• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

$60,000NZ?

B

Bullitt

Question: When you live in Auckland, is $60,000 a decent salary?

I have no idea what the exchange rate is like ATM and wouldn't have the foggiest about NZ costs of living; Somebody gimme a clue!

When i went to Samoa, the NZ dollar was actually worth less than the Samoa Tala (dollar). Whereas i was getting $3 Tala to the pound, the kiwis were actually getting much much less.

So when i go and eat something, lets say something very basic and simple like cheese on toast in a hotel restaurant, for me it costs £3.. but for kiwi it was over $10NZ. $10NZ for toast with cheese is like paying £10 here i guess. It better be made by the pope or something for that price.

So, go figure that NZ dollar is basically worth not a lot, even in the poorest counties in the pacific of which it should be strong against i would have thought. For exchange rate, try www.xe.com.

So i suppose $60,000NZ is around £20,000. What you get for $60,000NZ in the pacific region, is probably not a lot going by what you get in Apia, Samoa which is breadline.

Oh, well f*** that... I ain't moving halfway round the world for pennies.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Fa'atau82 @ Feb 9 2009, 08:45 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
When i went to Samoa, the NZ dollar was actually worth less than the Samoa Tala (dollar). Whereas i was getting $3 Tala to the pound, the kiwis were actually getting much much less.

So when i go and eat something, lets say something very basic and simple like cheese on toast in a hotel restaurant, for me it costs £3.. but for kiwi it was over $10NZ. $10NZ for toast with cheese is like paying £10 here i guess. It better be made by the pope or something for that price.

So, go figure that NZ dollar is basically worth not a lot, even in the poorest counties in the pacific of which it should be strong against i would have thought. For exchange rate, try www.xe.com.

So i suppose $60,000NZ is around £20,000. What you get for $60,000NZ in the pacific region, is probably not a lot going by what you get in Apia, Samoa which is breadline.[/b]

I though the knew zeeland dollar was going up in value granted thats probably being f**ked with the crisis and all but yeah that is surprising.

Hey mite sell your house in the UK (assuming you own one) and move to NZ you'll have about 3 times what you had if you stayed in the UK.

Then when you got your NZ passport you can immigrate to Australia woohoo!

That's why Samoa has NO tourism. It's a tiny 2-island nation (Upolu is the better island by far), which has tropical weather.. i.e it is typically 30 degrees with 90% humidity and then, in the space of an hour you have a full gale monsoon. 90% humidity in that climate is just soul-draining. But it is a beautiful place. The shops shut at 4pm everyday, nothing opens on sundays apart from church, and you can do the whole tourist scene in a week, although some of it is really cool, like the Taga blowholes on Savai'i. Launch coconuts into the pacific!

The only kiwis and aussies i saw were backpackers and workers from ships and the occasional expat. Everything seemed geared to the £GBP if you convert it, like the rugby ticket for £10 for a VIP seat with hospitality.. i was in the same row as Brian Lima!

Anyway, the gist of what i am saying is that there is no gain for kiwis or aussies (their rate was better, but still rubbish against the £GBP) to go abroad for holidays to these stunning islands, and where you can go that's nice is pricey. The cost of living is cheaper in NZ but you earn less, so essentially you are just swapping one for another.

I suppose it depends on whether you prefer euro politics or oceanic politics really.

what kind of work do you do. Any trade qualifications etc... I know of plenty of places here where you could get a very decent salary... especially out west, the per Capita avg income in Alberta is around $74,000 Canadian dollars which equates to about £40,000 GBP.... not too mention the cost of goods isn't that high except for mabye housing but that will drop. The country is also one of the best placed to weather the economic storm because of our strong centrally controlled and regulated banking system.

Really the only downside to Canada is the cold... and well if you don't really like the long distances between places. Trust me though there is big money to be made in this country. Especially in the Western provinces on the Oil and Gas fields if your willing to get into that sort of work. You can expect to make if your a tradesman upwards of over $120,000 a year out there as the demand for labour is so high. Engineers make ridiculous amounts. One of my buddies is an engineer for Suncor energy... brand new right out of university they are paying him $200,000 annually to oversee a pipeline construction project.

Do they need dental technicians in Canada? I can fix your borked ice hockey teeth!

we need everything mate.... There is a huge labour shortage in Canada. It has actually affected our economic growth significantly because we don't have the necessary labour to keep up with all the projects being planned. The Oil fields in Alberta have actually had to slow down construction because they just cannot get the labour to continue.

Our GDP is 1.5 trillion and per capita income is around $47,000 Canadian and we only have just over 30 million people in this country. The money is there but we need labour :-D

This is why I laugh everytime someone talks about America needing the middle east for oil. We havethe largest oil reserves in the world and the Americans are tapping them. Alberta is going to be pumping out 5 million barrels of oil a day within five to ten years from now and the Americans and China are going to come in and grab all they can.

$60,000 is not that flash for someone coming from your part of the world, or someone living in Auckland (it's the most expensive place in NZ). If it were $80,000 and it was somewhere like Christchurch in the South Island, it'd be worthwhile. Mostly because a tech-saavy englishman would get a lot of opportunities in NZ and $100,000 a year would be yours at least after 3 or 4 years. Either through promotion or other offers.

So thats my take. With your pound over there worth what it is (for now anyhow), I'd fart in the general direction of such an offer.

I still say we should all make a franchise village on a small island in the indian ocean. Like the freemasons, you can only come if you are invited by another member. We can call it the Rugby Islands and have Nate Rowlan as our King. We can hold the annual Rugby Island Sevens. We can make a national rugby team (Team TRF) and all babies are born by Laetca.

All hail King Nate I.. :bonne-de:

Who's joining me? -_-

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (C A Iversen @ Feb 10 2009, 03:19 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
$60,000 is not that flash for someone coming from your part of the world, or someone living in Auckland (it's the most expensive place in NZ). If it were $80,000 and it was somewhere like Christchurch in the South Island, it'd be worthwhile. Mostly because a tech-saavy englishman would get a lot of opportunities in NZ and $100,000 a year would be yours at least after 3 or 4 years. Either through promotion or other offers.

So thats my take. With your pound over there worth what it is (for now anyhow), I'd fart in the general direction of such an offer.[/b]

Indeed, I believe I shall do just that... *pharrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr*

$60,000nz isn't that good really but I'm not sure in Auckland. I think if you're in the suburbs you'll be looking at paying about $200-300 minimum for a 2 bedroom flat a week. If you right in the city thou it's probably more close to double or maybe triple that. Food is a bit of a rip off these days milk use to be a dollar a litre but now you're looking at paying 3-4 dollars for a 2 litre milk. Budget breads not too bad bout 1-2 dollars so basic living needs are rip off.

Petrol is $1.64 a litre right now it just went down 5c yesterday but it's constantly up and down. A years rego for you car is around $200 and a warrant about the same. I don't live in the city so I can't give you exact figures on city living cost but I'm just in a town with only about 5-6 thousand people and it's pretty hard just trying to get by here.

If there's any other cost you might wanna know just leave a message and I'll try get as much info as possible. Hope this helps

Latest posts