• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

And the Oscar goes to.....

Q

QKXV

http://www.sarugby.com/news/News/article/sid=7603.html

Morgan Freeman is set to star as Nelson Mandela in an adaptation of John Carlin's book The Human Factor: Nelson Mandela and the Game That Changed the World.

According to leading entertainment website EW.com Freeman will star as Madiba at the conclusion of the '95 Rugby World Cup tournament in South Africa - placing its siginifance against the backdrop of the old apartheid regime.

Academy award winner Clint Eastwood is said to be seriously considering director the movie which could also star Matt Damon as Francois Pienaar.

Freeman told Vareity.com, "I have known Nelson Mandela personally for quite some time, and am continually in awe of his enormous presence in the world," Freeman said. "The opportunity to portray him in this film is a great honor."[/b]

What's the bet that Nelson Mandela gets in a whole bunch of gun battles and car chases? Bloody hollywood...

PS. Hopefully there is some rugby footage...

lol... matt damon... lol :)

well hopefully there is some rugby footage, and make sure that they get the numbers right, not like the departed where dicaprio was playing number 10 on the flank of the scrum o_O :)

Everyone's been saying that rugby needs to crack the American market. And what better opportunity for the game than on the back of one of its (and South Africa's) more poignant and well publicised historical moments.

Good luck to Matt Damon trying to master the SA accent though.
Thats gotta be one of the hardest to pull off convincingly.

Leonardo DiCaprio struggled admirably in Blood Diamond.

But heck, I could Jason Bourne as a South African flank forward quite easily...Schalk Burger uses alot of the same hand-to-hand fighting moves at ruck and maul time I think?

But heck, I could Jason Bourne as a South African flank forward quite easily...Schalk Burger uses alot of the same hand-to-hand fighting moves at ruck and maul time I think?
[/b]

Aaaahahahahaah, that's gold!!! :lol2tn:

Should be very interesting. Hollywood's going through a bit of an African phaze at the moment. Good to see.

I think this could be really good if done -right-.

I also actually thought Dicaprio did a good job with the SA accent in Blood diamond, obviously he was never going to sound 100%, but it was close enough, and even included some SA sweariing such as -doos- :p

I also really like Morgan Freeman as an actor, not too sure I can picture Matt damon playing rugby, but I guess I'll just have to see it first.

Everyone's been saying that rugby needs to crack the American market. [/b]

Well I also read in the paper earlier this year that Wesley Snipes may star as Jonah Lomu in a movie about his life. There were also other actors in consideration but Snipes is the major one that stands out among them. :D

Will they show the scene where Nelson Mandela, dressed in drag and under the alias "Suzie" poisoned the AB's Burgers?

Will they show the scene where Nelson Mandela, dressed in drag and under the alias "Suzie" poisoned the AB's Burgers? [/b]
Nah.

They`ll be showing the scene where 15 AB`s choke, repeatedly, on their post-match naartjies though. :bleh!:

Yeah, well, when your busy puking on the sidelin,e eating and drinking post game while a gold watch is awarded to the ref who steered the other team to an undeserved victory in the Semi-Final the week before isn't recommended.

How are they gonna make this

damoncy6.jpg

look like this

pienaarf19941126sfllp8.jpg

I can see Christopher Judge (Teal'c, from Stargate) as Jonah Lomu.

But they might want a big name actor for the role, so how about The Rock?

I do wonder how they will portray Louis Luyt - I've only heard bits and pieces about him, mainly controversial, so might he feature in the film?

MAAATTTT DAAAAMOOONNN!! :p

Can't really see this working, well judging by the Hollywood spin machine it'll probably be a big money production but most rugby players will know its about a million miles away from the truth.

Hopefully they won't be filming in SA, wouldn't want the cast to end up with any unfortunate stomach problems whilst they are making the movie :p

Sting would be a better François Pieenar...

Seriously, this is a good news for both Rugby (a good light) and Cinema's lover. (maybe another masterpiece from Clint Eastwood)

I agree with the Rock being Jonah as for wesley snipes .....c'mon. Matt DAmon might pull it off as Francois or they should use Crispin Glover.

Latest posts