• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Another Prop retires..

J

Juggernaut

www.planetrugby.com

Reds prop Anthony Mathison has announced his retirement from all rugby after earning 24 Super rugby caps for the Reds.

A painful worn joint in his back which flares up whenever he packs into a scrum persuaded the 26-year-old to call it quits, following a discussion with Reds medical staff.

"If I was a back rower or a back it would not be an issue, but when I pack into the front row the pressure produces an intense pain that actually takes my breath away and it's a few minutes before I can breathe properly again," Mathison said.

Mathison made his Queensland debut in 2002 against the Crusaders and has represented Australia at 'A' level, Under 21, Under 19 and Schools.

He was Reds Rookie of the Year in 2004 and rates the upset 23-7 victory over the Waratahs at Suncorp Stadium that year as the highlight of his career.

Mathison will now return to university with the plan of eventually becoming a secondary school teacher. [/b]

Good luck bro and all the best in your future endeavours. :bravo:

He was a fairly quiet player, but all the same was very consistent for the reds. In Australia its always bad when a prop retires because the number of quality props is rapidly diminishing.

Good luck to him.

At 26 having to call it quits. That sucks big time, I guess it's just the nature of the front row at the top level.

Latest posts