• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Andy Farrell appointed as Ireland's new defence coach

He must have made a very good impression on certain people during the Lions
Appears that way. I presume his insider knowledge of the England camp and a bunch of Welsh and Scottish players from the Lions tour will have the rest of the coaching setup sponging information from him.

Ah balls, as long as he's just the defence coach I can live with it but it sure is surprising.

I wasn't expecting it and while not exactly excited, I'll give him a fair chance to make his mark.

So.... Eóghan Farrell to play for Ireland in the Olympic 7s then as a prelude to switch? :lol:

Appears that way. I presume his insider knowledge of the England camp and a bunch of Welsh and Scottish players from the Lions tour will have the rest of the coaching setup sponging information from him.

Thankfully we have an entirely new regime now so hopefully his inside knowledge won't be too relevant!

By the way, I definitely think you should let me him be your backs coach too. He's really good at that..

How many blindside flankers have Ireland produced recently? Get use to seeing them in every position ;)

Wow, certainly did.

He must have made a very good impression on certain people during the Lions

That has always been the word; I believe MM has posted to this effect before and I've heard it from others.

Farrell was a poor de facto head coach, but I can't see Schmidt letting him have his head the way Lancaster did. He'll do well at his brief.

Increases the possibility of him coming back to England as actual head coach some time mind.

Luckily what he knows about rugby (other than making tackles) can be written on the back of a very small postage stamp.

If he's kept chained up and only wheeled out for defence sessions, then he'll be great - don't be surprised to see the dressing room go to ****, though. Toxic.

Thankfully we have an entirely new regime now so hopefully his inside knowledge won't be too relevant!
I'm thinking more in terms of the tendencies of players in different situations, knowing what their strengths and weaknesses are, giving insight into what England viewed as the strengths and weaknesses of the Ireland team etc. That can be invaluable.

As a defence coach, I'll reserve judgement until seeing what he implements. He'll have plenty of help from Joe Schmidt in that area anyway since Schmidt himself is also adept at coaching defensive patterns.

Well I think his first job will be to include the Burgess Gaelic Football Club goalkeeper to play full back for Ireland.

Latest posts