutely find a hilariously uncompetitive PSA-led France in Paris, but you won't find an unfocused Irish side in Dublin or English at Twickenham.

I think the Italians will fall into the same mindset that South Africa did. They refuse to be outmuscled, whether this be Machismo or whatever. It's a (relatively) easy thing to plan for.
Everyone knows Wales play a physical game, and it wasn't the biggest surprise that we beat the Boks, whilst losing to (the really sneaky/crafty/dont trust them!) Ozzies.
England and Ireland at home makes a big difference, as the current players have no 'indian sign' over each other, and home advantage does (more often than not) prove to be an advantage.
One thing I do think is there will be quite a bit of experimentation, which could skew results.
At the moment I'd expect Wales to win their 3 home games (very very very close vs England), scrape a win at Murrayfield, and lose in France.

I think the Italians will fall into the same mindset that South Africa did. They refuse to be outmuscled, whether this be Machismo or whatever. It's a (relatively) easy thing to plan for.
Everyone knows Wales play a physical game, and it wasn't the biggest surprise that we beat the Boks, whilst losing to (the really sneaky/crafty/dont trust them!) Ozzies.
England and Ireland at home makes a big difference, as the current players have no 'indian sign' over each other, and home advantage does (more often than not) prove to be an advantage.
One thing I do think is there will be quite a bit of experimentation, which could skew results.
At the moment I'd expect Wales to win their 3 home games (very very very close vs England), scrape a win at Murrayfield, and lose in France.

You got Ireland in Cardiff ? Ireland always win in Cardiff for some reason

Shhhhhhhhhhh! They used to, dont go reminding them!

I think they beat you in Cardiff last time round didn't they ? Until last year Wales won in Dublin and Ireland won in Cardiff ! Haha screw logic I say !!

actually dude, not being a dick but, yes, seriously, that was literally the "BIGGEST surprise" !! I know where you're coming from, like on paper it seemed possible and SA are much more predictable than the sneaky Aussies...
otherwise I'm your opposite: I feel Wales will get a good win, nothing 30-3ish but good against England, and will struggle against Ireland. Obviously the latest results highly impact that vision and it's very much based on recent history rather than actually looking at each side today, but what's happened in the past 2-3 years isn't negligible when it comes to giving a prognostic here.

And it's 3 away games, 2 home games for Wales. Wish I could give you my predictions but seriously, how on Earth does one predict the result for France vs Wales ?!!...impossible. A freak North try like last time (not that this was the difference maker, at all), France turn all shaky, run after the score the entire match, score an amazing try in the second but it's not enough in yet another immensely disappointing PSA game and France look like they need to start from scratch all over again months from the WC, with no game plan or chemistry in sight.

Or: France in command. They seemed to have clicked and look like the side that beat Australia in Nov. again, what a turnaround from their game last week in Dublin. Their backs' individual class shines through as they score 3 superb tries, a couple off counters. They finally show up, up front and the maul is just dominant. Parra-Lopez, the halfback pairing we've been looking for this whole time ? France 28-17 Wales. France still in for the ***le race.

Front row: Hibbard - Jenkins - Sebin
Second row: Ball - Jones
Back row: Warburton - Faletau - Lydiate
Halfbacks: Webb - Biggar
Midfield: Davies - Roberts
Back three: Cuthbert - Halfpenny - North

Courtesy: le monde du rugby
wink.gif

The 1st XV I think will be largely predictable:

G Jenkins, R Hibbard, S Lee, AW Jones, J Ball, D Lydiate, S Warburton, T Faletau, R Webb, D Biggar, G North, J Roberts, J Davies, A Cuthbert, L Halfpenny.

However, the 'second choices' for each of these positions is a bit more interesting, and I'd be amazed if Gatland didn't play around with the lineup outside of the England and Ireland games. My personal second choices would be...

P James, K Owens, A Jones, L Charteris, A Coombs, J Turnbull, J Tipuric, J Navidi, G Davies, G Anscombe, L Williams, S Williams, A Beck, E Walker, D Evans.

Then there are the further wildcards - certainly a few names that could be thrown into the ring. Owen Williams, Rhys Priestland, James Hook, Mike Phillips, Gavin Henson, Cory Allen, Kristian Dacey, Elliot Dee, Scott Baldwin, Matthew Morgan to name just a few. Plenty of talent there that might struggle to find a place in the squad. Gatland has some real decisions to make and I don't envy him.

Key areas I think will be the 9, 10, 11 and 14. North and Cuthbert aren't exactly firing on all cylinders at the moment, and I like the combo of Liam Williams and Leigh Halfpenny on the same teamsheet, so who knows? Biggar and Webb are a given but I'd love to see Gareth Davies given a shot, partnered with Anscombe or Williams - maybe both at some point?

As for the ***le, my gut says Ireland but think Wales have a decent shot this year. The matches are to their advantage and Gatland seems to be slowly getting the team towards peak form. While they're bound to put the effort in though there doesn't seem to be a lot of pressure for Wales to win the competition - World Cup preparation is all-important and for that reason I think the only result that Gats will be focusing on is putting a marker down against England. Otherwise the tournament is as wide open as it's ever been - really looking forward to seeing Scotland make some real improvements this year - have a feeling they might cause an upset or two!

The 1st XV I think will be largely predictable:

G Jenkins, R Hibbard, S Lee, AW Jones, J Ball, D Lydiate, S Warburton, T Faletau, R Webb, D Biggar, G North, J Roberts, J Davies, A Cuthbert, L Halfpenny.

However, the 'second choices' for each of these positions is a bit more interesting, and I'd be amazed if Gatland didn't play around with the lineup outside of the England and Ireland games. My personal second choices would be...

