• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

[2015 TRC] New Zealand v Argentina in Christchurch (17/07/2015)

Jesus poor halfback left to make a tackle on tameifuna 5 meters out. Looks like he didnt quite make it though.

- - - Updated - - -

What a try from the offload of Buckman. That Barbarians team is pretty stacked so its a fairly predictable result really.

Tom Taylor was solid. Nice last try for the Barbarians.

Yeah Tom Taylor as much as I reckon he's a waste of space in almost any team he plays in, wasnt terrible. Maybe his future is at 10 for the Saders?

He's off overseas, Saders are buggered next year!! I'm not complaining though!

Naholo is out of the World Cup.
Very unfortunate for him and feel sorry for him, he would have been a player to watch in the world cup.

A question to the All blacks fan's. You don't seem to like Dagg alot at fullback, would you consider Andrew Horrell for fullback ? I watched him play today for the NZ Barbarians vs The New Zealand Maori and thought he played really well today.

A lot of players in the Barbarians played well. Was impressed with Tom Taylor, looked steady and composed. The scrumhalf Mitchell Drummond out played TKB. A lot of players really stood out which is assuring for NZ rugby considering the top 40 odd players in the country in the All Blacks squad and the remaining battle it out in the rain in an entertaining match in not the best weather conditions.

As for Horrell at fullback, he is too slow. I don't think it is the dislike of Dagg, rather more the dislike of his selection when there are players playing better than him. With Naholo out, Jane spraining his ankle, NMS battling with a ****ling injury and Dagg's above average performance against the Pumas I think Dagg has cement his spot in the RWC squad.

Very unfortunate for him and feel sorry for him, he would have been a player to watch in the world cup.

A question to the All blacks fan's. You don't seem to like Dagg alot at fullback, would you consider Andrew Horrell for fullback ? I watched him play today for the NZ Barbarians vs The New Zealand Maori and thought he played really well today.

Horrell is okay but not AB's quality. We have Dagg, Ben Smith, Piutau, Jane and NMS who can all play fullback.

Damo McKenzie is very much a poor mans Barrett, he's now missed two tackles resulting in tries and he's very one dimensional and inconsistent, might be being a bit rough, but he's not improving on those areas, he was the same vs Fiji and for the Chiefs.

Seems a bit early to be ruling time of death on Damien McKenzie's career. He had a poor game defensively, this Super Rugby season he was tackling at 92%. In fact his defensive record was considerably better than Ben Smith's. The guy is 20 years old.

Don't be so reactionary.

I don't think Richie will be rested in any games. Maybe in some of the minnow fixtures in the RWC, but I'm doubting any RC games.

He needs 3 games to be the most capped player ever, which seems fitting that he will get that record as well, maybe the last Bledisloe he might get rested for, but can't see it been the next 2 games at all.

Damo McKenzie is very much a poor mans Barrett, he's now missed two tackles resulting in tries and he's very one dimensional and inconsistent, might be being a bit rough, but he's not improving on those areas, he was the same vs Fiji and for the Chiefs.

Still his first season, give him another and you may see a different player remembering he is only 20, I feel his decision making has improved slightly since the beginning of the year, but he still has a long way to go.

Horrell is okay but not AB's quality. We have Dagg, Ben Smith, Piutau, Jane and NMS who can all play fullback.

Agree completely, really solid super player but not AB material.

Yeah Tom Taylor as much as I reckon he's a waste of space in almost any team he plays in, wasn't terrible. Maybe his future is at 10 for the Saders?

He's going overseas.

I dont know why people continue to underrate Taylor.

I think he's a huge loss to NZ rugby, he could have been the crusaders starter 10 next season which I believe would see him playing more tests. That one test he was called in to start at 10 as emergency cover was an absolutely vintage performance. While he doesn't have the attacking game of Barrett or Cruden he's absolutely solid, and I think has the kind of game well suited to WC finals and big game rugby. And he's arguably the best goal kicker in NZ.

- - - Updated - - -

Agree completely, really solid super player but not AB material.

I dont agree, while I dont think he's going to get a call up anytime soon I see Horrell as someone who if needed would not let the AB's down, he would be a smart selection.

Every team needs players that have the full set of skills, High work rate, make the right decisions and hardly ever make mistakes.

I look at the Blues backline, you probably wouldn't select Horrell over any single player in the blues backline. But The Blues really need someone like Horrell, He's the kind of player you just have to make room for. And the blues are crap because they dont really have anyone like Horrell.

Damien McKenzie had a rough game but I dont think it should reflect on him too much, how often in games are 15's expected to make try saving tackles when the frontline fails? It is part of their game but it only actually happens once or twice in most games. This game was unusual in that way. he missed a couple of bad ones, he did make that superb effort when Moala looked dead set to score. He's actually defended bloody well for the chiefs this year.

Moala was fricken huge this baba's game. an effort like that will surely have the All Black selectors scratching their heads. With Naholo out and Jane injured again, Moala seems like a good option.

Baba's pack was hugely impressive, considering they did not have as much time together as the MAB's

Last edited:
on the all black game.

MOTM for me was TJP, the backs and SBW in particular were superb but it all started with perenara's fast and accurate delivery. If anyone ever questions why I always bag on Andy Elis just watch that game again. Elis simply cant distribute anywhere near that level, not even close and it holds the whole backline back.

I'm actually feeling a bit more relaxed about Aaron Smith now. Smith has been the most irriplacible player for the AB's the last couple of seasons and we've not had a clear backup option that could do the job.

Naholo out of the WC due to injury actually really sucks. we really need someone to fill that 14 spot and he came along at the perfect time.

I think what this will mean is that Dagg will get more chances to prove & improve and unfortunately the best 15 in the world will probably be asked to play 14 again....

Dagg had a good first half, kinda went missing in the 2nd. He was ok, he's always been capable of playing ok. Ok shouldn't be good enough to keep Ben Smith from being our starting 15 though.

What I am actually all for right now is Giving Ben Smith rest... Dagg spent a lot of time injured this season and needs gametime. Ben Smith has hardly missed any games the last few seasons and had another huge workload this year. I'd be quite happy to give him another week rest.

This season really comes down to 4-5 games at the end which we simply have to win the last pool game and the finals... We will make it through the pool but we wil want to play our best team in the final pool games and play them through the finals. I think its important to have our key experienced guys well rested before that do or die string of games.

Seriously not trying to be controversial but, in view of the fact that the ABs are seriously in a league of their own, do not their supporters not get bored?

One thing about almost every other country playing Test match rugby there is the reasonable doubt as to whether or not they will win! This is surely missing when the ABs play?

I am not sure that my attention span would warrant my supporting such an indomitable force match after match after match!!

Hi Tony,

In answer to your question; NO I don't.

BUT we do lose games each year (OK, recently we have been better than previous years, but we're still not indomitable)
And also, RWC has shown us NZers that it only takes one cock-up and it's 4 more years until the next opportunity. So, I've stopped taking anything for granted when it comes to the ABs (and especially the RWC)

I get bored sometimes, never during the World Cup because there is something riding on it but the rugby championship can get a bit tedious

I prefer watching Otago/highlanders/Dunedin rfc generally as a win is a lot more rare

As I say, rwc definitely exciting but wouldn't mind if rugby champ was every few years or something, more like the euros (football)

I've said before one way to add some excitement for me would be for everyone to have to qualify for the World Cup, then we'd have to go and play Samoa and Fiji etc at least every four years

Latest posts