• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Any one going to watch the Opening ceremony?

<div class='quotemain'>
GF watching it right now....f***ing boring I tell you. Plus China has made it some kind of: China Historic Show. The Olympics are not ABOUT China, they are just IN China. :wall:
[/b]

i know stupid idiots, canada, toronto should of won the bid. Chinas pollution is well above the "saftey guideline" for the athletics and they still won bid :( .

I did like the drumming and the fireworks though. [/b][/quote]

Torontonians would never cough up the money for the stadiums. They're still ****** about dropping 500mil for the skydome about 20 or so years ago. Would have been interesting though, Toronto holding the summer olympics this year and then Vancouver holding the 2010 winter games. Has that ever happened before?

Well it was a great ceremony but I'd be unhappy if London spent that much on the Olympics. That's enough money to build a few hospitals and who is going to remember those extra fireworks tomorrow morning? Britain doesn't need to redefine itself with PR like China does, everyone knows Britain is an old fashioned but progressive democracy that likes tea and big red buses and no amount of people in colourful costumes are going to change that.

To be honest I did find the Opening Ceremony very very boring, but that was just me!

Did you see some of those athletes walking around the track, good god some of them were sweating like mad. It was noted on the BBC also!

Dissapointed that China could not sort out the pollution but I reckon it will be a good Olympic games, but not as good as 2012!

I thought the human keyboard was pretty impressive and it was a novel way to light the flame as well. [/b]
Did it beat the flaming arrow of Barcelona? That was inspired.

The only thing I saw of this was walking through the Guildhall Sq in Portsmouth. They installed one of those giant TVs a couple of weeks ago - permanent fixture (Orwell's 1984 anyone?) - and there was a crowd of about 200 Chinese people gathered before it, waving that damn communist flag. Well, not waving - it sort of stood there limp, and everyone was kind of glum and quiet.

I hope the smog reacts badly with steroids.

<div class='quotemain'> That was like nothing of this world. Simply an amazing opening ceremony. How can it be topped? Good luck London... [/b]

Sorry but I thought it was crap. First of all, the opening ceremony is NOT supposed to be a promotional show about China.
[/b][/quote]

I do share you're views too Charles but you gotta admit, all issues aside, it made for spectacular viewing.

Still gotta wonder how many lives were ruined just to fit in a few extra fire works. Also found it wierd watching them go off above Mao Zedong's Mausoleum in Tiananmen Square, doesn't really fit the Olympic theme at all.

Some of the effects were quite cool aye.. i like how the lights resembled the Olympic rings.. then it just rose up, i was like wtf!

The fireworks were kool as too but i think they just made the pollution worse lol.

The opening was too long ay, some of the athletes would have been waiting in thurr for ages!

Everything was fantastic apart from the end when it took forever to actually light the torch. What was up with that guy running in the air around the stadium for 5mins. C'mon! Just light the damn thing.

<div class='quotemain'> I thought the human keyboard was pretty impressive and it was a novel way to light the flame as well. [/b]

[/b][/quote]

Inspired yes but it missed the target so they just lit it normally.

Some of the effects were quite cool aye.. i like how the lights resembled the Olympic rings.. then it just rose up, i was like wtf!

The fireworks were kool as too but i think they just made the pollution worse lol.

The opening was too long ay, some of the athletes would have been waiting in thurr for ages!
[/b]

Then they don't have to go, the Opening ceremony is all about the host country showcasing itself, the closing ceremony is more for the athletes.

I ended up watching it, I reckon it's cheating if you used video screens like the Chinese did, it should be a bunch of people doing awesome stuff, this was a few people doing alright stuff with a video screen doing most of the work, I'd prefer to watch Batman if I wanted to watch a video screen.

<div class='quotemain'>
<div class='quotemain'> I thought the human keyboard was pretty impressive and it was a novel way to light the flame as well. [/b]

[/b][/quote]

Inspired yes but it missed the target so they just lit it normally.[/b][/quote]
:D

Latest posts