Who you'd prefer... 3rd hooker and halfback

• Total voters

Caitlyn Jenner

Bench Player
Country Flag
New Zealand
Club or Nation
Hurricanes
The squad will be 37 strong and apparantly won't feature an apprentice.

For me the biggest areas of contention are the props and back 3...

This is what I'd go with... (non-lock-ins in bold)

5 props - Ofa, Hames, Crockett, Laulala, Moli - Hard to pick that last spot... JTA is probably the most likely but Moli is a great prospect and is already a very good player, so I think he's worth taking. Also worth considering Manu, Perry and Eves.

3 hookers - Coles, Taylor, Aumua - They'll probably go with Harris, but for me Aumua deserves to be there more on form and offers so much more going forward than Harris.

5 locks - Whitelock, Retallick, Barrett, Romano, Tuipolotu - Don't think there's really any doubt here... though I really like Lousi.

7 loose forwards - Read, Cane, Squire, Kaino, Savea, Fifita, Todd - I think this is pretty set in stone too. At a stretch they might pick Ioane since we only really have 1 no.8, but I don't think he deserves to be there.

3 halfbacks - Smith, Perenara, TKB - Remains an area where we need to build depth, but TKB is still the best option for the 3rd halfback. Weber & Pulu can fight it out in next year's Super Rugby for the right to replace him. Hall and Drummond could be in the mix too..

3 first fives - Barrett, Sopoaga, Mo'unga - About time Mo'unga made the squad, he's all class.

5 midfielders - SBW, Crotty, ALB, Laumape, Goodhue - Goodhue is probably almost a lock-in himself. Can't see anyone else being picked ahead of him.

6 outside backs - DMac, Ioane, Naholo, Havili, Savea, Duffy - Savea has been pretty good for Wellington and imo deserves a shot at redemption. He's also probably the best man for the job with all the injuries...
Duffy is all class and looks made for test rugby. A classic 14/15 which we all know Shag and co. love... his aerial skills are excellent and he's a very good finisher who makes few mistakes... should definitely be there imo. George Bridge and Tamanivalu should also be right in contention with the way they've been going, but for me they're below the other 2. Tevita Li probably deserves a mention too.

... thoughts?

Last edited:
i would have liked to see a young loosie get a shot over kaino, don't get me wrong, hes been a great servent but he's going to be 36 come the next RWC and i would be very worried if he was still first string by then, if that's the case why not start giving someone else some experience

also, on a more personal note id hate to see him water down his legacy (as others have done) by hanging around trading on the experience" card more and more

i would have liked to see a young loosie get a shot over kaino, don't get me wrong, hes been a great servent but he's going to be 36 come the next RWC and i would be very worried if he was still first string by then, if that's the case why not start giving someone else some experience

also, on a more personal note id hate to see him water down his legacy (as others have done) by hanging around trading on the experience" card more and more
Fair point... I think he deserves to be on the tour on the basis that imo he is still a world class player and he probably adds a lot of value in terms of experience. Given his age and the rise of Squire he'll retire after this year anyway, which will leave plenty of time for other guys to step up.

Squad set to be named in a few hours... On the spots up for grabs, I expect them to go with:

JTA
Harris
Mo'unga (Think this is a given)
Goodhue (Would've thought this was a given too, but the form of Ngatai has been super promising...)
Tamanivalu
Duffy

That being said, I really hope they pick Aumua and Savea. That may be my Canes/Wellington bias speaking, but I genuinely think they deserve it.

- Also still a question mark over Retallick... really hope he can make it, but gotta do what's best for him. I expect he'll be there, but if not, things get interesting... Fifita and Kaino could cover lock allowing them to pick someone from another position... but if not, who would be next in the locking stocks? For me it would be Lousi (again, maybe my Wellington bias, but he has been the best lock in the NPC), but I've got no idea what their pecking order looks like... maybe Tom Franklin? Dominic Bird? Even Jackson Hemopo is worth a real good look imo.

- They may also pick a 3rd loosehead prop, in which case I wouldn't surprised to see Tim Perry, though I'd prefer Pauliasu Manu personally.

Well, glad that Aumua's in but disappointed for Julian. Interesting that Harris is still there, and that Mo'unga isn't.
Glad that Duffy's there too, he deserves it.
Shout out to Perry and Goodhue for making the squad too.
Hopefully this time off will allow Retallick to recuperate, I'm glad he's getting the time off.

Forwards:

Hookers
Asafo Aumua (20, Wellington, uncapped)
Dane Coles (30, Wellington, 55)
Nathan Harris (25, Bay of Plenty, 9)
Codie Taylor (26, Canterbury, 25)

Props
Wyatt Crockett (34, Canterbury, 68)
Kane Hames (29, Tasman, 6)
Nepo Laulala (26, Counties Manukau, 10)
Tim Perry (29, Tasman, uncapped)
Jeffery Toomaga-Allen (26, Wellington, 1)
Ofa Tu'ungafasi (25, Auckland, 11)

Locks
Scott Barrett (23, Taranaki, 14)
Luke Romano (31, Canterbury, 29)
Patrick Tuipulotu (24, Auckland, 15)
Samuel Whitelock (29, Canterbury, 93)

Loose Forwards
Sam Cane (25, Bay of Plenty, 50)
Vaea Fifita (25, Wellington, 3)
Jerome Kaino (34, Auckland, 74)
Kieran Read, captain (31, Counties Manukau, 107)
Ardie Savea (24, Wellington, 21)
Liam Squire (26, Tasman, 12)
Matt Todd (29, Canterbury, 10)

