• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

[2021 Six Nations] Wales vs England (27/02/21)

The referee could tell them to hurry up.

No pundit Welsh or otherwise was saying what happened should of. And I'd bet quite happily Wales would be just as angry if it happened to them.
At this point I think it's widely accepted that the reffing was pretty poor on some major occasions by all concerned however what ultimately cost England the game was poor discipline in the last 15 a bit of a theme, players need to wisen up, sure Itojes game is based around playing on the edge he will give penalties away that's accepted with that style of play but he needs to learn that after being pinged on two occasions he needs to be squeaky as clearly under the microscope and not getting away with anything borderline or more Hill just seems headless, in essence same **** different day just frustrating as England seemed to over come some adversity only to get themselves pinged off the park legitimately, we move on.

At this point I think it's widely accepted that the reffing was pretty poor on some major occasions by all concerned however what ultimately cost England the game was poor discipline in the last 15 a bit of a theme, players need to wisen up, sure Itojes game is based around playing on the edge he will give penalties away that's accepted with that style of play but he needs to learn that after being pinged on two occasions he needs to be squeaky as clearly under the microscope and not getting away with anything borderline or more Hill just seems headless, in essence same **** different day just frustrating as England seemed to over come some adversity only to get themselves pinged off the park legitimately, we move on.
Not disagreeing with any of that I believe I've said much along these lines. I was just replying to a Welsh who says what happened was perfectly fine and would totally be okay if the ref did the to Wales which is I believe ********.

There are many issues arising due to the poor standard of officiating yesterday. Its obvious the game is run solely by one man and not 3 (or 4). Any advice from the other officials would have assisted greatly re the 'Biggar kick'.
And the 14 points that a lot of Wales fans argue did not make a difference to the end result - well that is pure nonsense. Any team chasing the game is under constant pressure and as a result is likely to make mistakes. It also affects decisions. Penalty kicks may have been taken instead of going for a try for example. Penalties awarded against for 'over exuberance'.

A key question is and this requires a simple yes or no from the Welsh; 'did you beat a good English team yesterday?'

There are many issues arising due to the poor standard of officiating yesterday. Its obvious the game is run solely by one man and not 3 (or 4). Any advice from the other officials would have assisted greatly re the 'Biggar kick'.
And the 14 points that a lot of Wales fans argue did not make a difference to the end result - well that is pure nonsense. Any team chasing the game is under constant pressure and as a result is likely to make mistakes. It also affects decisions. Penalty kicks may have been taken instead of going for a try for example. Penalties awarded against for 'over exuberance'.

A key question is and this requires a simple yes or no from the Welsh; 'did you beat a good English team yesterday?'
Yes, although we were right back in it by half time and I think pretty much everyone would have expected us to go on and win it from there.

I think Wales beat a team of good players, but not a good team. There's a big difference.

The referee could tell them to hurry up.

No pundit Welsh or otherwise was saying what happened should of. And I'd bet quite happily Wales would be just as angry if it happened to them.
Like kids in the schoolyard?
And it looks like the pundits, English or otherwise, are less determined to accuse the reffing this morning as the replays are shown for both Wales first tries.

Like kids in the schoolyard?
And it looks like the pundits, English or otherwise, are less determined to accuse the reffing this morning as the replays are shown for both Wales first tries.
Like they do when starting a line out or scrum....

Only thing I've read this morning is Matt Dawson (as it's the only thing shared here) and he said it was ********. Not seen any dissenting opinion on twitter.

You've got to hand it to Wales ( and England did!). If the 14 man ploy doesn't work, go for the 16 man.

... and then the missus out does herself by pulling out a couple of Belgian buns and a cuppa... I am one lucky fuqua!

Why do these idiots on social media not understand that Owen Farrell, Ediie Jones, or ANYONE else isn't going to answer a question about questionable refereeing decisions as it's going to get them in trouble?

I expected Owens to makeup some law or 'directive' to justify the Two crucial decisions to his credit he didn't, quite the opposite he has gone up in my ratings considerably.

I expected Owens to makeup some law or 'directive' to justify the Two crucial decisions to his credit he didn't, quite the opposite he has gone up in my ratings considerably.

Ive always liked Owens, he seems to give us some of the greatest games of rugby over the last ten years (SA v NZ, Eng v NZ) but I dont ever remember England getting the rub of the green with him.

In the third test on the 2014 nz tour, I believe robshaw made a break and nonu pulled back Haskell the supporting player preventing a certain try - England only awarded a penalty. England (possibly yarde?) did some sort of professional foul later on and got carded. I remember a poster on these forums said something like 'you can't have it both ways England' to which someone replied 'and yet NZ did'.

I don't even know where I'm going with this I just wanted to half praise/half critique Owens and now I'm happy.

Genuine question, what games did he ref that shaped your opinion on him being a biased ref?

Looking at this the next day, Jones' absolute top priority has got to be sorting out the discipline. We had stuff go against us but ultimately teams that already have a reputation for giving away penalties tend to get scrutinised more resulting in giving away more penalties and the whole thing reinforces itself. England's discipline for years has been in the gutter, frequently at the bottom or 2nd from bottom of the 6N teams and it has got to be addressed. Too many games we are in it on the balance of play but constant stupid infringements cause us to really struggle to get a hold of the game. I've seen us go from attacking the opposition try line to defending our own without the opposition even needing to do anything, all through penalties.

There is playing on the edge and having a bit of fight in the team but that isn't what England have, most of the stuff is just crass stupidity.

I think if we drastically reduce our penalty count, a lot of other stuff will naturally begin to slot into place as fewer of our attacking opportunities end up in nothing and we would spend more of the game further up the field and under less pressure. It has simply got to be the top priority.

Genuine question, what games did he ref that shaped your opinion on him being a biased ref?
I thought he pinged England off the park in 2018 when England lost to Scotland and was pretty inconsistent, remember a number of times Watson getting away with murder at the breakdown for the same offences England got pinged for, add to that I also recall him telling England to retreat they did as instructed then a score for it disallowed on the bases of that same infringement he originally allowed on the basis of them following that instruction, I never felt he intentionally went out of his way to unfairly penalise England just through their perceived poor discipline at times reffed on reputation rather than on what's actually occurring, it also felt like last week he was going out of his way to discredit England trys basing it on a direct violation for a Law which apparently doesn't exist which later transpired to apparently be some kind of directive.

Add to that it's understandably hard to be objective when discussing your own team hence why he couldn't ref Wales.

Last edited:

Latest posts