• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

6 Nations HYPE Thread

Survive. Another year.
Don't think we can escape from pos. 6 on the table, again.

But since COS came in we're on the right path, as we can see from the slight improvement of our Pro14 franchises. Zebre are basically a new team since they were bankrupted last june and coach Bradley, with a roster and a budget not even compareble to any other team in the league, is doing a great job with the young lads, giving'em confidence and knowledge. Benetton is getting solid match by match.

So I think that this will affect the Azzurri too but not this year, it's too early to see major improvements. I know that lots of you wanna see us out of 6N and I can understand that but I'm sure that next year we'll be more competitive and with 3 home fixtures we'll have the right chance to prove what I'm assuming.

In italian rugby history we never had a DOR and national coach team as full of power as O'Shea's. He's a great man, with huge know-how, commitment and a good staff (Note: we don't have a specific defensive coach dedicated to us, we have to share Venter with SARU and that's simply ridiculous and silly, too) but he has a ***anic task ahead and we can acomplish it only with time.
Next year will be a good mark. If even Conor will fail, well, bring the coffin in.

Survive. Another year.
Don't think we can escape from pos. 6 on the table, again.
You have a good chance in Paris next month. The FFR joke team will be coming off the back of 2 straight losses to Ireland and Scotland. They'll be there for the taking take my word for it. And Conor shud keep his job!

You have a good chance in Paris next month. The FFR joke team will be coming off the back of 2 straight losses to Ireland and Scotland. They'll be there for the taking take my word for it. And Conor shud keep his job!
Do you think the FFR is beyond repair at this stage French Fan? Have the LNR become to powerful to make it workable? It's such a shame, I love French rugby.

They have no chance if they turn up in Paris.

I can only seen one possible French victory in the 6N - against Italy at the Stade de France, but if Italy have a bit of luck on their side and the French play like headless chickens (distinctly possible!!), they could win.
It seems as if the LNR don't give a monkey's about the French XV and only concern themselves with the well-being of the Top14 clubs with their myriad of foreign players.
Put that right and in a few years we may see a resurgence of the French team. But don't hold your breath!

I can only seen one possible French victory in the 6N - against Italy at the Stade de France, but if Italy have a bit of luck on their side and the French play like headless chickens (distinctly possible!!), they could win.
It seems as if the LNR don't give a monkey's about the French XV and only concern themselves with the well-being of the Top14 clubs with their myriad of foreign players.
Put that right and in a few years we may see a resurgence of the French team. But don't hold your breath!

You won't be beating Italy at the Stade De France. ;)

Wales should be targeting the 3 home wins, but it's going to be a tough ask to travel to Twickenham and The Aviva and get a result, I'm just hoping to give them a game. I don't like to talk crap about coaches especially ones how have brought success in the past but I'm slowly losing faith with the coaching setup which each block of international window. Even forgetting the rather turgid rugby Wales have produced the last few years, they often come across out of touch with the fan base and even reality when talking about some players!

I don't know. For sure you are helping us to believe that. But you have too many talent individually and even if the team, as a group, blows up you can turn around a match in an istant with people like yours.
We are at the opposite: we can do well if everything goes well so we can mantain high the spirit of the troop but if you hit us out of the blue we melt as snow and we won't get back in the match for 10 lethal minutes, at least. We don't have (yet) players that can solve a match and push the others to the victory. Not even Sergio, he's not enough.

I absolutely agree with you about Conor keeping his spot. Problem is that next year we are going to have election at FIR and the actual chairman, who is biggest Conor's sponsor, won't be re-elected. We have many that would like to turn back in time, shut down Pro14 franchises and just play national league and if they win they could possibly drive the movement on that direction (for me it's MADNESS, let's be clear, you get better only playing with the best in the PROPER way) and cut Conor's head.
That's why I say to wait next year, for the 6N and the RWC. See what happens, I hope COS to stay with us for a long time even if next year goes bad. It's the only way we have for growing: expert people in the right spots, and Conor is one of those.

Fixture list and no other reason as far as I can see..

As I explained above, just one fixture (away to England). The last time I looked, they were a shorter price than England are to beat France (both away), Scotland, Wales and Italy (all at home). If you agree that England are 4/7 favourites over Ireland at Twickenham, then the market is about right, you think they're significantly too short, Ireland are value. My gut feeling is that the latter is the case. I have the same misgivings about England's chances as I did in Dublin last year based on the lack of ball carriers creating an inability to get front foot ball. Also, I think that England's injury list is more damaging than Ireland's as things stand. On the other hand, England managed to hang in and only lose by four points last time around. I don't know what conventional wisdom says that home advantage is worth (other than 3 ranking points), but I'd have thought it would be at least four points. On top of that, while I'm not a blind Eddie Jones zealot of the ilk you find on Facebook groups, but I'd like to think that he's bright enough not to do the same thing as last year and expect different results.

Long story short, if Ireland were still available at 2/1, they'd be enough value that I'd be backing them, at 6/4, I don't see enough value to bother with, so it's a no bet for me.

I've been too busy to read much about the tournament so I'll be even less informed than usual! :p

Italy - might have a chance of sneaking a wooden spoon decider in Rome against Scotland if they can muster a performance like against Wallabies last year and execute a driving maul. Most likely will underperform a bit compared to the Pro14 performances and never threaten for even a losing BP. I pick 6th.

Scotland - comically bad injuries and suspension issues in the tight five have ended their prospects before they start. Hard luck, but shows failings in nurturing depth compared to rival unions. Cosequently zero chance against the packs of England, Ireland and France. I pick 5th.

France - i rate Brunel highly even though he must be getting on in years. For me he is by far the best coach Italy has ever had (excluding an awful last year). He has a decent talent base to pick from but won't threaten the top spot. I pick 4th.

Wales - I saw a lot more positives in November for Wales than others seem to have. A real intent to score tries and the selection options to do so. Biggar is a good flyhalf but he and Priestland being unavailable is possibly the best thing to happen to Wales. Patchell must get the start and can bring a much more dynamic edge to Wales. Their pack is probably just about good enough to help them win against France. I pick 3rd.

Ireland - sucks to have the good luck on injuries on a year when they have to play at Twickenham. Might see 3-4 BP victories as Schmidt has seen the light and picks more athletic backs. Ireland desperately needed a fit Scotland to give a chance of pinching a win off England and opening the door to top spot. Not for the first time in the past 6 months Scotland undermine Irish rugby! I pick 2nd.

England - can anyone make a case for any fixture that England will lose even if they don't hit top gear? I just can't see it. Ireland in Twickenham is their toughest fixture, but probably not one that will cause EJ sleepless nights. I pick as champions.

Can't wait to look down that team sheet later and get that familiar feeling of disappointment.

England's chariot is going to lose a couple of wheels this 6N! I've a feeling that Scotland will turn them over before the final humiliation against Ireland - whose Tournament it is to lose.

Win this, which we should, and we're favourites for champo. The Irish camp seems far too comfortable and confident, that's when you have to worry as a fan!

I wrote this in the Ireland v France thread and by the skin of Johnny Sexton's sack it's happened! Ireland are now 10/3 to England's 7/2 for the championship with both sides at 5/2 for a slam. Wales at 6/1 and 18/1 aren't to be taken overly seriously yet according to the bookies and no slam at 11/10 is the most likely but a France to beat England and England to beat Ireland double at 17/4 looks far more valuable there as I don't see England or Ireland giving up home court v Wales or losing to Scotland.

Latest posts