• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

A new scoring system!

Prescotian

Academy Player
Country Flag
England
I do not know much about rugby union but do enjoy watching occasionally. I go three or four times a year to watch Cinderford in Nat league 1.

I am proposing a change to the scoring regime regarding penalties as follows:

Every penalty wherever given on the field of play should see the sinned against team automatically receive ONE POINT

If the sinned against team decide to kick for goal then they receive an extra TWO POINTS if successful.

If they choose not to kick for goal they just carry on with a ground gaining kick etc.

• It would not stop play to award the ONE POINT
  • It would only need a ref's signal to that effect
  • It would discourage foul play in the opposition half as a delaying tactic

What do you think?

This isn't a completely stupid idea. I understand the reasons behind it, mainly in a bid to reduce the number of penalties given away, because a certain point would be gained by the opposition.

Overall, I'm not a big fan of changing the rules for change sake. I feel the points system is quite well balanced atm (although I wouldn't be against drop goals being reduced to 2 points).

I do not know much about rugby union but do enjoy watching occasionally. I go three or four times a year to watch Cinderford in Nat league 1.

I am proposing a change to the scoring regime regarding penalties as follows:

Every penalty wherever given on the field of play should see the sinned against team automatically receive ONE POINT

If the sinned against team decide to kick for goal then they receive an extra TWO POINTS if successful.

If they choose not to kick for goal they just carry on with a ground gaining kick etc.

• It would not stop play to award the ONE POINT
  • It would only need a ref's signal to that effect
  • It would
    discourage foul play in the opposition half as a delaying tactic

What do you think?

Interesting. And could you tell me what you think about my suggestion of automatic 22m advance. (If a PK is awarded, the PK side can advance 22m without touch-kick. The PK side does line-out from either touch-line they choose.)

One 2 points? What is this rugby league? Netball? Aussie Rules? Scoring system is fine as it is. If you do not like it there is always 7's and rugby league.

Here we are trying to get referees less influential in games and yet you are trying to get more involve in actually having a influence on the points scoring system. You know what actually will help? Bringing back controlled rucking. That would give more quick ball and less forwards clogging up the midfield. But points is fine. If you do not want to concede 3 points to not break the laws inside range of the posts. YOu want more 7 pointers counter up superior tactics or get someone like McCaw and co to hold defenders back of the ball.

So in theory, you could win 10+ points on a single possession by keeping the ball, turning down PKs, racking up the 1-pointers, until a try can be scored?

I think it's an important aspect of rugby that scoring means you have to work back up the field to score again...

So in theory, you could win 10+ points on a single possession by keeping the ball, turning down PKs, racking up the 1-pointers, until a try can be scored?

I think it's an important aspect of rugby that scoring means you have to work back up the field to score again...
what if you get through after 7 penalties? 14 pointer? We might see basketball scores lol

Latest posts