• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

A Question re London Irish

R

RoyalBlueStuey

When the three clubs merged why did they plump to be called London Irish? Were Scottish and Richmond in much worse positions.

It's always puzzled me 'cause the name Richmond was even more venerable and famous and much more inclusive.

They did use all three names - they took the "London" from London Scottish, the "Irish" from "London Irish", and "Rugby Club" from Richmond!!!

Actually I believe they were forced by the RFU to merg, and created a company "Irish, Scottish, Richmond Ltd" to run a single team - and although they incorporated a band around the arm with the Richmond and Scottish colours, they were called London Irish.

Richmond's website doesn't even make mention of this - they simply say they went into administration in 1999 and their right to playin the premier division was removed. Say they didn't reform until "Richmond Vikings Ltd" re-financed them in 2002.

I think it was a bit like Hull and Gateshead rugby league teams merging when Hull were in danger of disappearing ... and they called the merged team "Hull" - must have been up all night thinking up that one!!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/London_Irish
London_Irish.gif

This might give you some insight...

Info on OIrish fans... They all watch their club singing "Fields of Athenry" before watching a six nations game and sing "Swing Low, Sweet Chariot"

Ahem... Make your bloody mind up!

I think it's a bit of a shame that Richmond is no long represented in the name...it's place in sporting history is truly unique.

I mean if London Irish were in a strong financial position and they rescued the other two then fair enough but it's sad if it was just 'cause being Irish is a bit trendier.

SB

Latest posts