Backs:

Halfbacks
Tawera Kerr–Barlow (27, Waikato, 24)
TJ Perenara (25, Wellington, 39)
Aaron Smith (28, Manawatu, 68)

First five–eighths
Beauden Barrett (26, Taranaki, 59)
Lima Sopoaga (26, Southland, 13)

Midfielders
Ryan Crotty (29, Canterbury, 32)
Jack Goodhue (22, Northland, uncapped)
Ngani Laumape (24, Manawatu, 4)
Anton Lienert-Brown (22, Waikato, 19)
Sonny Bill Williams (32, Counties Manukau, 43)

Outside backs
David Havili (22, Tasman, 3)
Matt Duffie (27, North Harbour, uncapped)
Rieko Ioane (20, Auckland, 10)
Damian McKenzie (22, Waikato, 9)
Waisake Naholo (26, Taranaki, 15)
Seta Tamanivalu (25, Taranaki, 3)

big take away from this, we have a very inexperienced group of props!

5 players will play against the All Blacks when they represent the Barbarians - they will remain with the ABs for the rest of the tour and will be available for selection: Dillon Hunt, Atu Moli, Mitchell Drummond, Richie Mo'unga and Dominic Bird.

Aumua hasn't played super rugby yet... just tryna think who the last player to play for the ABs before super rugby was..... Toeava?

5 players will play against the All Blacks when they represent the Barbarians - they will remain with the ABs for the rest of the tour and will be available for selection: Dillon Hunt, Atu Moli, Mitchell Drummond, Richie Mo'unga and Dominic Bird.
Only for the French leg, but they will all play vs the French Barbarians.

I honestly... I really have been quite rugby'd out this season... And it just happens to be when we finally get a potential star at Hooker. FINALLY, right? I'm going to jump on the old YouTube right now and have a looky.

But, besides that... The only thing that is surprising is Seta over Savea... And its Hansen again, doing his whole "versatility vs skill/impact at position" stuff. But after the obvious of Ioane and Naholo... We are scratching for world class finishers in those positions... And i dont like it. We don't have Nehe, we don't have the potential of Ben Smith playing out on the wing, and now we've left Julian behind... Even no Dagg is a big loss. Our winger class takes a "Tier dip", imo, after Ioane/Naholo which are the only two on "that level".

And our loose forwards are so ridiculous, just... Stupid. There werent a lot of people thinking about that kind of talent after Richie quit.

No Brodie Rettalick? I take it that's because of the recent tragic news he and his wife had?

He makes such a big difference to the AB pack and they miss his physicality.

But, besides that... The only thing that is surprising is Seta over Savea
To be fair, Seta was great for the Crusaders and has been brilliant for Taranaki... I would've preferred Savea too but can understand why they went with Seta... he's done everything right and brings a great all round skill set and genuine X-Factor.

Only for the French leg, but they will all play vs the French Barbarians.
Is the Tuesday game in Lyon against the French Barbarians? I've seen it advertised as France and France XV v NZ and it has me confused.

Looking at that squad I'm regretting that this side isn't going to London or Dublin, I think they'd be very even games with the home sides potentially being small favourites. France might cause a fright but Wales and Scotland don't have what it takes to score and defend against NZ respectively. Rough estimates of exact scorelines (All NZ wins) in the tests would be 29 - 24 vs France, 35 - 13 v Wales and 45 - 22 vs Scotland. The game against Scotland could have a few worldies with the back threes those sides will throw out.

Is the Tuesday game in Lyon against the French Barbarians? I've seen it advertised as France and France XV v NZ and it has me confused.
The tuesday game is against the French Barbarians / a French XV following the test.

Here's the whole tour:
1. vs THE BARBARIANS, Saturday 4 November, Twickenham, LONDON
Kick-off: 2.30PM BST (NZT: 2.30AM, Sunday 5 November),

2. vs. FRANCE, Saturday 11 November, Stade de France, PARIS
Kick-off: 8.45PM CET (NZT: 7.45AM, Sunday 12 November)

3. vs. FRANCE XV, Tuesday 14 November, Parc Olympique Lyonnais, LYON
Kick-off 6.55PM CET (NZT: 5.55AM, Wednesday, 15 November)

4. vs. SCOTLAND, Saturday 18 November, Murrayfield, EDINBURGH
Kick-off: 3.00PM BST (NZT: 3.00AM, Sunday 19 November, NZT)

5. vs. WALES, Saturday 25 November, Millennium Stadium, CARDIFF
Kick-off: 5.15PM BST (NZT: 5.15AM, Sunday 26 November, NZT)

France might cause a fright but Wales and Scotland don't have what it takes to score and defend against NZ respectively.
ABs wont be taking anyone lightly. its when u think u got it in the bag is when most likely it'll bite in the azz.
no one thought Ireland had a chance in Chicago or the WBs in Brisbane.

To be fair, Seta was great for the Crusaders and has been brilliant for Taranaki... I would've preferred Savea too but can understand why they went with Seta... he's done everything right and brings a great all round skill set and genuine X-Factor.
agree . Jules can have a rest. a good long break to refresh himself wont do him any harm. he's got a baby on the way and thers nothing like progeny to remind you your place in the universe and make you try to be a better person. better people make better ABs.
Seta is a good fit for this tour

Latest posts