• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

[2018 Rugby Championship] - South Africa Squad

I just have a feeling that esterhuizen will make a big statement this Championship ! Might be a bias opinion i guess

Rassie announced his squad for the Australasian tour:

Forwards:

Schalk Brits (Hooker, Unattached, 11, 5 - 1t)
Pieter-Steph du Toit (Lock / loose forward, Western Province, 38, 20 - 4t)
Thomas du Toit (Prop, Sharks, 5, 0)
Eben Etzebeth (Lock, Western Province, 69, 15 - 3t)
Steven Kitshoff (Prop, Western Province, 29, 5 - 1t)
Siya Kolisi (captain - Loose forward, Western Province, 33, 25 - 5t)
Francois Louw (Loose forward, Bath, 59, 45 - 9t)
Wilco Louw (Prop, Western Province, 8, 0)
Frans Malherbe (Prop, Western Province, 21, 0)
Malcolm Marx (Hooker, Golden Lions, 16, 15 - 3t)
Bongi Mbonambi (Hooker, Western Province, 18, 5 - 1t)
Franco Mostert (Lock, Gloucester, 22, 5 - 1t)
Tendai Mtawarira (Prop, Sharks, 103, 10 - 2t)
Sikhumbuzo Notshe (Loose forward, Western Province, 4, 0)
RG Snyman (Lock, Bulls/Honda Heat, 4, 0)
Marco van Staden (Loose forward, Blue Bulls, 1, 0)
Warren Whiteley (No 8, Golden Lions, 19, 15 - 3t)

Backs:

Lukhanyo Am (Centre, Sharks, 5, 5 - 1t)
Ross Cronjé (Scrumhalf, Golden Lions, 10, 10 - 2t)
Damian de Allende (Centre, Western Province, 30, 15 - 3t)
Faf de Klerk (Scrumhalf, Sale Sharks, 16 , 10 - 2t)
Aphiwe Dyantyi (Wing, Golden Lions, 5, 15 - 3t)
André Esterhuizen (Centre, Sharks/Sanix Blues, 4, 0)
Elton Jantjies (Flyhalf, Golden Lions, 26, 215 - 2t, 41c, 41p)
Cheslin Kolbe (Outside back, Toulouse, 0, 0)
Jesse Kriel (Centre, Blue Bulls, 32, 45 - 9t)
Willie le Roux (Fullback, Wasps, 46, 55 - 11t)
Makazole Mapimpi (Wing, Sharks, 3, 15 - 3t)
Embrose Papier (Scrumhalf, Blue Bulls, 3, 0)
Handré Pollard (Flyhalf, Blue Bulls, 31, 254 - 3t, 46c, 46p, 3d)
Damian Willemse (Flyhalf, Western Province, 2, 0)

The 6 additions are:
Cheslin Kolbe
Schalk Brits
Sikhumbuzo Notshe
Ross Cronje
Jesse Kriel
Damian De Allende

So no release for Thor to play NZ?

As far as I know, he'll join the squad in NZ, but won't feature in the Australia game. So I guess he's not part of the touring squad as such. He'll also join them from Japan, while these guys must all be in SA this weekend for training before they fly out.

As far as I know, he'll join the squad in NZ, but won't feature in the Australia game. So I guess he's not part of the touring squad as such. He'll also join them from Japan, while these guys must all be in SA this weekend for training before they fly out.

Good to hear and be good if he does. Whitely is not in the same class as Vermeulen.

Cheslin Kolbe joins the squad, presumably to replace the injured Mampimpi, personally I'd have Leyds as at least he has a little experience in the jersey, but apparently Cheslin has been tearing it up in France.
Might as well cap the guy before they steal him.

I don't really know how to respond to this article. We all know what the issues are, but what is Rassie supposed to do, results are one of the things we need to get in order to prove that we are on the right track, even with the problems at hand.

But Rassie is not so much chopping anf changing as the article suggests, in fact he kept the team relatively the same as the previous week against the same opposition. I think it was more an issue of tactics than anything else.

