• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

[2023 Six Nations] Scotland Squad

I'll put this out there, tbh I don't have time to check every injury and form but this is more or less how I would start the Calcutta Cup.
1675161152774.png

I'll put this out there, tbh I don't have time to check every injury and form but this is more or less how I would start the Calcutta Cup.
View attachment 15988

Tighthead is definitely an issue if Zander Fagerson isn't fit. Nel can do an ok job for 40-50 mins but then you have Berghan on the bench which is a worrying prospect. Hooker could be any two from Cherry, Turner and Brown. I think Richie Gray has to start given his form and that the lineout mysteriously started to function when he returned to the team. Hamish Watson only played his first game for Edinburgh after a long injury lay off. I think we may see a back row of Ritchie / M Fagerson / Dempsey. Luke Crosbie may start ahead of Dempsey with M Fagerson moved to 8.

Agree with the Horne call (or White). Price simply isn't in form. Steyn on the wing could be Kinghorn or Maitland.

I'd probably go Hogg, DVDM, Harris, Sione, Maitland (for experience), White, Russell, Dempsey, Ritchie, M Fagerson, R Gray, J Gray, Nel, Brown, Schoeman.

Townsend loves Price and so I imagine he'll start. Also think Gilchrist will start. If Mish isn't in the team then J Gray will be more essential as the tackle bot.

Last edited:
Tighthead is definitely an issue if Zander Fagerson isn't fit. Nel can do an ok job for 40-50 mins but then you have Berghan on the bench which is a worrying prospect. Hooker could be any two from Cherry, Turner and Brown. I think Richie Gray has to start given his form and that the lineout mysteriously started to function when he returned to the team. Hamish Watson only played his first game for Edinburgh after a long injury lay off. I think we may see a back row of Ritchie / M Fagerson / Dempsey. Luke Crosbie may start ahead of Dempsey with M Fagerson moved to 8.

Agree with the Horne call (or White). Price simply isn't in form. Steyn on the wing could be Kinghorn or Maitland.

I'd probably go Hogg, DVDM, Harris, Sione, Maitland (for experience), White, Russell, Dempsey, Ritchie, M Fagerson, R Gray, J Gray, Nel, Brown, Schoeman.

Townsend loves Price and so I imagine he'll start. Also think Gilchrist will start. If Mish isn't in the team then J Gray will be more essential as the tackle bot.
Yeah I would have Zander in all day long but word is he is out for now at least. Hooker I agree any of the 3 are good options, Cherry seems to have a knack for beating defenders in the loose!

White would be OK with me also, I don't watch Glasgow closely but Horne has been the choice man at 9 and they are going well. Price is dependable for the bench and has a lot of miles playing with Finn.

Just to clarify. I've no criticism of Townsend over player selection except if the ageing McConnachie and Cooney jump to the head of the Cup without joining Edinburgh or Glasgow (which I think would be bad for wider morale). Townsend has to look after his career and try to win at all costs.

So my teamsheet wasn't far away but I didn't expect Harris to be benched, should be an exciting set of backs if we get good ball. Need a mega performance from Nel

Easier posting here than on the CC thread it's too busy with whinging…

First of all, where did that CONFIDENCE come from?? I have never seen Scotland look so calm and collected that I can remember. Really really pleased how they approached this game.

An unusual game in a way, it seemed to be mostly England which we absorbed and managed pretty well. Defence did what was needed overall, albeit there will be more organised challengers to come.

Nel seemed to hang on ok, didn't seem a scrum heavy game to me and there wasn't endless resets.

Happy with White, and also Horne when he came on. Price will have a job to do getting back in the starting 15.

Great from Finn, had to take a lot of attention in the first half but just showed his class.

12 and 13 really worked for this game, for Wales we could stick with it for another round I think.

Big fan of darcy but Steyn is some unit as well, very impressed.

Headlines for VDM and rightly so, he was the X factor that made a big difference.

Back row forwards also had a strong game, no Watson but some real challengers in there to cause some head scratching.

