• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

2021 British & Irish Lions Squad

Apologies for the bump but thought this was pretty funny and thought @Le Frére Alpha might accept Gatlands humble apology and bridges could be built.

"I originally selected Louis Rees-Zammit because of his finishing prowess, but after an 11th-hour rethink went for Josh. I didn't want to make the same mistake as I did in South Africa, leaving Josh out of the first two Tests. He has the uncanny habit of scoring tries when they matter. For example, he had a great opportunity to score in the third Test last year which would have put us in a commanding position to win the series, but unfortunately the pass wasn't made

(Re Sexton) In South Africa I was concerned about his injury record and whether he could get through the tour, and I still probably ask myself now whether it was the right decision to leave him at home.

"You can have a huge database on each player but sometimes it comes down to what a player has done for you in the past, even if he is currently out of form, and sometimes it just comes down to your gut instinct," he added. "I know I have not always got it right. Some of my selections I still turn over in my head to this day. At the end of the day, selection is just opinion and getting the dynamics right for a Lions tour is one where the learning process never ends. On last year's tour of South Africa, I was probably too conciliatory at times in picking the Test team.

"This hypothetical selection has been a lot more fun. With so little preparation time, I have included some national combinations but also tried to ensure that all four countries are represented in the 23-man squad. It is also probably the first time that the selection is all mine! I hope it stirs up some debate."

Gatland's Lions XV of today: 15. Freddie Steward (England), 14. Josh Adams (Wales), 13. Robbie Henshaw (Ireland), 12. Owen Farrell (England), 11. James Lowe (Ireland), 10. Johnny Sexton (Ireland), 9. Jamison Gibson-Park (Ireland), 1. Ellis Genge (England), 2. Jamie George (England), 3. Tadhg Furlong (Ireland), 4. James Ryan (Ireland), 5. Tadhg Beirne (Ireland), 6. Courtney Lawes (England), 7. Josh van der Flier (Ireland), 8. Caelan Doris (Ireland).

Replacements: Dan Sheehan (Ireland), Andrew Porter (Ireland), Zander Fagerson (Scotland), Maro Itoje (England), Taulupe Faletau (Wales), Ali Price (Scotland), Marcus Smith (England), Jack Nowell (England).
Would still prefer someone other than Gatland to get the 2025 gig. He's had 3 as head coach now.

Either Jones, who I think would be most suited to a short gig like the Lions, if he wants it, or Farrell.

Would still prefer someone other than Gatland to get the 2025 gig. He's had 3 as head coach now.

Either Jones, who I think would be most suited to a short gig like the Lions, if he wants it, or Farrell.

I think Farrell is head and shoulders above the rest if he wants it and is allowed to take a year off. Gatland again would show a real lack of both imagination and willingness to evolve from the Lions board.

I doubt he will get the gig again but you never know I guess. Farrell has extended his contract til 2025 so not sure he will be available but, yeah, definitely the top candidate. Farrell and Edwards would be great.

Latest posts