• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

[2023 Six Nations] Scotland Squad

Well any Slam ambitions are off now BUT the Triple Crown is still up for grabs.

I missed the first 30 mins of the game live but having watched the highlights back it does seem like Scotland left a lot of points unscored from the positions and territory they were in.

The innacuracy is a bit disappointing and some unforced errors or bad decisions don't reflect well in the event of a loss. Still, if they use this to find a way to beat Ireland I will not be complaining too much, France at home is a big game for any visitors.

Really struggling to find a reason to start Hogg next game out, just not hitting the heights we need right now there have been passes gone wrong in all 3 games from him that were pretty key moments overall. Kinghorn is solid back 3 player it could be his time.

The ultimate forwards test is coming, and yet it looked like we had a good manage on the French with some good scrummaging and mauling. Lineout needs refining, the increased pressure of #2 opponents undoubtedly showed.

Can still have a strong tournament, we need to have a strategy nailed down for the world cup because getting out that group is a massive challenge. Getting the foundations laid now with a fairly settled team is reassuring.

Final word to Huipolotou, what a pair they have turned into - the cohesion is great.

Some injury concerns ahead of the Italy game, Russel would be the biggest one to lose so hopefully he can recover. Loved the shapes that he and Sione were cutting yesterday, not sure what his tactical kicking is like but Tuipolotou at 10 if Russel can't start? He was plenty handy at first receiver.

I feel a little sorry for Scotland (not to much) genuinely have a decent side that is at least worthy of a qtr final but they won't get out the group. Doesn't seem fair but I guess it's not impossible they beat SA.

Far too early to be drinking on a Monday.

If Russell is out I'd rather see Healy at 10, keep Tuipolotu at 12 and give Kinghorn a full game at 15. Hogg looks shot, hopefully can get a better balance to his conditioning over the summer.
It's almost 11am. That's late in the day my friend.

Just checked Hoggs age, didn't realise he was 30. Thought he was at least a couple years older than that.

Far too early to be drinking on a Monday.

If Russell is out I'd rather see Healy at 10, keep Tuipolotu at 12 and give Kinghorn a full game at 15. Hogg looks shot, hopefully can get a better balance to his conditioning over the summer.
Ah yes one of the outsider options for 10. Probably wise, 12 &13 work well and we need some backup at 10 for a WC which I am a little surprised Gregor hasn't tested the waters with for 5-10 minutes in this 6N. There are the warmup games so that might be the thinking.

I would like to see Kinghorn start at 15, Hogg is tired I think just not been at his best. Not past it but needing some refocusing.

It's almost 11am. That's late in the day my friend.

Just checked Hoggs age, didn't realise he was 30. Thought he was at least a couple years older than that.
Lots of miles in those legs! Not sure he's ever really adapted to Scotland's changing needs - was the key/only playmaker for the first half of his career but over the past few we'd have benefited from a more conventional 15.
Ah yes one of the outsider options for 10. Probably wise, 12 &13 work well and we need some backup at 10 for a WC which I am a little surprised Gregor hasn't tested the waters with for 5-10 minutes in this 6N. There are the warmup games so that might be the thinking.

I would like to see Kinghorn start at 15, Hogg is tired I think just not been at his best. Not past it but needing some refocusing.
Assume Hastings is still out? At least if Healy does play he'll have a good midfield partnership outside him, and support from 15 (whether that's Hogg or Kinghorn)

Unfortunately if Russell is out of the world cup I don't think it'll matter who we play at ten. Probably worth playing Healy for the media storm.

Lots of miles in those legs! Not sure he's ever really adapted to Scotland's changing needs - was the key/only playmaker for the first half of his career but over the past few we'd have benefited from a more conventional 15.

Assume Hastings is still out? At least if Healy does play he'll have a good midfield partnership outside him, and support from 15 (whether that's Hogg or Kinghorn)

Unfortunately if Russell is out of the world cup I don't think it'll matter who we play at ten. Probably worth playing Healy for the media storm.
Not sure on Hastings, shoulder issue which one would expect to be right by the Autumn. That said how much game time he will have could be an issue.

