• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Age Grade Squad Sizes

Steve_Smith94

Academy Player
Morning all. I'm wondering if there are any other age grade coaches on here. I coach an U13s team at a fairly small club in Cambridgeshire and regularly come up against a squad size issue. As a small club we have a decent number on our books - 24. With the inevitable absentees, we normally have around 19. At U13s this is a starting 13 with 6 subs.

The issue is that we play a lot of bigger clubs that have 30+. This means that we effectively play 2 teams. We have a really good team and are normally up against these teams until the last 10-15 mins, where we become tiered and eventually are overhauled. This is becoming an issue for our boys and frustrating to the coaches. I don't feel its a fitness issue, just playing fresh players when we naturally tire.

This seems hugely unfair and I cannot understand why the RFU doesn't have a squad size limit to provide an equal contest. Anyone else experienced this? Anyone have any suggestions on how to tackle this?

Cheers,

Steve

This seems hugely unfair and I cannot understand why the RFU doesn't have a squad size limit to provide an equal contest.
Rephrase this as "I cannot understand why the RFU isn't forcing clubs to deny young players the opportunity to play for their local club" and you have your answer. All it would do is kill off chances for new players to get involved in the game.

It's U13s. Inclusivity takes priority over competitiveness.

Rephrase this as "I cannot understand why the RFU isn't forcing clubs to deny young players the opportunity to play for their local club" and you have your answer. All it would do is kill off chances for new players to get involved in the game.

It's U13s. Inclusivity takes priority over competitiveness.
I do know what you mean and I agree that it should be inclusive. However, if you have that many players, why not run two squads and 2 fixtures. We need to level the playing field to avoid smaller clubs losing players as they are getting frustrated sadly.

There has to be a way forward to promote fairness.

Might "loaner" players work? or would that cause too much upset?
I'm sure the bigger clubs do put out multiple teams at age grade - but at what point does a club have enough players predictably turning up to be worth the extra hassle of arranging and adulting the extra fixtures, with minimal risk of pulling out?

I'm sure more can be done, but I'm also sure there's no easy answer.

The player guidelines state that players must get at least half a match this is generally only applied to cup fixtures but it is the spirit of player development and good practice so maybe discuss limiting changes with the oppo and ensuring that they limit the travelling squad size to 26. I have noted some very successful sides actually pairing back the subs to a minimum so they don't have to make too many changes in cup matches, I don't agree with this either as it limits player development. Failing that get your boys fitter more midweek training.

Look at ways of increasing participation at your club. At 13-16 kids will go where there mates do. Keeping banging on to your players about getting there mates down. Look at promoting the club. I. I'm sure you do a lot of it any way but the key is keep at it constantly.

One great way to get more kids to your team is to organise a non rugby activity like laser tag and invite the players to bring a friend who might play its a great way to get them to know the group which is often the biggest hurdle being the guy who is new

Latest posts