• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

[2017 Rugby Championship] Round 1: Australia v New Zealand (19/08/2017)

If the Aussies are finally going to narrow the gap, this is their big chance. The AB's are based on salaries, not form or ability. How many "Canes are in the starting XV - one, yet they are the only team who beat the Crusaders all year! We have the usual heap of guys from Auckland and Waikato (surprise, surprise) plus the guys Hansen inherited from Father Henry such as the two Otago Smiths and the most overpaid athlete in the world, SBW. Throw in Squires instead of playing both Ardea and Cane, bring in McKenzie who is great against lousy defence but did nothing against the stronger Super rugby teams, and cross your fingers.

Henry lost us two unloseable world cups and got knighted for it. Hansen somehow managed to draw a Lions series we should have won easily but will no doubt be knighted one day anyway. This Aussie team is as weak as any I have seen, and I live in Aussie and watch these guys week to week.
Get Perenara and Ardea on the field for at least 40 minutes and I favour the AB's - if he sticks to his pattern I favour the Wallabies. No Laumape off the bench, so we get stuck with a SBW who has the lowest try scoring record in AB history for a player in his position, misses more tackles against the same criteria, and spends a lot of time on the field AWOL.
That may well be the biggest load of crap I've ever read on here.

I doubt the AB wingers will play any part in this test. The Aussies have a far faster backline and I can't see which AB midfielder is going to break the line. Looks like very even set-pieces and the same with loosies fighting for turnovers. Us kiwis tend to rely upon some sort of magic play, but this AB team is far from the best NZ can provide and that could be the difference - arrogance.

I doubt the AB wingers will play any part in this test. The Aussies have a far faster backline and I can't see which AB midfielder is going to break the line. Looks like very even set-pieces and the same with loosies fighting for turnovers. Us kiwis tend to rely upon some sort of magic play, but this AB team is far from the best NZ can provide and that could be the difference - arrogance.

And thanks Caitlyn for your compliment. For me to talk more crap then you is almost unbelievable but you are a young guy who obviously sticks to "AB management doctrination", states facts which aren't and don't know who you are insulting!

That may well be the biggest load of crap I've ever read on here.

Thats a big call....but i will run with it! ( I find the "ignore" function useful in keeping trolls under bridges, out of sight.)

Its pretty insulting to the Lions to suggest it was a series that the AB's should have won easily, the Lions were a quality side, well coached and they stuck to a game plan.

And thanks Caitlyn for your compliment. For me to talk more crap then you is almost unbelievable
Is that a joke? You've talked more crap in 2 posts than I have 600.
but you are a young guy who obviously sticks to "AB management doctrination"
What the hell is "AB management doctrination"? Do you mean indoctrination?
states facts which aren't
Such as? The only false facts I've seen in this thread have come from you... actually you appear a chronic stater of false facts...
The AB's are based on salaries, not form or ability.
False fact 1.
they are the only team who beat the Crusaders all year
False fact 2.
Hansen inherited from Father Henry such as the two Otago Smiths
False fact 3.
McKenzie who is great against lousy defence but did nothing against the stronger Super rugby teams
I guess this could be considered an opinion, but it is so obviously wrong.
Henry lost us two unloseable world cups and got knighted for it.
False fact 4.
SBW who has the lowest try scoring record in AB history
False fact 5.

and don't know who you are insulting!
Oh I think I have some idea... His name is Red Enigma, he has a raging hard on for the Hurricanes, and he's probably never watched a full game of rugby in his life.

I'm hearing from officials that if the Wallabies lose by 50pts or more, the Wallabies will from then on be known as the Lollabies.

You heard it here first.

Exactly. I know Warren well, very well, and told the whole world the only way the AB's could lose the series was from lousy selections and even worse coaching. I have publically praised the Lions for out-thinking the AB management staff - and they did that easily. What makes anyone think the Aussies can't do the same?

Guess we are getting near the point where folk produce their cv's!

Guess what - just had a phone call from NZ from a mate who knows rugby facts better than anyone alive. As with me, he is in his seventies. He agreed that each of the statements I made and which Caitlyn denied was true. I'm a lawyer, so Caitlyn go prove me wrong. I make this bet - I have played more hours of rugby on the field than you have played and watched! You guys make me laugh.

Guess what - just had a phone call from NZ from a mate who knows rugby facts better than anyone alive. As with me, he is in his seventies. He agreed that each of the statements I made and which Caitlyn denied was true. I'm a lawyer, so Caitlyn go prove me wrong. I make this bet - I have played more hours of rugby on the field than you have played and watched! You guys make me laugh.
I could quite easily disprove all of your 'true' statements... in fact probably most people on here could... but I don't feel right shouting down a disillusioned senior and I don't want to ruin this thread, so I'll just end this argument here.