But we all know that there is a bigger picture here, and that has been the idea of building a decent squad for the World Cup, along with plans of sustaining a core group until 2023.

I get what Venter is saying, but it's not a new thing or a revelation of some sort, he's trying to preach to the choir but we've all been singing the same tune over and over.

Rassie announced his squad for the Australasian tour:

Forwards:

Schalk Brits (Hooker, Unattached, 11, 5 - 1t)
Pieter-Steph du Toit (Lock / loose forward, Western Province, 38, 20 - 4t)
Thomas du Toit (Prop, Sharks, 5, 0)
Eben Etzebeth (Lock, Western Province, 69, 15 - 3t)
Steven Kitshoff (Prop, Western Province, 29, 5 - 1t)
Siya Kolisi (captain - Loose forward, Western Province, 33, 25 - 5t)
Francois Louw (Loose forward, Bath, 59, 45 - 9t)
Wilco Louw (Prop, Western Province, 8, 0)
Frans Malherbe (Prop, Western Province, 21, 0)
Malcolm Marx (Hooker, Golden Lions, 16, 15 - 3t)
Bongi Mbonambi (Hooker, Western Province, 18, 5 - 1t)
Franco Mostert (Lock, Gloucester, 22, 5 - 1t)
Tendai Mtawarira (Prop, Sharks, 103, 10 - 2t)
Sikhumbuzo Notshe (Loose forward, Western Province, 4, 0)
RG Snyman (Lock, Bulls/Honda Heat, 4, 0)
Marco van Staden (Loose forward, Blue Bulls, 1, 0)
Warren Whiteley (No 8, Golden Lions, 19, 15 - 3t)

Backs:

Lukhanyo Am (Centre, Sharks, 5, 5 - 1t)
Ross Cronjé (Scrumhalf, Golden Lions, 10, 10 - 2t)
Damian de Allende (Centre, Western Province, 30, 15 - 3t)
Faf de Klerk (Scrumhalf, Sale Sharks, 16 , 10 - 2t)
Aphiwe Dyantyi (Wing, Golden Lions, 5, 15 - 3t)
André Esterhuizen (Centre, Sharks/Sanix Blues, 4, 0)
Elton Jantjies (Flyhalf, Golden Lions, 26, 215 - 2t, 41c, 41p)
Cheslin Kolbe (Outside back, Toulouse, 0, 0)
Jesse Kriel (Centre, Blue Bulls, 32, 45 - 9t)
Willie le Roux (Fullback, Wasps, 46, 55 - 11t)
Makazole Mapimpi (Wing, Sharks, 3, 15 - 3t)
Embrose Papier (Scrumhalf, Blue Bulls, 3, 0)
Handré Pollard (Flyhalf, Blue Bulls, 31, 254 - 3t, 46c, 46p, 3d)
Damian Willemse (Flyhalf, Western Province, 2, 0)

The 6 additions are:
Cheslin Kolbe
Schalk Brits
Sikhumbuzo Notshe
Ross Cronje
Jesse Kriel
Damian De Allende

Indications are high that Rassie will go with an experienced team this weekend to face the Aussies. The backline in particular needing that boost imo and it's high time.

Form aside, the prospect of having a Pollard, DDA, Kriel & Willie starting together does sound almost unreal considering they were Meyer's starters in the RWC semi's that lost by 3 points against the ABs

Add in Mtawarira, Malherbe, Etzebeth, PSdT & Louw and you will have a core group of players who have actually been around since the last World Cup and that a team can be built around. Not to mention Duane's availability.

Indications are high that Rassie will go with an experienced team this weekend to face the Aussies. The backline in particular needing that boost imo and it's high time.

Form aside, the prospect of having a Pollard, DDA, Kriel & Willie starting together does sound almost unreal considering they were Meyer's starters in the RWC semi's that lost by 3 points against the ABs

Add in Mtawarira, Malherbe, Etzebeth, PSdT & Louw and you will have a core group of players who have actually been around since the last World Cup and that a team can be built around. Not to mention Duane's availability.

