• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

All Black wife basher?

T

The TRUTH

Interim name suppression for rugby international

2.00pm Monday August 21, 2006

A rugby international has been given two days' grace before name suppression is lifted, to tell his father he is facing charges in court over an alleged domestic incident.

The suppression request was granted by Judge Stephen Erber in Christchurch District Court today when the man appeared on charges of assaulting a woman, possession of an offensive weapon, and threatening to kill.

Judge Erber remanded him on bail for a week, but said the interim suppression order would lapse at midday on Wednesday.

The man denies the charges and is due to appear at a status hearing on September 12.

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/section/story.cf...jectID=10397301

- NZPA
[/b]

Any ideas on who it could be this time?

Doubt if it is AB....probably Samoan International or something living in NZ........

....AB lawyers are very powerful.

Well it is a very good idea to not mention names guys. Remember all the other name suppressions we have ignored in the past... And I don't think it will be a very big name at all. May not even play Super 14 as it didn't mention that.

The press love to exagerate. Could even just be a crappy 7s player for some island country that we have never heard of. Best just to wait 2 days because its really unfair to pluckout names and point the finger at what could be an innocent person, and if you really do know who it is when then to tell us is unfortunately illegal.

You would think it would be a Canterbury player seeing as it was held in Christchurch but none of the Crusader AB's strike me as the wife beating type.

The Aussie Rules forum i post on was all over the news last week for spreading a rumour about some Geelong players ... and even though it's great way to get free publicity i agree that we probably shouldn't mention any names just yet..... even though there has already been names mentioned on other sites.

I guess we'll all find out on Wednesday.

Anger at name suppression for rugby player
22 August 2006 
By DEAN CALCOTT and JANINE BENNETTS

Anti-violence organisations are unhappy that another high-profile sportsman has been granted name suppression in a domestic-violence case.

A former international rugby player appeared in the Christchurch District Court yesterday on charges related to alleged domestic violence.

The man, who denies charges of male assaults female, possessing an offensive weapon and threatening to kill, was granted interim name suppression by Judge Stephen Erber and remanded on bail to a status hearing on September 12.

The manager of the National Collective of Independent Women's Refuges, Heather Henare, said people looked up to sports stars, who should own up to their mistakes.

"If it's good enough for Mr Brown-down-the-road's name to be dragged through the papers, then they shouldn't be treated any differently," she said.

"We want to see the court system taking the opportunity with these positions to be actually saying it doesn't matter who they are, violence happens in every family throughout the country."

Henare said sports stars who acknowledged their guilt could use the experience as "an opportunity to turn it around and learn from it and move forward as opposed to hiding behind a smokescreen and not taking action".

AdvertisementAdvertisementIf players were found not guilty, it would not be a problem for their careers.

An Auckland judge this month granted a blanket suppression order for a former rugby league star facing rape allegations that will continue until trial next year.

A woman alleges the former player raped, sexually violated and sodomised her on June 15.

In February last year, an All Black was granted permanent name suppression despite pleading guilty to assaulting his pregnant partner.

National Stopping Violence Services chief executive Brian Gardner said he did not have a problem with name suppression being granted to protect the victim.

However, withholding someone's name because they were well known was not a good reason.

"The nature of family violence is that it's secret and it's behind closed doors and it's really important to expose it," he said.

"If you're violent and abuse your partner or your wife, you won't get protection because you're good at rugby," Gardner remarked.

He said suppression for the wrong reasons gave people an excuse not to own up to their behaviour and change.

Battered Women's Trust manager Lichelle O'Connell said the impact of domestic violence on women and children was devastating.

"Perpetrators of domestic violence need to be held accountable, the consequences need to be enforced and the protection of victims should be paramount," O'Connell said.

"We need to be careful not to condone and perpetuate domestic violence by allowing the secrecy to continue."
[/b]

http://www.stuff.co.nz/stuff/0,2106,3772163a12855,00.html

just thought i would add that

and its only for a day so he can tell his dad before it goes public. fair enough i say

Originally posted by ..::ERIC::..@Aug 22 2006, 01:55 PM
The press love to exagerate.
yes indeed they do..... "lote tiquiri extremely reckless spear tackle" springs to mind

that was the truth though.

they do exagerate alright and it proabbly isn't anyone high profile at all. anything to get a story though.

"...A former international rugby player appeared in the Christchurch..."

