• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

2021 British & Irish Lions Squad

I think if it was Biggar or Farrell injured then Sexton would've gotten the call. IMO Russell's only seen by Gatland as a bit of a live wire wildcard he can pull out if things go really wrong; he's not currently seen as a legitimate 10 option. In that sense Smith is the logical replacement.

I can kind of see that in fairness, still dumb imo.

Also another factor, it looks like the starting 9 be Murray and Henshaw the starting 12. If only in this team of cobbled together players there was the potential to have a 9-10-12 axis of guys who've loads of experience together.

Edit: I really doubt Sexton would have said no. He's too competitive. Cue article about him preferring the summer off.

I can kind of see that in fairness, still dumb imo.

Also another factor, it looks like the starting 9 be Murray and Henshaw the starting 10. If only in this team of cobbled together players there was the potential to have a 9-10-12 axis of guys who've loads of experience together.
Big call on Henshaw.

Said this before but Gatland is calling up players who he thinks will just do a job in the mid week games.
He isn't picking players to replace starters in a test.

AWJ and Russell rumoured to be able to potentially play in the test.
Picks 2 players that realistically won't push their spots.

Ryan would 100% thrive against the weak SA clubs and cause a question over AWJ for the tests. Beard won't.
Ford and Sexton likewise above at least with Smith Gatland can cite his inexperience for not playing him in tests. (Although let's be real Biggar and Farrell are his guys)

Is Sexton even fully fit yet since he hasn't been in any of Ireland's games? I'm always suspicious when players claim they want the Summer off. It's very convenient.

Ford I think was having some work done on his ankle or something on the summer.
Hence why he didn't play in the last 3 Tigers games

We're all looking into waaaay too much. Sexton still hasn't returned and Ford is undergoing treatment. Who else do you have?

We're all looking into waaaay too much. Sexton still hasn't returned and Ford is undergoing treatment. Who else do you have?

Sexton, Healy and Earls were all expressly given the summer off by the Irish coaches and POM was allowed off after one game. The coaches want to get a look at the younger lads without the more experienced guys around. There's no indication that he's still injured.

May be more obvious options who could have got the call but tbh he's on good consistant form, im just happy for him tbh

Simmonds have been completly anonymous, bearly got he hands on the ball, he's someone you want on the ball as he can be class but dissapointing he's not getting in the right places so bang average today.

Yeah not calling up Sexton or Ford is more Gatland bullshirt. Smith's got potential but he'd do far better learning in the England camp than dicking around holding tackle bags for the Lions.

Yeah not calling up Sexton or Ford is more Gatland bullshirt. Smith's got potential but he'd do far better learning in the England camp than dicking around holding tackle bags for the Lions
There isn't an England camp after this weekend…

I'd imagine the main reasons Smith has been called up:

Being in the England bubble means he can get on a plane and go.

He's match fit and in form with real no break from rugby like the other potentials.

All that said it was really down to taking a 10 from the home nations who had a game this weekend.

Remember that letters went out to 50-60 players including those on a standby list. There were quite a few rumours that Smith received a letter at the time. I reckon he was always the contingency plan if a 10 (particularly Russell) got injured.

I really like Jonny Hill but can someone please tell me what he's done in a lions jersey. Always seems to be behind the level of play and didn't really see him carry or smash anyone in the tackle at all. I really hoped he'd make a massive impact and step up but I've not seen any of that which is a shame.

for what it's worth my team so far would be

Sunderland
LCD
Furlong
Henderson
Itoje
Bearnie
Watson/ Curry
Conan
Murru
Biggar
LRZ