• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

[2018 Super Rugby] Round 7: Lions vs. Crusaders (01/04/2018)

TRF_heineken

RIP #J9
Staff member
TRF Legend
Country Flag
South Africa
Club or Nation
South Africa
2hUozcT.jpg

D5pB5Yt.gif
Versus%20Currie%20Cup.png
yNiq3rv.png

Venue: Emirates Airlines Park

Time: 14:30 CAT (SA, GMT+2)

Can the Lions still be considered favourites at home against the Crusaders?

Can the Lions still be considered favourites at home against the Crusaders?
I'd say no, based on their loss to the Blues and more importantly their loss to the Jaguares I think it's fair to say the Lions have dropped a tier. In any case were they ever? They did lose at home to the Crusaders last year.

Also travelling back from Argentina this week means that they won't get much of a travel advantage against the Saders.

If they counldn't beat the Blues at home the Crusaders will likely be too much. Not sure if the Lions are just weaker or their injuries are taking a toll. Up to them to put up a performance this week.

I'd say no until they employ a proper defensive coach again.
Their top winger injury not helping either

If they counldn't beat the Blues at home the Crusaders will likely be too much.
agree. despite the saders losing to the hiLanders and canes theyre still the crusaders and you'd have to back them to take it out again this season.

Shouldn't be a question really, the betting lines say it all. I still believe that Lions will right the ship, but there has to be concerns that Ackermann's midas touch can't be replaced. Feel bad for Dyantyi, he's been so good to watch.

based on their loss to the Blues and more importantly their loss to the Jaguares
To be fair, the Lions dominated most fo the game against the blues. The lost concentration or something during a few key moments and got punished severely and (imo) disproportionately for that.
Talent is clearly there, it's as if focus what's lacking.

According to Jaco anything and everything that goes wrong in a scrum must result in a penalty for the lions. Not just this game

When was the last time the saders didnt score a single point in a half?

A bit strange for the Lions to ship 30+ to the Sunwolves and Blues, 49 to the Jaguares and then only 14 to the Crusaders (who admittedly aren't explosive offensively). It is strangely difficult to predict Super Rugby this year, which is probably a good thing.

A bit strange for the Lions to ship 30+ to the Sunwolves and Blues, 49 to the Jaguares and then only 14 to the Crusaders (who admittedly aren't explosive offensively). It is strangely difficult to predict Super Rugby this year, which is probably a good thing.
Was thinking the same thing, we're 6 rounds in (discounting the first Saffer only round) and it doesn't seem like the teams have settled into tiers yet.
Sharks beating Blues was one example after getting smashed by the Rebels the previous week.

I think it's fair to say the Canes are one of the if not the top team, and that the non-Blues NZ franchises are up there, but for the rest of the teams - it's still very much a mystery.

What's up with the small crowd at Ellis Park?

Only 8,000 for this match?

That's what you get for hosting a game on Easter Sunday.
People leave Joburg on long weekends, no one goes there for a break

With regards to the Lions coach:

I think that it is important to note that the Lions have lost two close matches to NZ opposition (which they didn't play at all last year) and a game away to the Jaguares (where I think they have never one). Yes, it appears that the Lions aren't quite as good but to blame/credit head coaching alone is not the right cause in my view.

Anyway, it all sets up the drama for the Stormers match next week quite well I think.