• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

30 too old?

Sparky1989

Academy Player
I'm 30 and haven't played rugby since school! Am I too old to start back up now? Have a reasonable level of fitness and strength

No such thing as to old when it comes to rugby. I haven't played since 2014 and would happily take it up again if I had the time for more injuries. You'll be fine, just set a reasonable goal of what you want to achieve (3rd grade or 2nd) don't expect to run into 1st grade going of how good you were at school.

I was watching the HSBC World Rugby Sevens Series over the weekend and there was a 40 year old playing in one of the matches. You're not too old. Go for it. :cool:

Last edited:
No such thing as to old when it comes to rugby. I haven't played since 2014 and would happily take it up again if I had the time for more injuries. You'll be fine, just set a reasonable goal of what you want to achieve (3rd grade or 2nd) don't expect to run into 1st grade going of how good you were at school.

Yeah I'm not expecting to play for the firsts by any means! Just want to get training and playing on a Saturday

I'm 30 and haven't played rugby since school! Am I too old to start back up now? Have a reasonable level of fitness and strength

Definitely not. I had a similar gap from uni until my early 30s.

I am making my comeback next season at the ripe old age of 44 so no your still young enough to enjoy a good few seasons yet.

Latest posts