• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

2021 British & Irish Lions Squad

Well his last test was in a Semi-final of a World Cup against NZ in 2015. Plus he did win the World Cup, Tri-Nations, B&I Lions tour, Currie Cup, and Super Rugby trophy.

He was also feared by all teams for his reading of line-outs and stealing of opposition ball.

He is in the GOAT category when it comes to locks...

AWJ - not so much.

And we are not trembling in our boots that he's coming with the Lions....
Again, I'm not debating any of this at all. I personally don't care. I think they are/were both world class players and if you want to say Matfield is the GOAT then cool.

The point was, seeing as they weren't singling out any of AWJ's weaknesses/perceived weaknesses and were just focussing on his age, that it's a bit weird considering one of the greatest SA locks ever was Matfield and he played well into his late 30s. So clearly they don't have an issue with age but more ability (and I guess you'd say Matfield is so good he's the exception which is fine) and if that is so then why just say how old is. Why not say he's slow or weak or clumsy or whatever. Why the fixation on his age.

I think it's because that sort of roast humour plays better than a proper analysis of AWJ's strengths and weaknesses so they go for the "he's an old ****" and leave it there. Similar to the Hamish Watson "he's a hobbit" critique. Size and age are easy I guess.

Again, I'm not debating any of this at all. I personally don't care. I think they are/were both world class players and if you want to say Matfield is the GOAT then cool.

The point was, seeing as they weren't singling out any of AWJ's weaknesses/perceived weaknesses and were just focussing on his age, that it's a bit weird considering one of the greatest SA locks ever was Matfield and he played well into his late 30s. So clearly they don't have an issue with age but more ability (and I guess you'd say Matfield is so good he's the exception which is fine) and if that is so then why just say how old is. Why not say he's slow or weak or clumsy or whatever. Why the fixation on his age.

I think it's because that sort of roast humour plays better than a proper analysis of AWJ's strengths and weaknesses so they go for the "he's an old ****" and leave it there. Similar to the Hamish Watson "he's a hobbit" critique. Size and age are easy I guess.

You are taking that video waaaaaayyyyy too personally. It was an attempt to rile people up - with great effect.

Age is not an issue. Schalk Brits was 38 years old at the World Cup in 2019 after he retired 3 times before that. Do you honestly think we care about a guy's age??

SA has had several players retire and only bring them back when they're around 33 - 36 years old for another go.

You are taking that video waaaaaayyyyy too personally. It was an attempt to rile people up - with great effect.

Age is not an issue. Schalk Brits was 38 years old at the World Cup in 2019 after he retired 3 times before that. Do you honestly think we care about a guy's age??

SA has had several players retire and only bring them back when they're around 33 - 36 years old for another go.
I'm not taking it personally at all. I pretty much wrote what you just said, it was a bit of a wind up. I actually quite like bollix like that to be honest. It adds to the spectacle. To be fair, they made a couple of good points in amongst the trolling I just would've liked to see a tad more analysis other than "He old" and "he small" I mean, I know the term can be kind of loose these days but they are meant to be journalists, right?

I'm not taking it personally at all. I pretty much wrote what you just said, it was a bit of a wind up. I actually quite like bollix like that to be honest. It adds to the spectacle. To be fair, they made a couple of good points in amongst the trolling I just would've liked to see a tad more analysis other than "He old" and "he small" I mean, I know the term can be kind of loose these days but they are meant to be journalists, right?
It's a model that nearly every country uses to get things filled up in a video, as they might not have more to say at that time.

He Small - insert Cheslin Kolbe or Faf De Klerk or Herschell Jantjies' name
He Old - AWJ
He Ugly - Brodie Retallick
He Frail - Jonathan Sexton
He Thug - Bakkies Botha, Schalk Burger, Ellis Genge
He too big for his britches - Owen Farrell (but only from Saffa POV)
He a$$hole - Michael Cheika, Eddie Jones, Phil Kearns (actually just name the majority of aussies, and you'll be okay).
He singleminded - Warren Gatland / Heyneke Meyer

It's a model that nearly every country uses to get things filled up in a video, as they might not have more to say at that time.

He Old - AWJ
He a$$hole - Michael Cheika, Eddie Jones, Phil Kearns (actually just name the majority of aussies, and you'll be okay).
Yeah, it's a model that a certain type of person or "journalist" would use, for sure. We can agree on that.

This is the internet in the 21st century. You can debate facts like the earth is a sphere so I reckon I think it's safe to say this is debatable. Like I said, though, not the point. I love Matfield tbf so don't want to go there. Lol
You can. Doesn't mean you should*

*however Facebooky this place gets.

He Old - AWJ
He a$$hole - bryce lawrence

I take it Garces is retired from international reffing?

if Poite does ref one of the tests then even more important to get the scrum right.

if Poite does ref one of the tests then even more important to get the scrum right.
Why? Its not like he'd get any of decisions right might as well play Mako for 80mins and watch the SA tighheads get pinged.

Why? Its not like he'd get any of decisions right might as well play Mako for 80mins and watch the SA tighheads get pinged.
Play to the ref. Regardless, we'll be tearing our hair out but his decisions will stand.

Has World Rugby had an elite panel since after the World Cup??

If we look at WR's own website, it doesn't appear so, so we don't really know which referees qualify to be the referees for this tour.

But by elimination, the nationality of the referees will be France, Australia, New Zealand and perhaps Argentina. The question will be more if the referees selected, will be up for the task...

Has World Rugby had an elite panel since after the World Cup??

If we look at WR's own website, it doesn't appear so, so we don't really know which referees qualify to be the referees for this tour.

But by elimination, the nationality of the referees will be France, Australia, New Zealand and perhaps Argentina. The question will be more if the referees selected, will be up for the task...
I don't really have any concerns about any of the refs being up for the task. Should be a lot more straight forward than any other lions tour in history as there will be, more than likely, no crowds and we know how hostile and intimidating a packed stadium full of Boks supporters can be.

So with empty, or mostly empty, stadiums the refs can focus on the game. No doubt mistakes will be made but I don't have worries about them dealing with the occasion. Whoever they select, while might not have any lions experience, will have experience of referring many high level international games.

It's a advantage for the Lions imo. Those 50-50 calls that more often than not go to the home side might end up going our way now, perhaps. Having said that, I'd much rather have a packed stadium even if it meant all the fans were Boks and we lost that advantage. Just not the same without the fans. Fingers crossed they can get some in.

Latest posts