• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

[2015 TRC] New Zealand v Argentina in Christchurch (17/07/2015)

What the hell!!! Is this a NZ curse? Oh for Gods sake. I can't believe that.. What a loss. Looks like Ben WILL be wing and Dagg FB. F**K!!!

I'm so gutted, this has ruined my morning... I'm hoping Skudder can step up. Piutau can still be a big wing option leaving Ben at 15.. What's Janes fitness like?

That's a shame, he looked pretty good at times. Definitely a player who can cement a spot next year on.

The AB 31 man squad to travel to SA. No SBW and Dan Carter.

Hookers: Dane Coles, Keven Mealamu and Codie Taylor
Props: Wyatt Crockett, Ben Franks, Owen Franks, Nepo Laulala and Tony Woodcock
Locks: James Broadhurst, Brodie Retallick, Luke Romano and Samuel Whitelock
Loose forwards: Jerome Kaino, Richie McCaw, Liam Messam, Kieran Read and Victor Vito
Halfbacks: Andy Ellis, TJ Perenara and Aaron Smith
First five-eighths: Beauden Barrett, Colin Slade and Lima Sopoaga
Midfielders: Ryan Crotty, Malakai Fekitoa, Ma'a Nonu and Conrad Smith
Outside backs: Israel Dagg, Charles Piutau, Julian Savea and Ben Smith

In my opinion, this is pretty close to the 31 man squad going to RWC bar obviously Carter for Sapoaga. SBW for either Crotty or Fekitoa. Andy Ellis or TKB is a close call as well. Is NMS injured? I am surprised he is not in the tour party.
Tonights NZ Maori vs Barbarians game will be good to watch. Lets see how the likes of Corey Jane and TKB go.

Looks like Nepo Laulala is really taking his chances. He was good again against Argentina (was he even originally in the 41 man squad? I know Ellis wasn't so I have no idea why he is still here...).

I agree I really hope NMS steps up, doesn't look like he's even being given a shot at the moment though - after the South African game there will only be two more games against Australia. Provided he's selected for both (and I doubt it seeing as I'd imagine Jane will get another crack) I'm not convinced Hansen would drop any of the longer serving players for NMS no matter how he does after two games (and it's very possible for some quiet games on the right wing..).

Last edited:
Yeah Skudder is out off the frame, unless there's further injuries and the injury to Naholo has all but confirmed Dagg & Piutau.

Cory Jane's still in the mix as far as replacement wingers for Naholo. It'll make it more compelling to see how he performs for the Baabaas team today against the the NZ Maori.

"It is an important game for Barbarians wing Cory Jane, who won All Blacks squad inclusion but needs to prove his form and fitness after missing several games at the end of the Hurricanes' campaign because of a hamstring strain." (copied from an article on the net)

Tawera Kerr-Barlow is playing as well which will be interesting to see how he performs.

Just realised Sam Cane is not going to South Africa. Would have been good to have him start at 7 in South Africa and McCaw rested/benched. I think the coaches have gone for the physicality rather than mobility in the back row selection.

I don't think Richie will be rested in any games. Maybe in some of the minnow fixtures in the RWC, but I'm doubting any RC games.

If that's the case then will they take Sam Cane to RWC? Surely Messam/Vito can cover for McCaw against the minnows.

Naholo going down really sucks he was one of only two or three with a real chance of making their way to the top 15 for the WC. He had the potential to be our most dangerous player as well.

I guess Jane or Piutau will have to do I prefer Jane in the big games. Please god not Smith at 14.....

Sounds like Hansen said he could come back in as an outside back replacement but obviously thats unlikely. Recovery mid October.

Last edited:

Loose forwards: Jerome Kaino, Richie McCaw, Liam Messam, Kieran Read and Victor Vito

Chances of DC getting injure will be very high for the BOKS game. 2 reasons why he is not going. One he gets injure easily now and the other reason is deciding to bring Slade or Lima for the WC). In the WC, DC will play in the easy games (For the first round). In the QF, he will play the minimum time in the game. Once the Management team feel they have the lead good enough to win the game. He be sub out. That's for sure!!!

If AC was not injured. The situation will be different. DC kicking was terrible in the Argentina game!! Based on his fitness and kicking now, personally I feel he is not better than Slade or Lima. I am very sure the SF or Final game will be very intense and rough and not sure he can even survive 20 minutes of the game!

Last edited:
Bugger!!! Broken leg. Really disappointed. Poor guy.

Man that sucks, Jane will be happy.

In my opinion, this is pretty close to the 31 man squad going to RWC bar obviously Carter for Sapoaga. SBW for either Crotty or Fekitoa. Andy Ellis or TKB is a close call as well. Is NMS injured? I am surprised he is not in the tour party.
Tonights NZ Maori vs Barbarians game will be good to watch. Lets see how the likes of Corey Jane and TKB go.

Also maybe Elliot for Taylor at hooker and Cane for Vito.

I think TKB could go over Ellis, however given the little amount of game time a 3rd HB might get they might decide that Ellis has already had a couple of games in the env it might be easier it take Ellis, as TKB might not have had enough time on the field with the team.

SBW in for Crotty most prob as well.

Yeah Skudder is out off the frame, unless there's further injuries and the injury to Naholo has all but confirmed Dagg & Piutau.

Shame given his season, there is always next year for the guy.

If that's the case then will they take Sam Cane to RWC? Surely Messam/Vito can cover for McCaw against the minnows.

I hope so, we have McCaw and Messam who can cover 8, so taking 2 open sides is good idea.

NZ babas vs Maori's. The Babas look way better so far.

A few big names are being found out in this Maori team imo. The Mckenzie boys are nowhere near international level.

Brad Shields has AB six written all over him (in a year or two).

Osbourne has to be selected as a backup to Savea. Savea needs someone to keep him honest as he has a tendency to have amazing games one week then go missing the next three.
Id be dropping Dagg to make room for him there is simply no need for the amount of fullback cover we have. We must have like 6 or 7 players in the squad that can play fullback its a waste.

Piutau played fine last night but he doesnt offer the penetration we expect out of a number 11 winger.

Last edited:
Osbournes awesome, I haven't seen a more consistent outside back in ages other than Ben Smith, 2 intelligent players. I hope Hansen looks at him.

Maori came right towards the end of the half, they seem to play better in the 2nd half, they're missing Hohneck as well. Marty McKenzie is rubbish. Otere Black would be much better option.

I really think Moala is putting up his hand as Nonu's real replacement post the WC.

- - - Updated - - -

Janes done. To many injuries man. (its only a ankle strain apparently and he played well enough) But if he's out Osbourne should come into the squad at some stage.

Last edited:
Damo McKenzie is very much a poor mans Barrett, he's now missed two tackles resulting in tries and he's very one dimensional and inconsistent, might be being a bit rough, but he's not improving on those areas, he was the same vs Fiji and for the Chiefs.

Janes finished, I'm sad for him, but we need to move on. Waste of a player in a only 13 man backline for the 31 squad.

- - - Updated - - -

And as I say that, he makes a try saving tackle on Moala. Haha.

Last edited:

Latest posts