• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

a few questions to locksley or umosay.

I

idrisguitar

yeah i just wanted to know how you feel about the longevity of the game now that you have had it and played it for a while. do you still get excited over playing it.

i mean for example pes series is a great addictive game that in my opinion never gets boring.

i thought wcr would be a similar experience with all the hype from trevorr and ian but it turned it rather poor. (plus pes is a simulation.....wcr is arcade)

i am very excited but want to know whether it is worth buying or will a week rental do it.

are you still seeing new animation or new little things that make you smile? i understand how hard it is for rugby games to be as good as pes, or american sports games but from your review it sound like they have made a game that will last......do you still stand by your initial views....as sometime playing for longer can change your opinion.

also can anyone point me in the direction of a video that is shwon in the side camera angle....as i have only seen classic views (i think)

thanks. i apologize if all this has been asked before (i did have a good look through three pages of topics)

For starters i haven't played the game at all, people think i have :?

Kinkon could help answer, as he has the ps2 demo now.

Sorry i can't help you with this one.

well to be honest i thought u had the game too.
Anyways how come kinkon already has the demo? i want it too
<
lol

sorry lookin through the threads i had the impression you had i.
<

yeah so if there is a demo out there it should be on a fe wmags in the next few weeks surely? (or in the next week!) so i will look around (im in the uk)

thanks though

Originally posted by umosay@Feb 21 2005, 11:10 AM
kinkon got the demo from gameswizard in aus when he pre-ordered
kinkon

can u pls tell us if u have the ps2 demo, and u got it from games wizards

i'll go there today if thats the case

He does, trust me.

You have to pre-order the game first to get the demo and other r2005 stuff.

Originally posted by umosay@Feb 21 2005, 11:43 AM
He does, trust me.

You have to pre-order the game first to get the demo and other r2005 stuff.
i hope they have some left

i am going at lunch

But you haven't pre-ordered the game have you?

Interesting to see how you go....

good luck.
<

Originally posted by idrisguitar@Feb 21 2005, 08:48 AM
are you still seeing new animation or new little things that make you smile?
idris, welcome to the forum, in case no one has welcome'd you yet.

Valid is spelt with an 'i,' but you know this. Check JJ's or Umo's site or any of the early vid topics (should be pinned at the top) for side view stuff (sideview is anything from the 'demo' or 'Bulls v Sharks' in the ***le.)

I've quoted what I thought was a brilliant question and I second the idea of hearing stuff from anyone in the know -- is there something catching your eye every now and again?

Originally posted by idrisguitar@Feb 21 2005, 08:48 AM
yeah i just wanted to know how you feel about the longevity of the game now that you have had it and played it for a while. do you still get excited over playing it.

i mean for example pes series is a great addictive game that in my opinion never gets boring.

i thought wcr would be a similar experience with all the hype from trevorr and ian but it turned it rather poor. (plus pes is a simulation.....wcr is arcade)

i am very excited but want to know whether it is worth buying or will a week rental do it.

are you still seeing new animation or new little things that make you smile? i understand how hard it is for rugby games to be as good as pes, or american sports games but from your review it sound like they have made a game that will last......do you still stand by your initial views....as sometime playing for longer can change your opinion.

also can anyone point me in the direction of a video that is shwon in the side camera angle....as i have only seen classic views (i think)

thanks. i apologize if all this has been asked before (i did have a good look through three pages of topics)

Right, if I'm being really honest now, I'm more than a little bored with the single player game! On normal mode, I'm scoring the same type of tries, my defence is well up to scratch and "nilling"the opposition is an alarming regularity.

For Example, an hour ago I started a Ten Nations tournament on the normal difficulty level, 5 minute halves, as Ireland! My first 3 matches were England, South Africa and New Zealand! the scores were as follows; 31-7 (Penalty try to England after a collapsed scrum), 24-0 and 33-0! Now this to me, is a bit annoying! So I quit that tournament and had a one off match, as Ireland, against Argentina on "Hard" mode!

The game in hard mode is just that.... HARD! So hard in fact that it seems unplayable! You CANNOT make ANY kind of break on it! Not ONCE did I break the line.... or win a lineout.... or win a scrum! The only good things were that my defence was top notch and turnovers were kept to a minimum, other than that, I could have played the match on hard for 24 hours and neither team would've scored! That. to me, is not very enjoyable, so I stuck it back on normal mode!

I suppose the answer to your question is yes and no!!! Yes, I get excited when I play the game in multiplayer mode (especially 2 on 2), but no, I'm not to bothered about playing the single player game anymore!

On a side note, after long continuous play, the sidestep and shoulder charge may as well not be there! They're pretty useless to be honest! Every now and again I've handed off a couple of would be tacklers, but I've NEVER stepped around the AI! I have in multi-player mode, but that's probably because the human player doesn't follow a set defence pattern and can be fooled by stepping!