Probably true re Russell, just be good to see who is following in behind other than Hastings who I like but don't think has quite shown his best yet internationally at 10.

Can the Paddys attack one of their own? Would be interesting.....

Healy needs experience at test level in case Finn gets crocked before or during the RWC. Italy at home is the ideal game to throw him in with Kinghorn starting at 15 and able to cover 10.

Hogg and Russell confirmed out, Gray still being assessed.

Russell rumoured to have done his MCL. Could that be the injury from previous weekend?

Hogg and Russell confirmed out, Gray still being assessed.

Russell rumoured to have done his MCL. Could that be the injury from previous weekend?

I thought he had strapping around his hamstring when he came off at Racing. My initial reaction was "I hope Russell makes the RWC" but we're finishing third in that group regardless of whether he plays or not. Hope it's not serious in any case.

Kinghorn to 15 and Healy at 10 makes most sense but I wouldn't be surprised if Toonie plays Kinghorn at 10 and brings in someone like Maitland to play 15.

I thought he had strapping around his hamstring when he came off at Racing. My initial reaction was "I hope Russell makes the RWC" but we're finishing third in that group regardless of whether he plays or not. Hope it's not serious in any case.

Kinghorn to 15 and Healy at 10 makes most sense but I wouldn't be surprised if Toonie plays Kinghorn at 10 and brings in someone like Maitland to play 15.
Just remembered that Kinghorn was struggling towards the end of the game too, so Healy/Maitland quite likely I'd guess.

Agree on Russell/anyone's fitness for the world cup being sadly irrelevant.

Savala and Bayliss called up which would suggest Kinghorn is going to 15 and Healy at 10. Savala might get a bench spot if Toonie moves back to a 5:3 split otherwise it'll be Harris and Price (FWIW I'd have Hornito).

So, now that this is a reality what do we know about this Healy guy? Is he the one with Irish caps (or was that the 9)?

And is he any good lol

So, now that this is a reality what do we know about this Healy guy? Is he the one with Irish caps (or was that the 9)?

And is he any good lol
I doubt he'll ever be an international starter for you. I think his peak potential is about the level of Ross Byrne. Potentially a very solid guy to have off the bench or in a bind with injuries. He is a bit of a loss for Munster but not one for Ireland imo.

He's the 10, the 9 is Cooney, think you have a few better 9s than him at this point, he deserved a few more chances with Ireland but never had the speed of service required for Ireland's and Scotland's gameplans.

I doubt he'll ever be an international starter for you. I think his peak potential is about the level of Ross Byrne. Potentially a very solid guy to have off the bench or in a bind with injuries. He is a bit of a loss for Munster but not one for Ireland imo.

He's the 10, the 9 is Cooney, think you have a few better 9s than him at this point, he deserved a few more chances with Ireland but never had the speed of service required for Ireland's and Scotland's gameplans.
Ah yes Cooney I remember him playing for Ireland, yeah tbh its a bit of noise about not very much I would say, Scotland have 4 international 9s who are all pretty decent, White, Price, Horne and Vellacot.

Wonder if Healy could be developed under Toonie a bit.

Looking through the names, there is Ollie Smith who could come in at FB but that would mean Kinghorn to 10 which is not what I want to see.

Ah yes Cooney I remember him playing for Ireland, yeah tbh its a bit of noise about not very much I would say, Scotland have 4 international 9s who are all pretty decent, White, Price, Horne and Vellacot.

Wonder if Healy could be developed under Toonie a bit.

Looking through the names, there is Ollie Smith who could come in at FB but that would mean Kinghorn to 10 which is not what I want to see.
Time to try a new name at 10, better against Italy than far stronger opposition

Time to try a new name at 10, better against Italy than far stronger opposition
I agree, for the backs I'm going to call for Healy at 10, KH at 15 keep White at 9 for starting and bring Horne onto the bench if possible.

How do you feel about Ritchie as captain? I was glad he replaced Hogg but in both of the last two games he seems to have really wound up the referee. Pretty rare for an international team to be marched back.

Hopefully something he can improve on with time but the fear is he's getting a reputation he'll always be refereed on.

Latest posts