P James, K Owens, A Jones, L Charteris, A Coombs, J Turnbull, J Tipuric, J Navidi, G Davies, G Anscombe, L Williams, S Williams, A Beck, E Walker, D Evans.

Then there are the further wildcards - certainly a few names that could be thrown into the ring. Owen Williams, Rhys Priestland, James Hook, Mike Phillips, Gavin Henson, Cory Allen, Kristian Dacey, Elliot Dee, Scott Baldwin, Matthew Morgan to name just a few. Plenty of talent there that might struggle to find a place in the squad. Gatland has some real decisions to make and I don't envy him.

Key areas I think will be the 9, 10, 11 and 14. North and Cuthbert aren't exactly firing on all cylinders at the moment, and I like the combo of Liam Williams and Leigh Halfpenny on the same teamsheet, so who knows? Biggar and Webb are a given but I'd love to see Gareth Davies given a shot, partnered with Anscombe or Williams - maybe both at some point?

As for the ***le, my gut says Ireland but think Wales have a decent shot this year. The matches are to their advantage and Gatland seems to be slowly getting the team towards peak form. While they're bound to put the effort in though there doesn't seem to be a lot of pressure for Wales to win the competition - World Cup preparation is all-important and for that reason I think the only result that Gats will be focusing on is putting a marker down against England. Otherwise the tournament is as wide open as it's ever been - really looking forward to seeing Scotland make some real improvements this year - have a feeling they might cause an upset or two!

I'd rule Morgan out, he's only recently come back off an ankle injury

I'd say Tyler Morgan played his way into the squad today. Rob Evans and Josh Navidi should eb the other outside picks, Anscombe will likely be selected, but I wouldn't pick him myself.

Soooo what's happening with te supposed Wales A fixture this month? Wasn't it part of the recent agreement that Wales A games would return in January 2015?

Since there's now about 2 weeks left of January, going to guess that there wont be one as nothing has been announced, as far as I know?

A Wales A game would be great to try a few options out - MojoPin's 2nd team wouldn't be a bad shout at all!

However, I'm guess that the English and French clubs wont release their players, so it'll be just the regional players. Bearing that in mine, I'd like to see a team like this:

1. Rob Evans 2. Elliott Dee 3. Adam Jones 4. Andrew Coombs 5. Macauley Cook 6. Josh Turnbull 7. Sam Lewis 8. Josh Navidi

9. Gareth Davies 10. Gareth Anscombe 11. Hallam Amos 12. Cory Allen 13. Tyler Morgan 14. Eli Walker 15. Dan Evans

16. Sam Hobbs 17. Kristian Dacey 18. Craig Mitchell 19. Ellis Jenkins 20. Nick Cudd 21. Rhodri Williams 22. Rhys Patchell 23. Jack Dixon/Hanno Dirksen/Ashley Beck

Pack is a bit light weight, mostly because there are very few WQ locks below the established internationals at the regions. Back row is brimming with young players playing out of their skin at the moment, especially Navidi.

Backline actually looks very dangerous, especially with Dan Evans, Morgan and Amos playing very well at the moment. Went for Allen at 12 as it's likely he wont start any of the big 6 Nations games, but a game like this could give him a shot to really stake a claim for at least a bench spot.

Fly half is an interesting one at the moment. I can see Anscombe being in the 6N squad, but cant see him ousting Biggar. An "A" team game would give him a decent run out though. If Owen Williams would happen to be available, I'd probably have him starting at 10 - not likely to happen though. I'd love to see Patchell in the mix somewhere, especially as he has just come back from injury.

I wouldn't be surprised if an A squad was announced along with the main squad for a fixture towards the end of the tournament.

A Game would be a waste of time. The clubs need the players more for their tournaments. A one-off A Games means nothing.

When is the squad announced?

Soooo what's happening with te supposed Wales A fixture this month? Wasn't it part of the recent agreement that Wales A games would return in January 2015?

Fly half is an interesting one at the moment. I can see Anscombe being in the 6N squad, but cant see him ousting Biggar. An "A" team game would give him a decent run out though. If Owen Williams would happen to be available, I'd probably have him starting at 10 - not likely to happen though. I'd love to see Patchell in the mix somewhere, especially as he has just come back from injury.

Ah I'd forgotten about the Wales A Team...that would be very interesting to see and definitely good for Welsh rugby, but the timing has got to be right or we'll be hurting the regions. The Probables vs Possibles format I also thought worked well prior to the SA tour, definitely brought a few names into the spotlight and I was disappointed not to see Gavin Henson and Owen Williams involved.

And fly half is definitely a very tough call - would love to see Owen Williams involved, he has so much potential. He's done very well at Tigers but could really use some international experience and some tough sessions in the Wales camp to iron out some of the kinks. Ultimately I think he has the potential to oust Biggar, and thankfully for him he has time on his side. Certainly by the next RWC in Japan he could be a very exciting prospect but I'd like to see him and Anscombe competing as Biggar's understudies for the time being. The debate about him playing in England is an interesting one too...personally think he's done the right thing by staying at Leicester and just hope that Gatland lets common sense prevail (as he has so often said himself) and gives the guy a shot.

Ah I'd forgotten about the Wales A Team...that would be very interesting to see and definitely good for Welsh rugby, but the timing has got to be right or we'll be hurting the regions. The Probables vs Possibles format I also thought worked well prior to the SA tour, definitely brought a few names into the spotlight and I was disappointed not to see Gavin Henson and Owen Williams involved.

How did last summer's game work well? It was a farce of a match.

Latest posts