I do think that Esterhuizen will get another run. Interesting to note that Beale and Koroibete missed a third of all of Australia's tackles the past 2 games, so I think Beale's channel will be a target and a big guy like Esterhuizen will be ideal to exploit it.

But getting back to your point, about the team of HM during the world cup semi, HM had the right plan in picking both experience and youth, even though he sometimes didn't get it 100% right, but this core group are young enough to do 2 World Cups (well at least most of them).

But getting back to your point, about the team of HM during the world cup semi, HM had the right plan in picking both experience and youth, even though he sometimes didn't get it 100% right, but this core group are young enough to do 2 World Cups (well at least most of them).

And now those considered youth at that time are the experienced players of the current group. This actually serves to prove an indictment on our coaching structures on a national level - a conversation to be had which links into Venter's article - if the management still aren't getting it right with a proven class of international caliber players, from a results and performance point of view.

I do think that Esterhuizen will get another run. Interesting to note that Beale and Koroibete missed a third of all of Australia's tackles the past 2 games, so I think Beale's channel will be a target and a big guy like Esterhuizen will be ideal to exploit it.

Esterhuizen may be slightly bulkier, but DDA is arguably the more creative player of the two and I would rather opt for him instead. That and I don't like the idea of choosing a guy specifically to employ a battering ram approach which quite frankly is just too predictable. You do it once, it gains a few yards, but after that the loosies start sacking you almost imminently on the charge.

More importantly, the defensive showing by our backs have left much to be desired for so far this season. Both the English & Argies found it too easy to exploit us in the wider channels and scoring simple tries. One would've thought that by playing a SR combination in Esterhuizen & Am would've brought more organisation and structure, but as we know that hasn't come off.

It's enough that 2 of the back 3 (wingers) are in their debut season, was already too much of an ask for the centres to be too. Bring on the experience. We can take the Wallabies.

I don't really know how to respond to this article. We all know what the issues are, but what is Rassie supposed to do, results are one of the things we need to get in order to prove that we are on the right track, even with the problems at hand.

But Rassie is not so much chopping anf changing as the article suggests, in fact he kept the team relatively the same as the previous week against the same opposition. I think it was more an issue of tactics than anything else.

But we all know that there is a bigger picture here, and that has been the idea of building a decent squad for the World Cup, along with plans of sustaining a core group until 2023.

I get what Venter is saying, but it's not a new thing or a revelation of some sort, he's trying to preach to the choir but we've all been singing the same tune over and over.

More like preaching to a NZ audience as published on Stuff and explaining why their biggest rivals aren't going to get better anytime soon to compete with the ABs. I think Bok fans like yourself know the problems already facing being faced by Rassie and any future Bok coach.

Hoping the post-mortem after the ABs result don't bring lots of injuries. The backline took a bit of a hit as both starting centres was off, as well as the likes of the deputizing wingers in Mampimpi and Nkosi being out injured.

Pollard as a starter should only be at 10 - his prowess displayed at 12 on Saturday should only be used if a cameo is needed. His defensive stature in particular pegs him miles ahead of Jantjies.

If DdA & Am are out injured, I wouldn't be too worried if Esterhuizen gets a crack at 12 with Pollard & Kriel either side of him. Although that would mean an opening on the wing for a totally new person. Dillyn Lleyds and Sergeal Peterson the only 2 who springs to mind, or even Ruan Combrinck?

As for the forwards, I don't think any of them got hit with anything serious. Absolute gladiators all of them !

Don't forget Flouw and Willie le Roux are off so we will need replacements for them.

At 15 in particular I can think of a ton of possible options (Damian Willemse/Kolbe/Leyds/Sp Marais/Coetzee/Bosch/F Steyn (gross)/ J Kriel) but none stand out as the obvious choice.

Gun to my head I'd like Bosch or Leyds and could live with Coetzee.

