• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

2023-2024 transfers

I don't know much about Ethan Roots but after all the doom and gloom at Exeter this season Haydon-Wood and Hawkins are two excellent signings

Kinda reminds me a bit of Tigers when Borthwick had a clear out.
All doom and gloom, but paid off massively for the present and future.

Certainly Wasps collapsing came perfectly for them as well

Roots has been very good recently. Thought he was great against Sarries. Bit of a Jack of all trades but useful player. Always fronts up.

No World Cup for Hawkins which is a shame but definitely supporting Exeter with the half dozen or so young Welsh players they have.

Such a mad turnaround from last week to now with the win and the young lads coming through. If it sells out against the Stormers, this could be a decisive moment in the rebuild.

Tom Ellis --> Sale

Not sure how long - says permanent deal but might just mean that he's not on loan from Bath (like he was to Saracens before).
Don't really know much about him tbh, he much cop?
Guessing it means Jean-Luc Du Preez goes to lock for the rest of the season, Ross or Curry to 8 and Ellis onto the bench

Edit: Sale's press release says until end of next season:

Tom Ellis --> Sale

Not sure how long - says permanent deal but might just mean that he's not on loan from Bath (like he was to Saracens before).
Guessing it means Jean-Luc Du Preez goes to lock for the rest of the season, Ross or Curry to 8 and Ellis onto the bench

I'm a fan of his very good 6, just injury problems seem to hit him as soon as he builds form

Would have liked him at tigers

Baxter on the Hawkins rumours

Joe Hawkins: Exeter believe new signing remains eligible for Wales - https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-union/65174214

Baxter explains comments
In February 2023, Baxter denied reports linking Hawkins to Exeter. Five weeks after those comments, Hawkins was unveiled as an Exeter player after signing a long-term contract.
Baxter said on Wednesday he had to dampen speculation in February.
"I was asked by the player not to make any announcement he'd signed for us," added Baxter.
"I was in a catch 22. He was a young guy who is ambitious, wanted to play for Wales and didn't want any drama around his selection.
"We didn't make any announcement and allowed that course to run. I was put in a difficult scenario when a load of rumours broke out.
"I don't know where they came from. They put me in a situation where I had no option but to deny what was going on because I'd promised."

It is a weird one with Hawkins. I'm happy for him etc etc but it is odd that we decided to develop him this 6N when he's not even going to be available for the WC. Especially when we could've given minutes to Kieran Williams. You would've thought Gatland would've known he was off to Exeter so why play him. He looks like he could be a world class player but he missed about 20 tackles over the tournament and while that's obviously understandable given he's new at international rugby but it's just weird why we would go through that for literally no benefit to us. The only people it benefits is him and Exeter.

Seems mad to me that signing for someone for next season rules them our of the World Cup this season - England's selection policies are more restrictive than Wales' and we don't even do that
What's the logic behind it? Worried they won't be available for additional training over the summer? Are there even set international windows during that limbo between end-of-season-and-pre-season?

It is a weird one with Hawkins. I'm happy for him etc etc but it is odd that we decided to develop him this 6N when he's not even going to be available for the WC. Especially when we could've given minutes to Kieran Williams. You would've thought Gatland would've known he was off to Exeter so why play him. He looks like he could be a world class player but he missed about 20 tackles over the tournament and while that's obviously understandable given he's new at international rugby but it's just weird why we would go through that for literally no benefit to us. The only people it benefits is him and Exeter.
From Baxter's interview it sounds like Hawkins was keeping the move a secret. Welsh management likely didn't know he was moving on.

Seems mad to me that signing for someone for next season rules them our of the World Cup this season - England's selection policies are more restrictive than Wales' and we don't even do that
What's the logic behind it? Worried they won't be available for additional training over the summer? Are there even set international windows during that limbo between end-of-season-and-pre-season?
I think the only contention there will be is whether he signed for Exeter before or after his first cap. As it stands he'll miss out but maybe they can work something there, not sure.

I agree though, it's stupid.

Yeah maybe, I just find that hard to believe Welsh rugby being the goldfish bowl it is and the fact it was reported well in advance.
They wernt offering any contracts at that time though so its not like he refused anything to give them an indication, accept the contract and kept it secret.

Baxter has a loyalty to the player not the WRU so i really dont blame he gor keeping it quiet and denying rumours.

I think the only contention there will be is whether he signed for Exeter before or after his first cap. As it stands he'll miss out but maybe they can work something there, not sure.

I agree though, it's stupid.
Hope he can play all year round but then i think chiefs would benefit more from him being allowed to get international experience, does he have an English granny so he can play for us in a few years? ;) joking ofcourse.

They wernt offering any contracts at that time though so its not like he refused anything to give them an indication, accept the contract and kept it secret.

Baxter has a loyalty to the player not the WRU so i really dont blame he gor keeping it quiet and denying rumours.
Oh yeah I'm not talking about Baxter I'm talking about Gatland. I find it hard to believe Gatland didn't know about it but maybe he didn't.

Baxter said he didn't sign Hawkins expecting him to be ineligible for Wales and he expects him to go to the WC. We'll see how it pans out. Ball is in the WRU's court.

Tom Ellis --> Sale

He's one of those talented guys who's body may just not be up to regular premiership action.
Started at lock, lightened up and moved back to 6, but has just kept getting injured.

When he puts a run of games together, you can see why Eddie was interested; but he manages that about 1 year in 3

Oh yeah I'm not talking about Baxter I'm talking about Gatland. I find it hard to believe Gatland didn't know about it but maybe he didn't.

Baxter said he didn't sign Hawkins expecting him to be ineligible for Wales and he expects him to go to the WC. We'll see how it pans out. Ball is in the WRU's court.
The only certainty is that there are going to be some annoyed people. Gatland possibly and while Baxter's stood by his man he is probably pretty ****** off that he's had to lie about it. Tough situation, but not a great start to a relationship.

The only certainty is that there are going to be some annoyed people. Gatland possibly and while Baxter's stood by his man he is probably pretty ****** off that he's had to lie about it. Tough situation, but not a great start to a relationship.
Hopefully the WRU let him play at the WC so everyone is happy, well, everyone except Ospreys.

Latest posts