• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Adding the Lions Tour game mode to Rugby 08 in 2021

jim546

Bench Player
Country Flag
Wales
Club or Nation
Cardiff
I've been reading an old thread on this forum regarding the Lions Tour tournament in R08. The game has most of the required files for this in-place but needs some slight tweaking to get this activated. Unfortunately all the old file links on the old forum post are dead.

To activate these modes the Tournament Menu file from R06 can be added to the file containing R08's menus. I've attached below a (hopefully) working mod that enables this, it adds the Lions Tour and Ten Nations tournament. I've also added proper schedules for the Lions Tours to make them functional and some menu art files (.fsh files).

I've tested the Lions tours and each one seems to be playable. Unfortunately the game seems to have a hard-lock on how many matches can occur in each tour, so I've had to add/remove teams from the schedules to make it playable (no Japan warm-up in the SA tour, and Argentina added as first warm-up in the NZ tour to replace broken NZ Maori in-game).

I haven't tested the Ten Nations tournament much, it seems to work but you may need to remove the file 91e991257478c2d4c5c47a5cbca07e51.rsg from your modded version of R08.

This has been tested with ama1's roster mod, which has a working B&I Lions team included: https://www.therugbyforum.com/threads/trf-21-patch.47565/

Untitled.png Untitled2.png

The original thread is here: https://www.therugbyforum.com/threads/how-to-unlock-the-b-i-lions-tour-in-rugby08.12999/

Attachments

• Lions tour.zip
    194.6 KB · Views: 108
I got a runtime error when I selected to start playing SA tour. What should i do?

It happens after i select the difficulty and half time length. When I press continue I get this error
EDIT: No, just replicated the runtime error elsewhere, I'll look into it further.

Last edited:
It happens after i select the difficulty and half time length. When I press continue I get this error
Is it just the SA tour or all the tours? What roster mod are you using? I've managed to get the game to give me a runtime error when loading the screen after the tour selection menu, the next screen is the Lions squad selection. I've tried this on a clean version of R08, it might be that your roster hasn't got a working BI Lions team in it.

Modifying the team list made the game load up the Joburg Lions Super squad in place of the BILions and the runtime crashing stopped when I switched to automatic squad selection (ie skips the crashing screen) but the game crashes when loading the first match.

Is it just the SA tour or all the tours? What roster mod are you using? I've managed to get the game to give me a runtime error when loading the screen after the tour selection menu, the next screen is the Lions squad selection. I've tried this on a clean version of R08, it might be that your roster hasn't got a working BI Lions team in it.

Modifying the team list made the game load up the Joburg Lions Super squad in place of the BILions and the runtime crashing stopped when I switched to automatic squad selection (ie skips the crashing screen) but the game crashes when loading the first match.
It happens with AUS and NZL aswell. Im using Ama1 Rugby 21 patch with the latest roster and updated faces

Im using Ama1 Rugby 21 patch with the latest roster and updated faces
From further testing this afternoon, I'd say the roster you're using doesn't have the BI Lions enabled or there's an error in one of the files. Do they appear in exhibition mode as a playable team in internationals/representative?

Check the file be29****.xml and check if BI Lions are activated in there, they are team 101 on line 93. You may also need to check line 195 of dc371*****.english to see if it lists "Lions" or "B & I Lions", it should say "B & I Lions", that is the root of the crash as far as I can tell. Without changing this the game confuses the two "Lions" teams for each other and crashes on the squad select page in tournament mode.

Alternatively try downloading the most recent version of ama1's mod again and start from scratch using it & the custom faces (I'm using them in my game with no issues).

EDIT: Also v 1.1 of ths mod to add the "no warmup" fixtures, I forgot them in first release.

Attachments

• Lions Tour.zip
    196.4 KB · Views: 31
Last edited:
From further testing this afternoon, I'd say the roster you're using doesn't have the BI Lions enabled or there's an error in one of the files. Do they appear in exhibition mode as a playable team in internationals/representative?

Check the file be29****.xml and check if BI Lions are activated in there, they are team 101 on line 93. You may also need to check line 195 of dc371*****.english to see if it lists "Lions" or "B & I Lions", it should say "B & I Lions", that is the root of the crash as far as I can tell. Without changing this the game confuses the two "Lions" teams for each other and crashes on the squad select page in tournament mode.

Alternatively try downloading the most recent version of ama1's mod again and start from scratch using it & the custom faces (I'm using them in my game with no issues).
Ok thanks, i'll check

I checked it is activated in the be29... file and I think its right in the dc371.... it says "Lions". But i still get that runtime error. Maybe its the roster because the B&I Lions is not in my play now menu. Or can it be my profile?

Jim546 Thank you for this Update Lions Tour works perfectly
Ten Nations working only menu showing European league teamsEA SPORTS™ Rugby 08 20_09_2021 13_03_45.png

I checked it is activated in the be29... file and I think its right in the dc371.... it says "Lions". But i still get that runtime error. Maybe its the roster because the B&I Lions is not in my play now menu. Or can it be my profile?
It should say "B & I Lions" in the .english file, NOT just "Lions". If it says "Lions" the game will crash on the squad select screen. I'd recommend re-downloading ama1's mod as the most recent version has BI Lions team enabled and working already for exhibition mode, then install the custom heads and this tournament mod.

Untitled2.png Untitled.png

Jim546 Thank you for this Update Lions Tour works perfectly
Ten Nations working only menu showing European league teams
I still haven't done much testing, as far as I can see the matches/teams load ok?

Last edited:
It should say "B & I Lions" in the .english file, NOT just "Lions". If it says "Lions" the game will crash on the squad select screen. I'd recommend re-downloading ama1's mod as the most recent version has BI Lions team enabled and working already for exhibition mode, then install the custom heads and this tournament mod.

View attachment 12253 View attachment 12254

I still haven't done much testing, as far as I can see the matches/teams load ok?
It finally works! Thanks. I went back to the b29 file. I saw that it was in the representative group and not international. I changed it to international. I also went back to the dc file and renamed it. The tour works now and they are also in the Play Now menu.

I'm having problems when I face Ireland in the Ten's Tournament it always crashes when loading, I've checked my roaster and all that

Latest posts