• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

All Blacks look for new coach

I hear, on good word, that Graham Henry isn't doing anything at the moment. Maybe you guys should give him a call. I believe he took his last team to all new heights in rugby.

Bernard Laporte? You'd only have to match a government pension to bring him to the Dark Side.

It'll be Deans, with Colin Cooper as Forwards coach.

The NZRU has never re-appointed a coach, regardless of their record.

The only reason they haven't just given the reins over to Deans is because they (the NZRU board) would basically be admitting they were equally to blame for allowing the various costly adventures of the Henry administration.

In saying that, if they were to stick with the current coaching panel it wouldn't bother me one bit. They're a well balanced and astute panel who could get more still out of the AB's.

Either way NZ is in for a strong 4 years of coaching until 2011.

Bernard Laporte? You'd only have to match a government pension to bring him to the Dark Side. [/b]

With his coaching record he would have gotten axed a long time ago if he were head of the AB's. I don't think he's a very good coach to be honest. And he creeps me out.

Bernard Laporte? You'd only have to match a government pension to bring him to the Dark Side. [/b]

hang.gif
yourself

Deans, head coach and backs coach.
Hansen, forwards coach.
Henry, technical advisor.
Mike Cron, scrum doctor.
Fitzy, team manager.

:]

I hear, on good word, that Graham Henry isn't doing anything at the moment. Maybe you guys should give him a call. I believe he took his last team to all new heights in rugby. [/b]

Maybe he should go coach Ireland. Take them to all new heights

Now days Graham Henry has the better record then any rugby coach world wide

We should never have fired Mitchell.
[/b]
Your loss, our gain :p

I think the NZRU should take a stand and not fire thier coach after they lose a world cup, look at Henrys record and you will see he is a good coach, I think that Rugby is becoming a little like football where the blame is always placed on the coach and no the players....the coaching tactics in the quarters were fine, it's just that the on field leadership and ability to change to circumstances wasn't there...hell, if a coach wasn't fired perhaps that would halt the vicious cycle and make the pressure lessen come world cup as they know thier jobs aren't neccesarily on the line..

Well said. But the NZ fans are far too fickle for that plan. I mean Mitchell was an amazing coach, he just couldn't communicate with the media very well and came off looking like an dope to the public and hence got the ax. Henry again is an amazing coach but as far as the NZRFU is concerned big heads have to roll to keep the public happy.

As far as I'm concerned, I've never seen a man with such a perpetual scowl on his face i.e. Graham Henry. I have never once seen the man having an au naturale simle on his face. Its like it pains him to do anything other than that scowl.

Well said. But the NZ fans are far too fickle for that plan. I mean Mitchell was an amazing coach, he just couldn't communicate with the media very well and came off looking like an dope to the public and hence got the ax. Henry again is an amazing coach but as far as the NZRFU is concerned big heads have to roll to keep the public happy. [/b]

Except for poor selection policies and his teams continually refusing to play defence properly.

Well said. But the NZ fans are far too fickle for that plan. I mean Mitchell was an amazing coach,[/b]

This same coach your talking about ruined 3 top NZ players career's because of his aragance... Not in a million year's would Mitchell (dick head) ever coach the All Blacks again. He is an absolute ARSE!!!

<div class='quotemain'>
Well said. But the NZ fans are far too fickle for that plan. I mean Mitchell was an amazing coach,[/b]

This same coach your talking about ruined 3 top NZ players career's because of his aragance... Not in a million year's would Mitchell (dick head) ever coach the All Blacks again. He is an absolute ARSE!!!
[/b][/quote]

For once (and probably the last time) i agree with you diehardkiwi07. Mitchell is a asshole. I wish Graham Henry would come back, I can't see the AB's having the same form (prior to rwc) under anyone else.

Making a very big mistake getting rid of Henry. He's a very good coach, one loss which due to controversial circumstances (not his fault they lost and suss reffing). Keep him again and they'll win the next wc. They NZ team he coached were the best ever and.. so freakin good they shouldve won 2007 wc.

Henry doesn't deserve to be sacked.

IMO the coach is responsible for choosing what style rugby his team plays. Henry and Co introduced an all out attacking/expansive style of play which the ABs have playing for the past 4 years.
Now my question is, why did the ABs completely change their style of play in the 2nd half of the quarter-final from what they have been playing over the last 4 years? Did they not have belief or faith on their own attack? They could not adjust to different situations when they were on the back foot.
You can't blame the ref. Yes the ref made a couple of errors, but the ABs made more errors.

Looking at 2004, 2005 and 2006, the ABs played most of their best rugby at the end of the year tours. The players had been through entire season of rugby, Super 12/14, tri nations, npc and yet play their best at the end of the year. This year the AB players probably only played half the amount of games then previous years. Reconditioning just ruined the players routine since they began their professional AB careers.

I think they should keep Graham Henry on. Me, Webby and IBB were chatting about this and we all agree that he's got the hunger for another four years. Fair enough he might be a little bit old by then but Bobby Robson is 74 and he's only just considering retiring from coaching in football. My opinion, the NZRFU should have faith in Henry much like how the RFU had faith in Sir Clive Woodward. Who knows, maybe we'll be calling him "Sir Graham" in four years time? If he isn't re-hired, we might never know :(

What would happen to anyone else in or outside of New Zealand who would want the job if Graham Henry was re-hired. Would there be a fall out with potential coaches moving to coach teams abroad or what?

I think they should keep Graham Henry on. Me, Webby and IBB were chatting about this and we all agree that he's got the hunger for another four years. Fair enough he might be a little bit old by then but Bobby Robson is 74 and he's only just considering retiring from coaching in football. My opinion, the NZRFU should have faith in Henry much like how the RFU had faith in Sir Clive Woodward. Who knows, maybe we'll be calling him "Sir Graham" in four years time? If he isn't re-hired, we might never know :(

What would happen to anyone else in or outside of New Zealand who would want the job if Graham Henry was re-hired. Would there be a fall out with potential coaches moving to coach teams abroad or what?
[/b]

Good question.... If Graham stays put (and I hope he does) the 3 future coaches of the All Blacks after Henry (in probable order) may be something like Deans, Gatland and then Pat Lam.

Now Deans may get the pip and head overseas, although most intl coaching spots are now filled. But my point is that the allure of the ABs coaching position is such that I believe that always accept the job when offered later in the future. I just hope the NZRFU handles the whole affair with integrity so that whoever dips out this time doesnt end up completely disillusioned in NZ Rugby.

Kind of nice to know we also have depth in our coaching stocks!

Latest posts