• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

(2022 Rugby Championship - Round 5) - Argentina V South Africa (17/9/2022)

Who was MOTM? Marx? I'm so glad he is playing 80 minutes and starting. I have waited two years for these coaches to see the light. He is the best in the world.
He's not an 80 minute player, though. Yes, he played 80 minutes, and you saw the same with Kistchy, but they were gassed by 80 minutes. Against the Irish or French, we need maximum effort for 40-50 minutes max.

It's alright. Your coach was quoted last week as saying Faf has had some experience at 10. :p

I'm really not sure why Libbok or even J. Hendrikse haven't been blooded to provide some emergency depth.
Many forget but in 2015 Schalk Burger was our fly half.

He's not an 80 minute player, though. Yes, he played 80 minutes, and you saw the same with Kistchy, but they were gassed by 80 minutes. Against the Irish or French, we need maximum effort for 40-50 minutes max.
Lol what Marx made a slick pass and scored a try in minute 82 what you talking about lol. By minute 80 everyone is gassed lol.

Lol what Marx made a slick pass and scored a try in minute 82 what you talking about lol. By minute 80 everyone is gassed lol.
Fourie made the slick pass. We got manhandled at the scrum. When was the last time that happened?

Fourie made the slick pass. We got manhandled at the scrum. When was the last time that happened?
Marx was part of it. Scrum is far more props than hooker. Hooker is stability and props are power. Why would you not start Marx in a match? It defies logic because he is the best. I would rather play Marx for 80 than Marx for 40 and someone else. So would a World XV. Except with maybe this NZ 2 whatever his difficult name is he is a beast . Locally the rest are decent, but Marx is a game changer. None of the other hookers we have are. They are simply 'solid'. Where Marx can be spectacular.

Last edited:
Marx was part of it. Scrum is far more props than hooker. Hooker is stability and props are power. Why would you not start Marx in a match? It defies logic because he is the best. I would rather play Marx for 80 than Marx for 40 and someone else. So would a World XV. Except with maybe this NZ 2 whatever his difficult name is he is a beast . Locally the rest are decent, but Marx is a game changer. None of the other hookers we have are. They are simply 'solid'. Where Marx can be spectacular.
You are vastly underrating Bongi. He's an elite hooker.

Always Sunny Reaction GIF

Bongi fans explaining why being worse in every aspect of the game means you should start

You are vastly underrating Bongi. He's an elite hooker.
Go and look at highlights reels for both careers on YouTube. I will wait for you to post the Bongi one ... I'm not saying Bongi is bad cause he isn't, but Marx is a SPECIAL player. Mbonambi isn't. This is a fact. He is adequate, because SA depth is massive, but he is not and will not ever be a better rugby player than Malcolm Marx.

Last edited:
Always Sunny Reaction GIF

Bongi fans explaining why being worse in every aspect of the game means you should start
Imagine this guy signing for a premiership club. Would you prefer him or Mbonambi? Honest question.

Marx easy,
Imo he's the 2nd best hooker in the world (behind Motoya)
I reckon both in their prime Creevy rivals or surpasses him. Not Marx, Montoya. I honestly think Marx is the best hooker we have seen since Keith Wood. The only others that I would consider in this class is Mealamu and prime Bismark du Plessis.

Last edited:
Go and look at highlights reels for both careers on YouTube. I will wait for you to post the Bongi one ... I'm not saying Bongi is bad cause he isn't, but Marx is a SPECIAL player. Mbonambi isn't. This is a fact. He is adequate, because SA depth is massive, but he is not and will not ever be a better rugby player than Malcolm Marx.
The World Cup winning coaches disagree with you. Along with the Sharks brain trust.

The World Cup winning coaches disagree with you. Along with the Sharks brain trust.
Ok, the world cup. What happened there? Semi final, Marx came on and was part of a 50m maul. Then broke away and fed Faf. Try. The final, 2019, Bongi went off injured. Marx, quick hands, try Mapimpi. Then, tackle on slade that dislodged ball (made by Marx) and try by Kolbe.

Marx is the best no. 2 in world rugby. It isn't more complicated than that. No agenda, just facts. Man of the match in 4 of the 5 tests he has started in the last 2 years.

I reckon both in their prime Creevy rivals or surpasses him. Not Marx, Montoya. I honestly think Marx is the best hooker we have seen since Keith Wood. The only others that I would consider in this class is Mealamu and prime Bismark du Plessis.
Yeah Creevy is one of my all time faves, but definitely in the winding down era of his career

Yeah Creevy is one of my all time faves, but definitely in the winding down era of his career
On his day unplayable. One of the hardest ever imo and an icon of Arg rugby, next to contepomi, imhoff and Hernandez.

As Marx has improved his throwing he is clearly number 1 for the Boks in my opinion. The thing is a bad throw in can cost you on average, the length of an opponent's kick in territory (40-50 yards). Realistically a hooker can have the best game of their life and potentially not get anywhere close to making up the territory lost from one lost lineout (assuming props are more instrumental in winning scrum penalties than a hooker is).

Marx was awful at throwing, not just below average, awful. It was so frustrating as a neutral. So I'd be picking Bongi if I was coach and had any concerns about Marx's mentality or accuracy in big moments. But happily it seems his technique is now reliable enough that he's put those to bed so the only thing I could hold against him is he plays in Japan, but that seems to be a non-factor for the Boks coaches.

Also, Ledesma was the best hooker I've ever seen. I've never taken to Creevy at all because to me he was in Ledesma's shadow.

Latest posts