This is the vital part of the article. If it was a former All Black they would have said that. I would expect that it is a player from another country who is based in Christchurch. You'd expect that they would still be playing as well.

Name suppression is very important as it protects the person that is being charged from adverse publicity that is disproportinate from the crime. After all the charged person has to be afforded the presumption that they are innocent until proven otherwise.

If a fraudulent charge is levelled at a high-profile player it has the potential to destroy, or seriously hinder their career and earning capacity.

The Woman's refuge organisations are just going to have to deal with it and I don't think having temporary name suppression is going to make much of a difference.

But if the alleged wife-beater is guilty then he should get his beans. Hitting a woman is inexcusable.

Rugby international seeks continued name secrecy

1.00pm Wednesday August 23, 2006

Appeal papers have been filed in a bid to prevent the lifting of name suppression on a rugby international facing charges relating to a domestic violence incident.

Christchurch District Court Judge Stephen Erber granted the man name suppression on Monday.

He issued an interim order to run for 48 hours, due to expire at midday today, so the man could tell his father that he was facing charges of assaulting a woman, possession of an offensive weapon, and threatening to kill.

Since then, the district court has received appeal papers relating to the suppression order and its lifting -- this means that the order will remain in place until a hearing is held in the High Court at Christchurch.

The file has not yet been sent on to the High Court for a hearing date to be set.

The man denies the charges and the case is set for a District Court status hearing on September 12.

- NZPA

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/section/story.cf...jectid=10397678

Originally posted by InsaneAsylum+Aug 22 2006, 02:51 PM-->
<!--QuoteBegin-..::ERIC::..
@Aug 22 2006, 01:55 PM
yes indeed they do..... "lote tiquiri extremely reckless spear tackle" springs to mind [/b]
Yeah, Lote "Tiquiri"'s tackle wasn't reckless...

And it was only the NZ Herald that was *****ing. The real NZ Newspaper, The Dominion Post, was very fair, reporting what Graham Henry really said and blah de blah blah who cares...

Originally posted by Ripper@Aug 24 2006, 04:15 PM
The NZ (Auckland) Herald is the best paper in the country.
LOL!!!!!

The NZ Herald is crap. I have only ever seen one good thing in that, and that was the article claiming Superman was gay. Awesome.

Hell, even the Hawkes Bay today is a better read. I'd rather read about some golfers finding a carved head in a tree than read why some wanky Aucklander almost threw up on his salad at the Fancy McFancepants Cafe...

Mind you, todays issue had a great picture of some little boy staring wide-eyed at a set of breasts.

Originally posted by kaftka+Aug 24 2006, 05:08 PM-->
Originally posted by InsaneAsylum@Aug 22 2006, 02:51 PM
<!--QuoteBegin-..::ERIC::..
@Aug 22 2006, 01:55 PM

yes indeed they do..... "lote tiquiri extremely reckless spear tackle" springs to mind
Yeah, Lote "Tiquiri"'s tackle wasn't reckless...

And it was only the NZ Herald that was *****ing. The real NZ Newspaper, The Dominion Post, was very fair, reporting what Graham Henry really said and blah de blah blah who cares... [/b]
Are actually saying the Dom post is NZs best paper? Jesus man, the Dom is so f***ing bad. I can't stand it. Its terrible. I can't believe you actually like it. I wish you were a man so I could punch you in the face.

Originally posted by kaftka+Aug 24 2006, 04:23 PM-->
<!--QuoteBegin-Ripper
@Aug 24 2006, 04:15 PM
The NZ (Auckland) Herald is the best paper in the country.
LOL!!!!!

The NZ Herald is crap. I have only ever seen one good thing in that, and that was the article claiming Superman was gay. Awesome.

Hell, even the Hawkes Bay today is a better read. I'd rather read about some golfers finding a carved head in a tree than read why some wanky Aucklander almost threw up on his salad at the Fancy McFancepants Cafe...

Mind you, todays issue had a great picture of some little boy staring wide-eyed at a set of breasts. [/b]
lol, the Hawkes Bay today is a disgrace, it's not even big enough to be used as toilet paper - you'll run out before your done its fricking small. The articles are so small, the opinions are retarded and the National and World News are lucky to have one page each.

And just because the Aucklanders can afford to eat food of higher quality than fresh Roadkill washed down with *Shudder* Tui's

Latest posts