This has to be backed up against wales who no surprise were much tighter in the second half than the first against Ireland. However, I fully expect our scrum to be used to give them a hard time, and the backs to capitalise on that.

anyone else getting 2017 vibes from the current midfield with tuipoluto doing the job alex dunbar used to do which is what i think we have been missing the last few years.

I think our discipline was much better yesterday. There seemed to be far fewer daft penalties conceded. Maybe the ref helped in that regard and wasn't being as pedantic as other refs would have been but I think our discipline was better regardless.

Thought it was a proper team performance with most players bringing their A game. Russell was shaky in the first half but recovered well in the second and was influential. It looked like part of England's gameplan included targeting Russell by closing him down quickly and putting in a few hits as he kicked. Hogg looked a bit out of sorts but he is just back from an injury lay off. Kinghorn looked superb at FB when he came on. I wouldn't be averse to starting him against Wales otherwise I'd keep the same team with Zander/Nel sharing the TH spot.

Last edited:
If I am correct I believe Pete Horne is on loan from Glasgow to work on the attack. One must assume we have him to thank for the passing game, some excellent consistency and very few dropped balls (ok some gaffs in a couple of attacks should have come off better) but the speed was pleasing. White must have had a big impact on the pace too, make Price look glacial now.

Even though our record against Scotland is very good and this wouldn't be the first time going into the game where we've not been in great form and Scotland have but still lost, I can't say I'm confident. I expect a close game but Scotland to nik it. Mind you I remember the last time we lost to Scotland in Murrayfield in 2017 and that was a comfortable Scotland win that day and I wouldn't rule out another one like that but equally wouldn't rule out a Wales win either.

Even though our record against Scotland is very good and this wouldn't be the first time going into the game where we've not been in great form and Scotland have but still lost, I can't say I'm confident. I expect a close game but Scotland to nik it. Mind you I remember the last time we lost to Scotland in Murrayfield in 2017 and that was a comfortable Scotland win that day and I wouldn't rule out another one like that but equally wouldn't rule out a Wales win either.

If Pivac was still in charge I'd feel much more confident but Gatland is a wily old fox who will demand a response from his players. That said there seems to be a determination in the Scottish camp to back last weekend up with another win. I know Owens is captain now but will AWJ's absence on the pitch be as big a miss as it would have been a couple of years ago?

This game is the one I am probably most nervous about, Wales have a habit of being very beatable the week before then completely humbling us. I cling on to the hope that Scotlands confidence at Twickenham is not just a one off.

Yeah it'll be interesting to see what team Gatland picks. Outside pressure is to make wholesale changes but he won't be paying attention to that. He usually picks the same team after a loss and he'll probably do the same here but there probably will be 1 or 2 changes other than AWJ but not the 10-15 that some people are saying.

Well that was a fun weekend, have to keep the focus now for 2 weeks nad go to France and improve again.

Kinghorn has made a big statement to start at 15, he is a back 3 player not a 10 and is really shining in that position.

Well that was a fun weekend, have to keep the focus now for 2 weeks nad go to France and improve again.

Kinghorn has made a big statement to start at 15, he is a back 3 player not a 10 and is really shining in that position.
Personally I would prefer Hogg back, but can see where you are coming and agree he shone and earned a place going forward

Personally I would prefer Hogg back, but can see where you are coming and agree he shone and earned a place going forward
I'm a Hogg fan too, not sure what it is though he doesn't seem to have had the impact that Kinghorn has when he's come one. Been a few loose passes too its just not all roses for me with Hogg at the moment, it would be a big call to drop him as a starter in Paris though.

I'm a Hogg fan too, not sure what it is though he doesn't seem to have had the impact that Kinghorn has when he's come one. Been a few loose passes too its just not all roses for me with Hogg at the moment, it would be a big call to drop him as a starter in Paris though.
Definitely think Hogg is a bit of a liability when passing. You need to trust that they can finish off a move with a good pass and I don't think that with him.

Definitely think Hogg is a bit of a liability when passing. You need to trust that they can finish off a move with a good pass and I don't think that with him.
Yes and it's not the first time, don't know whats up with him. Its a bummer because he is still a great attacking runner.

Latest posts