Last edited:
Agreed. Waste of time arguing with pretenders. You fool this forum but not a real deal rugby guy.
I think Caitlyn having the second most likes of any member on the forum speaks for itself really; he's always insightful and debates and considers other view points rather than getting into arguments and thinking he's more knowledgable and superior than others simply because you're older. So far all I've seen you do is spew false facts and throw around insults that are entirely untrue. It feels weird to say this to a man of your age but please, grow up.

Last edited:
I think Caitlyn having the second most likes of any member on the forum speaks for itself really

Fake news.

That's just AB Managementation Doctoring.

So back to the game, what's Aus's best chance of sneaking a win? I'm finding it hard to see one, either need their pack to put in an unbelievably good performance, or the backs need to thrive on poor quality ball. NZ's traditional first game rustiness might give either of those a sniff of happening, but I'd say unlikely especially given how recently they played the lions they shouldn't be too rusty.

The wobblies actually have a decent backline. They will get romped up front however. Barrett needs to find some form. Smith needs to not be affected by the controversy like he was last year. Part of me wants an Aussie win for the sake of rugby. The rest of me can't wait for another smashing. ABs by 30.

I cant believe how stupid players are sometimes, if you cheat on and lie to your wife the odds are pretty high you will get caught out for the trash you are. When you are a high profile, pro-sportsperson is almost certain you will be exposed for your stupidity and dishonesty.

I remember the aussie comedians Roy & HG, talking about the transgressions of NRL players, and saying they should all be in prison, and just let out on Saturday arvo to play, then straight back to prison where they belonged!

Just because you are young, dum & full of cum doesnt give you the right to treat women like this. Hopefully the strong culture inherent in AB's rugby will make it clear this sort of behaviour is unacceptable and make sure there are consequences for poor behaviour.

ps Lets stop with the media blaming and lay the blame fair and square where it belongs. No bad behaviour, nothing to report. Whether its sportspeople, actors, musicians or politicians, the media in every country has always reported these sort of antics.

WR Rankings give the Wallabies a 14% chance.

NZ can take up to 0.43 RP off Aus (to 95.21 - still 1.36 RP short of the pre-Chicago 96.57), but another loss would cost the ABs the status they've held post-RWC-2015 as automatic favourites (though they'd still only be underdogs when facing England away)
Aus can win 0.71 from a draw (securing their #4 ranking out of SA's reach for another week), 1.71 from a win (placing them in 3rd, ahead of Ireland) and 2.57 from a 15+ win (to 87.20, where they'd be favourites in a home game vs England)

The other thing on the line here is NZ's unbeaten record vs Australian teams this year - Match 27

NZ to be ahead by 15 at 55', and by 31 at FT.
I wish I could predict that the AB's would get there without giving away too many penalties and no cards... But I'm pessimistic about that.

I put a lazy $50 on the Wobblies, at 7-1 the odds are attractive, Australia win every 2.7 games against the ABs in Bledisloes ( 95 wins to ABs, 35 to Wobblies). Admittedly the record is worse in recent years but basic probablilty tells me 7-1 is a little too focussed on recent history.

I still think the AB's more likely to win, but happy to pocket $350 if I am wrong!

Settled in to a kiwi owned Corp box in Sydney for the Bledisloe, now watching Supercars on TV with its kiwi dominance. Big weekend after the rugby - our Ferns are in action and so is NZ';s top sportsman by a mile, Scott Dixon in the Indy Series. Have left forum disputes way behind - i'm watching real rugby, as I do every weekend, and the AB's as I have done all over the world for the last thirty or so years. Only teams I've watched more on the sideline is Wellington, followed by the hurricanes who just head off the AB's.

The kiwis here - most of whom live in Aussie - have mixed feelings about this result. Obviously they predict an AB win but we are all guys who bet big on sport, hence our sponsorship, and it would take six successive AB wins to offset the loss if we back the Wallabies. So my friends, I'll take the odds and punt on the fast wallaby backline, weakness of the kiwi back three under a very high ball, and bad AB coaching to bring Aussie a win. It will only take one NZ loss in the rest of the championship to recover my loss if the AB's surprise me.

No idea, but logic presumes he will. If the moment doesn't get to him, he could well be the match-winner, through skill as much as kicking goals. However that is a question only answered on the field.

lol my tablet is being confiscated so you are blessed with my absence!

Latest posts