Originally posted by Los Lover@Feb 21 2005, 12:41 PM
But you haven't pre-ordered the game have you?

Interesting to see how you go....

good luck.
<
no luck

they ran out

i didnt even have to pre-order either

the guy said "we had heaps over the weekend but now they are all gone, we only have fight night 2005 demos" - in which i could have grabbed for free but i already have it.

then i went to EB and asked them........March 17 in australia still........we dont have a demo, but we will once the games released WELL F** ME SIDEWAYS, WHAT GOOD IS THAT WHEN THE FULL GAME IS OUT...................EB ARE SERIOUSLY LOST IN THIS INDUSTRY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I am now back in GT4 mode - after reading a review on the weekend 10/10, best looking game on ps2, and race fans would be clinically insane to miss out

Originally posted by locksley+Feb 21 2005, 01:08 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (locksley @ Feb 21 2005, 01:08 PM)</div>
<!--QuoteBegin-idrisguitar
@Feb 21 2005, 08:48 AM

Right, if I'm being really honest now, I'm more than a little bored with the single player game! On normal mode, I'm scoring the same type of tries, my defence is well up to scratch and "nilling"the opposition is an alarming regularity.

For Example, an hour ago I started a Ten Nations tournament on the normal difficulty level, 5 minute halves, as Ireland! My first 3 matches were England, South Africa and New Zealand! the scores were as follows; 31-7 (Penalty try to England after a collapsed scrum), 24-0 and 33-0! Now this to me, is a bit annoying! So I quit that tournament and had a one off match, as Ireland, against Argentina on "Hard" mode!

The game in hard mode is just that.... HARD! So hard in fact that it seems unplayable! You CANNOT make ANY kind of break on it! Not ONCE did I break the line.... or win a lineout.... or win a scrum! The only good things were that my defence was top notch and turnovers were kept to a minimum, other than that, I could have played the match on hard for 24 hours and neither team would've scored! That. to me, is not very enjoyable, so I stuck it back on normal mode!

I suppose the answer to your question is yes and no!!! Yes, I get excited when I play the game in multiplayer mode (especially 2 on 2), but no, I'm not to bothered about playing the single player game anymore!

On a side note, after long continuous play, the sidestep and shoulder charge may as well not be there! They're pretty useless to be honest! Every now and again I've handed off a couple of would be tacklers, but I've NEVER stepped around the AI! I have in multi-player mode, but that's probably because the human player doesn't follow a set defence pattern and can be fooled by stepping!
[/b]
I think you need to play better against hard - I have watched some of the play in the videos and think, all respect, it could be better.

I am only (mostly) going to play single player as this is the measure of a game anyway (if it's good then multi-player is always good - multiplayer being good doesn't make a game) so if you say Hard is too hard I'm sure utter skill will eventually break it down and make tries etc really satisfying.

For example - how much would you win a hard level game on rugby 2004 between, say, NZ and England with out pumped-up players over ten minutes? Could you rack up several tries? B/C I find it no challenge at all to do so....

Also - you say step doesn't work against AI - but on one of the videos Sailor runs back at the defensive line at full speed and just steps straight through it and out the other side like a knife through warm butter......I love everything you've done with the videos and the endless assistance - it's been amazing - but I question whether you push the D enough, kick too much and time the step etc correctly.

Sorry, but the AI etc has to be good IMO to buy this......If you say hard is "impossible" - I am looking forward to it. You say you lose every scrum and maul etc yet when you were first playing it you stated that the bar made no sense etc when it was obviously a representation of the colours of each team fighting for possession. Like JLR etc I am sure I can win possession on hard.

Is it possible that you have played normal for too long and thus hard seems too frustrating..? I mean normal!! Shouldn't you have started on hard.

<<5. Do the defensive changes with the D-Pad work well and does the AI do well in countering them (ie going wide if you call the close defence etc.)

The D-pad defence system works fine, but the AI on normal doesn't really seem to take advantage!>>

Stop playing normal...
You are getting too used to endless tries and thus judging hard in a harsher light because you are ignoring the thrill of a decent challenge. Just a thought.

Originally posted by Los Lover+Feb 21 2005, 01:29 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Los Lover @ Feb 21 2005, 01:29 PM)</div>
Originally posted by locksley@Feb 21 2005, 01:08 PM
<!--QuoteBegin-idrisguitar
@Feb 21 2005, 08:48 AM

I think you need to play better against hard - I have watched some of the play in the videos and think, all respect, it could be better.

I am only (mostly) going to play single player as this is the measure of a game anyway (if it's good then multi-player is always good - multiplayer being good doesn't make a game) so if you say Hard is too hard I'm sure utter skill will eventually break it down and make tries etc really satisfying.

