Which Tyler

Hall of Fame
TRF Legend
Country Flag
France
Club or Nation
Bath
Or otherwise work with kids, for that matter:

https://www.gov.uk/government/news/phe-launches-new-psychological-first-aid-training
PHE launches new Psychological First Aid training
The online training, developed by PHE, is now available for those supporting children and young people affected by coronavirus (COVID-19).
From today, people who care for or work with children and young people aged up to 25 who have been affected by COVID-19 (or other emergencies or individual crises) will be able to access a new online Psychological First Aid (PFA) training course.

About 7% of UK children have attempted suicide by age of 17 – study
Covid crisis will worsen mental health of young people, say experts concerned at rise in self-harming.

About 7% of children have attempted suicide by the age of 17 and almost one in four say they have self-harmed in the past year, according to a paper in the British Journal of Psychiatry, and experts say the figures could rise as a result of the pandemic.

High levels of severe mental health difficulties: The prevalence of high psychological distress is 16.1%, 12-month prevalence of self-harm is 24.1% and lifetime attempted suicide is 7.4%.

Stark sex differences: Prevalences of mental health difficulties are consistently higher among females than males: 22.1% of females and 10.1% of males experienced high psychological distress, 28.2% of females and 20.1% of males self-harmed and 10.6% of females and 4.3% of males attempted suicide.

Large inequalities: Females, White adolescents, sexual minorities and those from lower income households have poorer mental health across most outcomes. The exceptions are: no ethnic differences in attempted suicide and no socioeconomic differences in self-harm.

Increased risk among sexual minority adolescents: There are stark inequalities by sexuality, with over half (55.8%) of LGB+ young people reporting self-harming in the last year and 21.7% of LGB+ young people having attempted suicide.

Last edited:
Cheers for that I'll have a read. I help coach minis rugby.

Something that really interests me and what can be done to help everyone's mental health. If this pandemic has exposed anything is how badly mental health has been affected amongst all age groups and lack of education coping strategies to deal with it because it can ultimately lead to sad stats like the 7% of UK children attempting to take their own lives. This is the ultimate thing we want to avoid and eradicate.

Talking is one way, but what happens if a person doesn't want to or feel like talking? Or not part of a culture or upbringing that allows talking about one's feelings openly to improve mental health.

Playing sport and socializing has been another way to help one's mental health, but what happens if there was another lockdown? Or if kids don't actually enjoy playing sport or interested and been pushed into it by their parents?

That's why personally I think meditation techniques should be taught from young age. To help cope with anxiety and staying in the present moment as part of a wider discussion and education on mental health.

Just like physical exercise; mental health can also be worked on each day.

Something that really interests me and what can be done to help everyone's mental health. If this pandemic has exposed anything is how badly mental health has been affected amongst all age groups and lack of education coping strategies to deal with it because it can ultimately lead to sad stats like the 7% of UK children attempting to take their own lives. This is the ultimate thing we want to avoid and eradicate.

Talking is one way, but what happens if a person doesn't want to or feel like talking? Or not part of a culture or upbringing that allows talking about one's feelings openly to improve mental health.

Playing sport and socializing has been another way to help one's mental health, but what happens if there was another lockdown? Or if kids don't actually enjoy playing sport or interested and been pushed into it by their parents?

That's why personally I think meditation techniques should be taught from young age. To help cope with anxiety and staying in the present moment as part of a wider discussion and education on mental health.

They do teach meditation in primary schools now and their mental health programmes are amazing compared to what I thought they'd be. This is all the primary schools in my area, so not sure if it's national.

I have practised meditation for about ten years after going to classes at the Thai Buddhist temple in Wimbledon. (I'm not a Buddhist: the class was open to all faiths and none but taught by Buddhist monks and a layman). It has been a good technique for keeping me grounded and I would have benefited from it when was at school, I am sure, not instead of sport but in addition to it - it's a sort of internal form of exercise and self-discipline.

Latest posts