• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

A league noob

B

Black-Monday

I am very much a noob when it comes to league, they always say it is faster and more furious than union but I have always stuck to union, but with it now being a summer sport league is starting to intrigue me.

I watched the tri nations a bit last yeat but that is where it ends.

So how do I try and get into the game, both playing and watching.

Where to see it on tv etc....? Also I have always wanted a game of league but my school is a union stalwart, so where do you get a taster. Are there many u-16 clubs knocking about or is union for juniors, then get approached to play league?

Any help would be appreciated.

BM

i think you shud have a season of playing league...its very exciting to play.....i like the variety of things to do in rugby i guess thats why i like it more

but if you want to get into league...play it and understand it better,or just wait for the state of origin series and you will see it at its most energetic

league is a terrific sport and the athletes are second to none, but i think it lacks the fundamental ideas of rugby. It lacks forward play and tactics such as a kicking game. It more like the nfl.

Originally posted by loratadine@Apr 15 2006, 10:12 AM
league is a terrific sport and the athletes are second to none, but i think it lacks the fundamental ideas of rugby. It lacks forward play and tactics such as a kicking game. It more like the nfl.
League isn't like NFL, but you're right about it being less multifaceted than union... but that is sorta the point of league. It tries to enphasise the crowd pleasing aspects of the game, like the running, big hit tackles and try scoring, and avoids getting caught up in the contest for the ball. Also, while it doesn't have a tactical kicking game in the same sense as union, it certainly does have a one, only it is completely geared towards attacking plays, and due to the emphasis on it in league I would argue that league halves are several times more precise and creative than their union counterparts in producing attacking kicks that create try scoring opportunities (just watch some footage of Andrew Johns). Seriously, so many attacking kick plays in league are astonishing! One of my favourates was Freddie Fittler in the 04 GF, looking like he was shaping for a grubber, sends a precision slice off the side of the boot in the opposite direction that the winger was perfectly in place for and scores! It was clearly a set play and the opposition didn't know what had happened!

Originally posted by St Helens RLFC+Apr 15 2006, 07:09 PM-->
<!--QuoteBegin-loratadine
@Apr 15 2006, 12:12 AM
It lacks forward play
:huh: [/b]
It lacks forward play in the Union sense... They basically just cart the ball forward in league, but in doing so are also very important in creating a platform and making quick play the balls possible. But yeah, silly comment lora.

I know that forward play is more important than in union as there is far less creative ability in the sport.

But to say league lacks forward play.... try telling that to Shane Webke or Stuart Fielden. Bad move Lora... they will halve your neck.

Originally posted by St Helens RLFC@Apr 15 2006, 07:27 PM
I know that forward play is more important than in union as there is far less creative ability in the sport.

But to say league lacks forward play.... try telling that to Shane Webke or Stuart Fielden. Bad move Lora... they will halve your neck.
Yeah exactly, saying that you league lacks forward play would mean that you could win games by filling a team with quick backs. You can't... You need those big men there to do the heavy defensive work and make the hard yards.

lets stick league forwards into a union scrum and lets see whos a forward.

i like league, it is a good sport, but i just think its not as structured as union.

Well my search for a club has been unsuccessful so far, The only league is in Manchester and the clubs are all salford way, a good hour away.

So next season I'll look to join a union club, then try for a few trials.

BM

Originally posted by loratadine@Apr 16 2006, 08:53 AM
lets stick league forwards into a union scrum and lets see whos a forward.

Bloody hell Lora, you're still not getting it are you? Of course League forwards would suck at union (well most of em, but Brad Thorn made the All Blacks), but I'd bet my house that most union forwards would be pretty useless in league because they don't have anything like the stamina or running power! League forwards are generally way faster than union forwards and are a heck of a lot fitter.

The job of a forward is different in both codes. Know what I mean?

yes, so theres no real arguement is there south africa new zealand and australia

Yeah, not really... Though I'm still a little upset that you'd say league is more like NFL than union .... that made me shudder :rahh: .

id like to see some union forwards play league

id like to see shalk burger,jerry collins,chris masoe,phil waugh,scott fava,nick williams play in the frontrows...there are a whole heap of union players that could make great league players

mose tuialii,jerome kaino,rodney sooialo,george smith,richie mccaw would make great loosies

union forwards have better finesse tho..there workrate and general game work ethic is much better than leagues...id expect to see union forwards last longer than the average nrl forward

Originally posted by THE CHIROPRACTOR101@Apr 16 2006, 01:49 PM

union forwards have better finesse tho..there workrate and general game work ethic is much better than leagues...id expect to see union forwards last longer than the average nrl forward
I doubt it... Union forwards have better strength in a lot of cases I'd say, but aren't required to run anything close to the amount of distance a league forward would cover. There's interchange sure, but I doubt there'd be too many union players who'd have the stamina to play 80 mins of an Origin match like Fitzgibbon or Hindmarsh! They would just run out of puff because there are rarely any stoppages in play that go for more than 30 seconds (the odd knock on etc).

cmon now...the work rate that union forwards have to do is much higher than any of that of a league players

union forwards move in packs,zigzaggin around the field,up and down the field,every part of the field is eventually covered by forwards...leagueys is just up and down constantly..union players can do that...they would rather do that then run zigzag up and down the field the whole game

on the finesse based point...union players do much much more than just run and tackle

take your hindmarsh and fitzgibbon..they run and tackle 80minutes in a game without subs...george smith and richie mccaw run,tackle,counter ruck,maul,scrum,contest everything that is happening pretty much every full professional game they have ever played

i dont think fitzgibbon could keep up with mccaw or smith,or waugh or holah or burger and there work rate and what they do...that is if he was a union player or adapted to the game

The jobs of union forwards are more varied, and I appreciate the point you're trying to make, but seriously the amount of stoppage time in union is many many more times than that of in league! Think about it, every time the ball gets cleared from a 22 all the players can slowly walk to the line out, and it's effectively a 1 or 2 min break... every time a penelty goal is taken there is effectively a 2 or 3 min break. You just don't get that in League, the players have to be moving almost constantly and as a result their stamina is generally better.

u just said it...its more varied,there are more things in rugby that demand more from the human body than league...breaks schmakes...league forwards get there 15 minute breaks on the sideline

rugby union forwards do much more than league forwards...its a fact,and the demands of league are easier to meet then rugby union

fitness???...sure you can run all day,its the effectiveness that counts in the end...and its evident that union forwards do more than just run and tackle...go back 10 metres and repeat for 80 minutes..union players do much more than that...tending to rucks and mauls are very absorbing and mccaw,smith or any of the world class flanker has much more stamina,finesse and skills than the best of league forwards

in the end...from 1st hand experience..rugby union is far harder interms of playing then league..i guess thats why i like it much better as its open'ended in someways of playing..where league is win by the same principle every weekend

Meh, I personally found league tougher on my fitness because you have to keep back the 10 all the time and you get hit so much harder, but I only ever played in the backs... But how many union forwards have made it big in league? I can't really think of any, but I know that Brad Thorn made the All Blacks.

Latest posts