For example - how much would you win a hard level game on rugby 2004 between, say, NZ and England with out pumped-up players over ten minutes? Could you rack up several tries? B/C I find it no challenge at all to do so....

Also - you say step doesn't work against AI - but on one of the videos Sailor runs back at the defensive line at full speed and just steps straight through it and out the other side like a knife through warm butter......I love everything you've done with the videos and the endless assistance - it's been amazing - but I question whether you push the D enough, kick too much and time the step etc correctly.

Sorry, but the AI etc has to be good IMO to buy this......If you say hard is "impossible" - I am looking forward to it. You say you lose every scrum and maul etc yet when you were first playing it you stated that the bar made no sense etc when it was obviously a representation of the colours of each team fighting for possession. Like JLR etc I am sure I can win possession on hard.

Is it possible that you have played normal for too long and thus hard seems too frustrating..? I mean normal!! Shouldn't you have started on hard. [/b]

Fair point! BUT, don't forget, when I'm capturing video onto my PC, the preview window is a tiny bit bigger than a mobile phone screen! I seriously cannot play the game anywhere near as good on that as I can on my TV! Also, I'm pretty useless using the side view anyway.... but the severe lack of size on the preview capture window makes this even worse!

so if you say Hard is too hard I'm sure utter skill will eventually break it down and make tries etc really satisfying.

You could well be right! I'm quite a patient man, but Hard mode tested my patience a bit too much! I simply couldn't gain any ground whatsoever on hard mode!

I used to play on Hard mode all the time as France! The only thing hard about 2004's hard mode was the fact that you lost the ball at the ruck all the time! However, I frequently wrapped up 60, 70 odd points to nil scorelines, even on hard mode! To be honest, that's no big achievement considering how easy Rugby 2004 was in any mode!

Also - you say step doesn't work against AI - but on one of the videos Sailor runs back at the defensive line at full speed and just steps straight through it and out the other side like a knife through warm butter......

True, very true! It's a lot easier to step on the side view! I play using the classic 2 view tho, and stepping is so damn hard to pull off right in this view! Stepping is awesome in the training modes, but when it comes to a match, it hardly ever works! (On classic view at least)

I love everything you've done with the videos and the endless assistance - it's been amazing

Thanks very much! -

but I question whether you push the D enough, kick too much and time the step etc correctly.

Hmmmm, please elaborate!

You say you lose every scrum and maul etc yet when you were first playing it you stated that the bar made no sense etc when it was obviously a representation of the colours of each team fighting for possession.

Hmmm, You know what, you'd think the bar meant that wouldn't you! I'm not to sure how to read it tho! Sometimes the bar fills up with your oppositions colour and you win the ruck/scrum! Other times, it's filled with your colours and you still win the ruck/scrum! I have no instructions, so I don't know what it means really!

Like JLR etc I am sure I can win possession on hard.

I don't doubt it! You sound like a very, ahem, modest gamer, who's confident in his own ability!

Haha!!

That last comment was a sever burn!!! LOL!!

But, yes I know I'm good at these games because my training is relentless and I only play sport games - I SUCK at everything else.

You say step is better on side view and I play side view - Soooooo I am stoked.
Let this be a lesson to those who didn't train up and adjust to JLR side view. I think you should change Locksley...

<<Fair point! BUT, don't forget, when I'm capturing video onto my PC, the preview window is a tiny bit bigger than a mobile phone screen! I seriously cannot play the game anywhere near as good on that as I can on my TV! Also, I'm pretty useless using the side view anyway.... but the severe lack of size on the preview capture window makes this even worse!
>>

OK..Oooohhhhhhhh - I didn't realise any of this at all!!!!! Now I am really heartened as I can understand why you got nervous within five metres of the touchline...you felt like you were right by it....Same with gaps on side view from that far away!!! All in all you played very well then..

Wahooooooooo! I am excited again. The tube on my widescreen better prepare itself for hard core rugby....

PS - I realise I must sound quite arrogant talking matter-of-factly about being very good at the rugby games...but against the computer and ALL my friends I am the best. Is lance Armstrong allowed to say he is good at cycling? Of course.

LOL!!
<

wo Los, 101 posts in 4 days, congrats haha all in r2005 section, ever care to talk about s12 or anything?

i was lucky cos the games wizard i went to is a quite one! its in a factory type of area where the guys who work there play rugby inside with a footy waiting for customers who neva come!

they gave me heaps of freebeez.....like they've neva seen a customer b4!

lol

Originally posted by kinkon89@Feb 21 2005, 04:31 PM
i was lucky cos the games wizard i went to is a quite one! its in a factory type of area where the guys who work there play rugby inside with a footy waiting for customers who neva come!

they gave me heaps of freebeez.....like they've neva seen a customer b4!

lol
Where is this? I'm there!

Latest posts