• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

An inventive idea

M

Mr. Laxative

Okay, this may seem complicated, but do take your time to read, comment and/or summarise.

This i something that I've recently posted on the EA Sports UK site and maybe you guys would like to delve even further into the mind of Jack Lattimore.

Firstly the forward play needs improving. Mauls need to happen more often with a revamped system. Cross between Rugby Challenge and Rugby 2001. Have the abiltiy to add and remove players and put a drive on. You need to be able to control when you hand the ball back and have a big shunt button.

So a maul with same circular tapping as RC2006 and the dig push thing from Rugby 2001. If you use dig push or shunt to early you'll get driven back because the consistent circular will become less consistent (this system should also be implemented in scrums). In mauls only there should be the ability to try and rip the ball while the maul is on if the oppositon haven't already moved it back.

A similar system should be used for rucks but the circular thing is gone, rather just a shunt. Stripping the ball should become use of hands and if the controlled player is on there feet they won't get penalised. Using the L3 button to press down to start hands then flick back (to your side) repeatedly and quickly with the L-Analogue to pull back. If you are a tackled player you can hold the ball using one of the shoulder buttons.

Before the ball comes back you can use the one of the face buttons to select a player normally unselected, then using the right analog stick you can move him in at a particular pace. By pressing the face button and L2 to change originally controlled player you can push two players into the ruck at once to give you an extra advantage. (Adding players system for maul as well). Or you can just do the normal and get players in quickly.

Passing from a ruck or maul should be as follows: One tap r1/l1 for forwards, double tap r1/l1 to first reciever, 5/8 and tripple tap for player inside the 5/8.

Cosmetic updates are a given, but with the above and the RC06 kicking system I'd be satisfied.

Everytime someone critiques a rugby game i am again reminded of how briliiant the JLR prgrammers were back in their day.

Yeh whats up with that? Lomu had the basics all sorted out, thats why it was so fricken awesome! The rucking system was awesome, you could actually shunt the other team off the ball. How hard can it be to implement it? I don't reckon it'd be hard at all.

i can't help that any of the rucking systems we devise would make the game impossible for the majority of casual gamers. last night 2 of my mates played the game for the first team, against each other, and just kept running offside at rucks.
thinking about it, maybe the reason ea go for a semi automated system is cos its meant to be accessible to everyone?

thats probably the reason
But then they should have an option for choosing if you want manual or automatic scrums and rucks.

I don't see why Maul's need to happen more often, they occur from kicks and lineouts, that's pretty much how they occur in real life. Very very rarely would a maul occur from open play.

As for controlling them, yes there maybe should be some rolling and breakaway but to be honest, I'm not a big fan of them in real rugby. In my view it's obstruction.

As for automatic rucks, I had my doubts, but after playing I think they work quite well. Any time I've lost the ball it seems reasonable enough.

As soon as you try to implement something, what usually happens is that lesser teams find it hard to compete.

Originally posted by mikeeboy@Feb 23 2006, 06:43 AM
I don't see why Maul's need to happen more often, they occur from kicks and lineouts, that's pretty much how they occur in real life. Very very rarely would a maul occur from open play.

As for controlling them, yes there maybe should be some rolling and breakaway but to be honest, I'm not a big fan of them in real rugby. In my view it's obstruction.

As for automatic rucks, I had my doubts, but after playing I think they work quite well. Any time I've lost the ball it seems reasonable enough.

As soon as you try to implement something, what usually happens is that lesser teams find it hard to compete.
I have to disagree, teams with a more classic play like Argentina, use them considerably, as a set play. I think it should be one of the choices in set plays.

Lets discuss this further, should we have setplays we're we set up like a semi maul with the forwards? What about the option to have automatic rucks and manual rucks? Discuss.

I'll drag this to your attention again... sorry, but please post your ideas for rucks/mauls/scrums in here.

Even lineouts.

Then we can discuss them.

Latest posts