Don't forget Flouw and Willie le Roux are off so we will need replacements for them.

At 15 in particular I can think of a ton of possible options (Damian Willemse/Kolbe/Leyds/Sp Marais/Coetzee/Bosch/F Steyn (gross)/ J Kriel) but none stand out as the obvious choice.

Gun to my head I'd like Bosch or Leyds and could live with Coetzee.

Flouw and Willie have been released as the RC have a bye week. But the chance is that they will reunite with the team next week when Rassie names his squad for the last 2 matches.

Rassie released a total of 10 players to play this weekend Currie Cup and NH games for their clubs, and I guess to make sure they stay match fit as some of them didn't play as much the past few weeks.

I have a suspicion that should Willie not return, that we might get another NH based player to join the squad...

Preliminary Bok squad:

Forwards

Pieter-Steph du Toit, Eben Etzebeth, Steven Kitshoff, Siya Kolisi (captain), Frans Malherbe, Malcolm Marx, Franco Mostert, Tendai Mtawarira, RG Snyman, Warren Whiteley

Backs

Faf de Klerk, Aphiwe Dyantyi, André Esterhuizen, Elton Jantjies, Cheslin Kolbe, Jesse Kriel, Handré Pollard

It was also confirmed that Damian De Allende (centre), Lukhanyo Am (centre) and Makazole Mapimpi (wing) will not feature in the two home Tests after they were ruled out due to injury.

Furthermore, Willie le Roux (fullback) and Francois Louw (loose forward) have returned to their English clubs after the pair featured in the Springboks' four tournament matches to date. They will notfeature in the two home Tests.

https://www.sport24.co.za/Rugby/RugbyChampionship/bok-lose-key-players-for-home-tests-20180920

So the question is, who will Rassie call up in place of the unavailable/injured?

Could there be a return of the likes of Pat Lambie, Frans Steyn & Marcel Coetzee?

I guess we will have to wait until next week...

Let's add Warrick Gelant & Jan Serfontein to this list of unavailable/injured while we're at it.

Preliminary Bok squad:

Forwards

Pieter-Steph du Toit, Eben Etzebeth, Steven Kitshoff, Siya Kolisi (captain), Frans Malherbe, Malcolm Marx, Franco Mostert, Tendai Mtawarira, RG Snyman, Warren Whiteley

Backs

Faf de Klerk, Aphiwe Dyantyi, André Esterhuizen, Elton Jantjies, Cheslin Kolbe, Jesse Kriel, Handré Pollard

https://www.sport24.co.za/Rugby/RugbyChampionship/bok-lose-key-players-for-home-tests-20180920

So the question is, who will Rassie call up in place of the unavailable/injured?

Could there be a return of the likes of Pat Lambie, Frans Steyn & Marcel Coetzee?

I guess we will have to wait until next week...

I would prefer an experienced guy at the back, with Willie out. Frans Steyn would be preferable for me - he can slot in at centre and fullback.

The Springbok squad for the Rugby Championship home leg against the Wallabies and All Blacks (in alphabetical order - name and surname, position, franchise/club, Test caps and points):

Forwards (16):
Schalk Brits (Hooker, Unattached), 11, 5 - 1t
Pieter-Steph du Toit (Lock/ loose forward, Western Province), 40, 20 - 4t
Eben Etzebeth (Lock, Western Province), 71, 15 - 3t
Steven Kitshoff (Prop, Western Province), 31, 5 - 1t
Vincent Koch (Prop, Saracens, England), 9, 0
Siya Kolisi (Captain, Flank, Western Province), 35, 25 - 5t
Wilco Louw (Prop, Western Province), 10, 0
Frans Malherbe (Prop, Western Province), 23, 0
Malcolm Marx (Hooker, Lions), 18, 20 - 4t
Bongi Mbonambi (Hooker, Western Province), 20, 10 - 2t
Franco Mostert (Lock, Golden Lions), 24, 5 - 1t